Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I got this last month from Lock's (as a replacement for the Muirfield that I bought from them), their Sandwich model:

14657_195576942062_688147062_3613159_2204107_n.jpg

Personally, it fits and is made better than the Muirfield and the cloth is superior.

21943_244273827062_688147062_3842545_6072824_n.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Great cap!

Charlie, that is a beauty.

I took up the newsboys and 8/4s this past week because it's turned so cold here, below zero, and I can get a hood over them.

Are you able to just walk into the store and pick yours out, or did you have to order it?

Looks great!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Sam Craig said:
Charlie, that is a beauty.

I took up the newsboys and 8/4s this past week because it's turned so cold here, below zero, and I can get a hood over them.

Are you able to just walk into the store and pick yours out, or did you have to order it?

Looks great!

I went to the store to try all that was to offer. I went to Bates beforehand but their's are rather flimsy and light. The Lock ones had some weight to it and are made better IMHO.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
IMHO accepted

Quality will out.

It's well worth it, in the long run, to get a better made cap to begin with, than to save a few bucks — and often that is ALL you save — and get something that looks like a discount store left over, after a few wearings.

I got a lambskin "little apple" cap a couple of years ago and thought it was a little pricey, until I'd worn it several times and it just kept getting better.

Now there is a fellow hat and cap wearer at church who is trying to convince me that it's too small.

He's wrong, by the way.

You obviously made an excellent choice with that cap.:eusa_clap

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
I got a pretty basic grey tweed one from Hats in the Belfry in Annapolis while I was out there one weekend. It's a great hat for just knocking around or going to work on a windy day or having a run on the bicycle when it's chilly.

filfoster

One Too Many
Late as usual

Old Fogey UK said:
These Hat People caps look great !
The extra full looks a bit extreme but the full looks wider than a B Wear, so a Hat people full is going to be the one for me.
It wasn't until I began recreating Tom Joad's costume from Grapes of Wrath, that I discovered that most newsboy, or 8/4 or Gatsby hats, whatever you call them, now have those execrable snaps on the brims. The last ones I bought, 8 years ago or so, were tweed Borsalinos that did NOT have these. Imagine my chagrin to see nothing but 'snapped' brims. Tom Joad would not be amused.
Where to go for help? Of course.
Anyway, The Hat People hats are perfect. Thanks, again Loungers for the answers to all things hats.

PoohBang

Suspended
filfoster said:
It wasn't until I began recreating Tom Joad's costume from Grapes of Wrath, that I discovered that most newsboy, or 8/4 or Gatsby hats, whatever you call them, now have those execrable snaps on the brims. The last ones I bought, 8 years ago or so, were tweed Borsalinos that did NOT have these. Imagine my chagrin to see nothing but 'snapped' brims. Tom Joad would not be amused.
Where to go for help? Of course.
Anyway, The Hat People hats are perfect. Thanks, again Loungers for the answers to all things hats.

old hats had snaps too...

PoohBang

Suspended
filfoster said:
Thanks. I am hampered by lack of samples or pics. The movie version of Tom Joad's hat does not show any snaps so that's what I need. The source above looks just right and Michael at Hatterdashery is interested in recreating this cap too.

my 1935 cap has a snap.

not saying all do, just they did exist. I have two hat people caps without snaps. And love them all.

and in the pic from the film of Tom Joad it looks like his has snap on his brim....

filfoster

One Too Many
Snappy patter

PoohBang said:
my 1935 cap has a snap.

not saying all do, just they did exist. I have two hat people caps without snaps. And love them all.

and in the pic from the film of Tom Joad it looks like his has snap on his brim....
PoohBang, thanks for your help. I think I'll be happier with a 'snapless' hat since I can't get a definitive photo of the hat to show a snap and it's my impression that caps without the snaps were more common, so a better representation of the time. Perhaps some Lounger has the skinny on the 'real' hat used in the film?

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
J peterman Thug Cap

Hello Everyone:

Got this J Peterman Thug Cap last Year and even though I'm pretty new to caps and hats I guess I've inadvertantly been collecting hats for years sort of one of those things you realize one day when you look in your closet and think "Damn I have a lot of hats".

I am really into leather jackets Aero, Lost Worlds, Vanson etc. for years but as I come with some interest in Fedoras i.e working in a fine Mens Store in Atlanta during the 60's before I "tuned in" ( I won't carry that any further) and sold quite a few Knox, Borsalinos, and Stetsons as well as learning the "Creasing process" with a Steamer there. I have now succumbed to the reality that I also dig hats.

Gonna be at Monteagle and look forward to searching for the perfect hat again and again and again and again until my "Life is Complete" because I found the perfect Hat, like the perfect Leather jacket, like the perfect Pocketknife, like the perfect Harley.... damn I must be obsessed.......

093-1.jpg
1261-A.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
Wow! The J. Peterman cap looks great with that leather coat! Killer combo!

mike said:
Sounds great! Let's see some pictures!

The buckle can't fix this sizing problem for you? Was it not constructed to function rather added just for looks?

I finally had a chance to take some shots of this great cap. Sorry about the delay. It's beginning to fit a little better as I break it in and the chambray is softening up quite nicely. I tossed it in the clothes drier on "air fluff" (no heat) with a couple of balled up pairs of socks. :D

381201197.jpg

381201195.jpg

381201199.jpg

381201493.jpg

381201203.jpg

381201200.jpg

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Viper Man said:
Wow! The J. Peterman cap looks great with that leather coat! Killer combo!

I finally had a chance to take some shots of this great cap. Sorry about the delay. It's beginning to fit a little better as I break it in and the chambray is softening up quite nicely. I tossed it in the clothes drier on "air fluff" (no heat) with a couple of balled up pairs of socks. :D

381201197.jpg

381201195.jpg

381201199.jpg

381201493.jpg

381201203.jpg

381201200.jpg

Thanks Man,

They have a new version on sale right now but I'm holding off to see if they'll cut prices again. They usually drop prices the second time around the end of January early February to around $48.00.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
filfoster said:
PoohBang, thanks for your help. I think I'll be happier with a 'snapless' hat since I can't get a definitive photo of the hat to show a snap and it's my impression that caps without the snaps were more common, so a better representation of the time. Perhaps some Lounger has the skinny on the 'real' hat used in the film?

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=43774

Take a look through the Vintage Caps Photo Gallery Thread. The vast majority appear to have snaps. I know every one I've run across has had one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic