Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

La Strada

New in Town
Mark, Thats a great film clip of the streets of London!

I wanted to ask if anyone has a cap from Al's Attire located on Grant Ave in North Beach SF? I stopped in and it looks like they make a great custom cap with leather sweat and a nice selection of fabrics to choose from. Would be worth checking out if you the area.

Also, "World Hats" in NYC's Lower East Side had a very broad selection of quality caps.

Big_e

Practically Family
My Zasu cap came in! Service was fast, the cap was sent out as soon as my paypal payment cleared and I got it 4 days from that and Zasu let me know when it was sent out.
Very well made. The descripion said it's a 7 1/4 to 7 3/8. I'm a 7 1/4 and it fits great just a tad loose but nothing to really point out. Guess I prefer a slightly loose cap but I like a tight fedora. I like that it's kinda puffy and you have to pat the cap into shape on your head. It has a bright red lining. I think it's my new favorite hat!
I say that about every new hat that comes in.
Ernest

If you peek underneath the bill of the cap you can kinda see the red lining.

Picture288.jpg

Picture294.jpg

Picture287.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
As with others, I bought a newsboy cap from Brett Stiles at B!Wear, and I cannot be happier. The fit is great, the material is excellent, and the craftsmanship couldn't be better. The smooth leather sweatband upgrade, from suede, is inexpensive, and the overall cost of the cap is unbelievable when compared to other retailers. I also like how he sews a piece of wire into the brim (unnoticeable), as it allows for great style tweaking.

I cannot say nice enough things about Brett's communication and willingness to work with customers; he actual makes it seem like you are both doing each other a favor by doing business together--which is what fair trade should be, but, sadly, is often not. So there's my advertising to help a small-town hatter stay in business.:)

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time contributor (sort of, anyway).

First, allow me to say I have never seen a better looking group of people than those in the various photos posted throughout the Lounge. My most sincere compliments to each and every one of you who clearly have an appreciation for the finest era in clothing design! :eusa_clap

I must admit, my own "sense of style" is lacking; I'm pretty much a "jeans and tee shirt" kind of guy. I've always had "blue collar" jobs and, as such, have never really had an occasion to dress formally on a regular basis. Also, being a "child of the 60s/70s" and having shoulder length hair and a beard...well, let's just say stylish clothing on me looks like a new coat of paint on a junkyard wreck.

That said, I consider Newsboy caps to be more of a "blue collar" hat than, say, a fedora; as some of the photos in this very thread have illustrated, it was a style commonly worn by "the working man". I currently own two--a no-name with a brown faux-tweed pattern, and a Capas Headwear with a dark gray Herringbone pattern. Of the two, I prefer the no-name as the Capas is a little too "voluminous" for my tastes.

After reviewing this thread (several times, I might add) and after seeing the photos posted by HoosierDaddy in post #378, I finally decided to order a Hat People full cut with a black/gray/white Herringbone pattern (I know his is a deep cut, but I prefer a slightly fuller cut than that, so...). I don't have any photos of me wearing any of my current hats (I've only become a hat wearer in the last year or so) but I'll be sure to have a few taken once I receive my Hat People Newsboy.

Whew! Okay, long-winded "introduction" done; I promise to be less wordy in my future posts.

Big_e

Practically Family
Zombie_61 said:
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time contributor (sort of, anyway).

First, allow me to say I have never seen a better looking group of people than those in the various photos posted throughout the Lounge. My most sincere compliments to each and every one of you who clearly have an appreciation for the finest era in clothing design! :eusa_clap

I must admit, my own "sense of style" is lacking; I'm pretty much a "jeans and tee shirt" kind of guy. I've always had "blue collar" jobs and, as such, have never really had an occasion to dress formally on a regular basis. Also, being a "child of the 60s/70s" and having shoulder length hair and a beard...well, let's just say stylish clothing on me looks like a new coat of paint on a junkyard wreck.

That said, I consider Newsboy caps to be more of a "blue collar" hat than, say, a fedora; as some of the photos in this very thread have illustrated, it was a style commonly worn by "the working man". I currently own two--a no-name with a brown faux-tweed pattern, and a Capas Headwear with a dark gray Herringbone pattern. Of the two, I prefer the no-name as the Capas is a little too "voluminous" for my tastes.

After reviewing this thread (several times, I might add) and after seeing the photos posted by HoosierDaddy in post #378, I finally decided to order a Hat People full cut with a black/gray/white Herringbone pattern (I know his is a deep cut, but I prefer a slightly fuller cut than that, so...). I don't have any photos of me wearing any of my current hats (I've only become a hat wearer in the last year or so) but I'll be sure to have a few taken once I receive my Hat People Newsboy.

Whew! Okay, long-winded "introduction" done; I promise to be less wordy in my future posts.
Welcome Zombie! There are great people here who have been an influence to me. I like to wear a Porkpie or stingy brimmed Fedora but my favorite lids are caps, either the Zasu above or my Brixton Hooligan caps. I also like my berets.
Ernest

Big_e

Practically Family
GWD said:
Picked this up from HarpPlayerGene.

web.jpg
GWD, I love that cap! What I like about caps is, they're just the thing to hang out at the local pub or diner. As Zombie said, they're more "blue collar" or down-to-earth. With a tweed or houndstooth, you can very well wear a sportscoat and it easily will dress up.
Ernest

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Linen newsboy for summer

So, I'm thinking of picking up a linen newsboy cap for the summer months here in Japan. I'm trying to find one in a natural shade, and in standard hat sizing (not small/medium/large), which has allowed me to narrow down my options to the following three models:

• "Hugo" by Wigéns:
    Seems to be well-constructed, and the cotton lining is a plus. The visor, however, is more of a longshoreman's cap style... not necessarily a problem, but something to ponder. I'd also have to ship to my parents in the U.S. before getting it sent here, in order to have a sized version.
  • "Hatteras" by Stetson:
    Has a pretty nice silhouette for a newsboy first-timer like me. I rather like the pictures of Torpedo in the silk version earlier in the thread, though I know it strikes many of you as not having enough volume. However, the lining is 2/3 polyester, and I don't know how that'd feel in the heat. In order to get a sized version, I'd also have to ship to someone in Europe or the U.K. first.
  • Hat People cap in linen:
    The choice of cuts is nice; I think I'd probably do best in a medium or deep cut. I am slightly concerned about the lack of structure, though, as well as not having a snap in front. This does have the advantage of being able to ship directly to me, though (I think).

There are other options, but I'm not really that fond of the small/medium/large sizing that so many caps seem to come with. I figure, as long as I'm ordering without trying something on, I might as well order in a size as close as possible to what I actually am.

So, um, thoughts?

ASG

New in Town
I have been looking around lately for a linen newsboy. Based on the discussions in this thread I checked out hatpeople and bwear. I was a little nervous about the narrow bwear brim, and their imprecise sizing. Nevertheless, I preferred the linen fabric choices from bwear so the other day I ordered one in green linen. I'll post pictures and my impressions when it arrives. Maybe I need to get one from the hatpeople for comparison....

Annixter

Practically Family
ASG said:
I have been looking around lately for a linen newsboy. Based on the discussions in this thread I checked out hatpeople and bwear. I was a little nervous about the narrow bwear brim, and their imprecise sizing. Nevertheless, I preferred the linen fabric choices from bwear so the other day I ordered one in green linen. I'll post pictures and my impressions when it arrives. Maybe I need to get one from the hatpeople for comparison....

Welcome to the forum. I met Brett Stiles, the owner and hatter of B!Wear caps, last weekend. He is a good guy, and he continues to keep his prices down and the cap quality up, despite what others are selling their newsboy caps for. When meeting Brett, I saw a linen cap that he just finished for a gentleman overseas. It looks great, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed in your purchase. The material quality of Brett's caps are great, the proportions work well together, the liners are beautiful, and the sizing has never given me a problem. In my experience, the leather sweatband (I get the upgraded smooth sweatband) and the wool or linen construction allow for shrinking and stretching to fit sizes between the letters.

I own two wool B!Wear caps--one in gray crescent and a new one in brown herringbone. The gray crescent below has taken a beating, as it was my only newsboy cap for almost six months of continuous wear. It's seen a lot of seat, rain, and sun, and it continues to hold up. The brown herringbone is my newest addition, and I'm in the breaking-in phase.

CrescentNB1.jpg

CrescentNB2.jpg

Please excuse the blurriness:
BrownHerringbone1.jpg

BrownHerringbone2.jpg

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Very nice caps indeed!
Is the lining panel or cylindric?
Stunning how he could make a living at this prices...

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks, Hepville. If I understand you correctly, the lining is cylindrical, with a single piece of material running around the circumference and a round piece sewn in the center--exactly like a typical fedora. Very nice sewing, and plenty of liner material for a comfortable fit.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
You got me right, Annixter. My apologize if I have expressed myself unclerar.
I like (and do) panel linings. It´s a bit more work but imho it more follows the shape of a cap.

ASG

New in Town
I received my green linen B!Wear newsboy cap in the mail yesterday. The linen is quite coarse and textured, and light as a feather. The lining is a silky navy blue material, and the hat band is in brown suede. I really like the fact that there is a wire in the brim that allows some shaping. The fit is great.

I'm wearing the cap today with a tan cotton suit, white French cuff shirt with pinned collar (shirt is from MyTailor), London tan belt and shoes, white linen pocket square, and a Breuer coral-colored tie with small flowers in navy, green and tan.

I'll post some pics of the new hat when I get a chance.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I dont own a newsboy cap, but my great grandfather wore them in his younger years. It seems to fit him quite nicely.

Phillip Fox Circa early 1920's Chicago
zadie.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Does anyone know if B! Wear can make wider brims for their caps?
The current ones are way too narrow.

Check out the website, as Brett offers a wider brim and fuller cap than the ones I posted above for those looking for wider brims.

J.B.

Practically Family
ASG said:
I received my green linen B!Wear newsboy cap in the mail yesterday. The linen is quite coarse and textured, and light as a feather. The lining is a silky navy blue material, and the hat band is in brown suede. I really like the fact that there is a wire in the brim that allows some shaping. The fit is great...I'll post some pics of the new hat when I get a chance.

Beautiful! ...i can haz one 2 ??

copycatv.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24