Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice old Luftwaffe jacket

Edward

Bartender
I'm not an expert, but I understand that jodphurs were designed to give room in the leg for when astride a horse.

Obviously not needed for flying, so more about style than practicality?

And certainly very stylish:D

These originated as riding jodhpurs. They were cut very tight below the knee to fit into riding boots easily, however, in the days before lycra and other stretch fabrics, they required to still be full in the thigh to allow for movement. I love them myself - always got half an eye out for picking up more. Mine are 1950s East German...

262242_3691838222132_1315558897_n.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Thank-you, gentlemen - I do get a kick out of wearing them. Putting the pennies aside currently for a WPG US officer pair (a la Patton) currently, to be incorporated into a Dieselpunk Zeppelin pirate look...

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
"I'm not an expert, but I understand that jodphurs were designed to give room in the leg for when astride a horse.
Obviously not needed for flying, so more about style than practicality?"

I would disagree. In the early days of aviation, it would be bloody cold sitting in an open cockpit with the wind whistling up your trouser leg. Hence the tight cut of a riding breeches worn with boots. It was also important not to have anything to impede the foot when operating the rudder etc (it can be the same in a car if you are wearing wide trousers and your toecap gets caught in your trousers as you try to brake!).
So I believe it was a very practical thing, which we now associate as a style thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner