Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No love from MTV

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ha! lol I meet LOTS of these criteria. I'm almost always practicing for my jazz quartet, I may not have a beeper but I definitely am far from a smart phone yet..., I often play both in big bands and retirement homes, definitely far too many people thinking I'm "cool" (ok maybe that's an exaggeration)....

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Did anyone take a look at "Mr Style" who wrote the article? His opinion is automatically irrelevant

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
MTV hasn't done anything remotely cool since the late 90s. Plus if people that watch shows like Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant don't like your style you are probably doing something right.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
These sorts of articles come up from time to time. They're all ridiculous, and misinformed about the decent people like us that wear quality felt and straw fedoras. With MTV being connected with the music industry, I thought that they would have been more supportive of these hats, anyway, with some prominent music stars having worn them in recent years. It's strange that fedora hats, or generally any types of felt or straw brimmed hats are still thought of so negatively. Since at least 2008, I thought that hats were becoming more fashionable, and that phenomenon would have translated into more of a general acceptance, by this point. Is such a dislike of fedoras connected with being against the hipster subculture?

I will continue wearing them as I please.

This sort of thing is so far off my radar screen that I was happily unaware of it before it was brought to our attention here.

MTV? It's not for people like me. And vice-versa.

Last edited:
...Is such a dislike of fedoras connected with being against the hipster subculture?
There does appear to be some sort of connection. This is the third or fourth such article I've read in recent months, and the "culprits" responsible for the negative perception in each article have almost exclusively been hipster nitwits wearing inexpensive Trilbys.

As for MTV in general, now more than ever the acronym seems to stand for Minds Thoroughly Vacant. Even when I was part of their target demographic, it wasn't for me.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
It's Just click bait. I have seen all those sentences in other people "articles" before. They just want you to click on the article so they can get ad money for the view. I see this all the time with Apple related stories they make up a lot of stuff just to get people to click on the link for their ad money. Sad state of the journalistic world now days.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
What is an MTV?

Regards,
J T

Just a soulless husk, somehow still meandering about, long after its own death. Like some grave-fiend roaming the countryside, frightening small children and generally annoying those who know better. If there is such a thing as a zombie, it is that product of the 80s, formerly known as Music Television.

GregNYC

One Too Many
And I think as click-bait, it's even out-dated.. Here in NYC when I'm in the East Village or Brooklyn, I see lots of those $19 street-vendor fedoras. And some better ones too. I think even that level of fedora has survived this esthetic tirade. Brooklyn has Pork Pie Hatters and a Goorin's - they're in the more hipsterish sections. And Manhattan's Lower East Side has another Pork Pie Hatters (these are a branch of JJ's).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barrowjh

One Too Many
Ed - thanks for the insight. I have noticed numerous articles in recent years that I read have no real content (some are no more than a couple of paragraphs), so I wonder how they got in front of my face to begin with, and your insight brings the reason to light - they were 'click bait.'

tommyK

One Too Many
Generally it doesn't matter much to me what others think of my hats or my fashion sense. But every once in a while an oxygen thief like Mr. Sims chimes in with this kind of business and makes me proud to be the subject of his ire.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone remember the Replacements video back in the 80's? Their record company insisted they do one, so they filmed a stereo playing their album. I've never watched MTV, and I've never bought a copy of Rolling Stone. Too much monkey business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo