Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson 8 panel

So I got this 8-panel (thats as much as I know about newsboys) with some other hats. Just wondering what you can tell me about it. What I know is the top is 8 panels, appears to be wool, has the Stetson mark and a United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Wkrs Int Union tag. Also says Made in U.S.A. and Medium. Fits like a 7 1/8 - 7 1/4. Also has the furry fold-down ear flap warmer and the brim snap.

thanks
B

news_1.jpg

news_2.jpg

news_3.jpg

news_4.jpg

jaymag_87

New in Town
I need some help, if someone is so inclined

I ordered a Newsboy from Hats in the Belfry, Dobbs Wellington. It arrived a couple days ago, no damage in shipping. However, it has a more vintage look than I would like. The best way to describe it is that it was too "poofy". I have returned it to exchange for a Belfry Street Newsie. I'm hoping it is not as "poofy". I'm hoping that someone may be able to direct me to a hat less vintage in look.

I guess you could say I'm looking for a Newsboy that is not as form-fitting as a Pub Cap, but not as "poofy" as a more traditional vintage-looking Newsboy. It doesn't help that I have a big melon, 7 5/8. :D

Any ideas? [huh]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
buler said:
So I got this 8-panel (thats as much as I know about newsboys) with some other hats. Just wondering what you can tell me about it. What I know is the top is 8 panels, appears to be wool, has the Stetson mark and a United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Wkrs Int Union tag. Also says Made in U.S.A. and Medium. Fits like a 7 1/8 - 7 1/4. Also has the furry fold-down ear flap warmer and the brim snap.

thanks
B

It's probably from the 1980s.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Here is my latest, I picked it up last week. It's Donegal tweed, woven in Ireland and assembled here.

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

There's even a little "note" on the inside from the weaver who says the weaving was done by a family in a small cottage in Donegal, Ireland.

IMG_1878.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
One of the cooler threads. Good seein' some tweed on your head Mr. H.

Thanks so much Matt! Great to hear the feedback. The fact that it's a "local" purchase and fabrication makes it all the better. I have been really enjoying wearing it - and the floppiness of it - just right.

Ernest - thanks for the kind words. :eusa_clap

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Where can you find the golf/driving cap like the one shown here on the Duke of Windsor? It seems difficult to find caps in this style that don't hug the head too close - I have a couple of the 8-piece style that have this kind of fit, but would like one of this style as well.

duke-dog.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Mountain Man said:
Where can you find the golf/driving cap like the one shown here on the Duke of Windsor? It seems difficult to find caps in this style that don't hug the head too close ...

The cap in the portrait above is almost certainly a one-piece octagonal. Very popular in the golden era, yet vintage ones are a rare find. Octagonal, because of the eight vertically darted seams running down the crown’s sides. As far as I can tell, this kind is not being reproduced at all today. Sometimes, octagonal caps had a fancy pleated back. (See photos below.)

More info here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=47356

MarcAugust09011.jpg

df51_3.jpg

eb36_3.jpg

Captutorial007.jpg

Captutorial008.jpg

Captutorial009.jpg

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
The cap in the portrait above is almost certainly a one-piece octagonal. Very popular in the golden era, yet vintage ones are a rare find. Octagonal, because of the eight vertically darted seams running down the crown’s sides. As far as I can tell, this kind is not being reproduced at all today. Sometimes, octagonal caps had a fancy pleated back. (See photos below.)

More info here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=47356

I do see a lot of that type of cap in old photos and movies with that nice, broad look - I have been into vintage for over 30 years and have not seen one in person - nor an all-around view as in your photos. Thanks much for the info & the pics!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy