Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No no no... this is just all wrong

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
stetson1-vi.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well now, I don't know..."The Frisco Kid" came out before "Raiders of the Lost Ark." There is some precedent for it!;)

Brad

Ok, KD now you have me curious. Where is the picture of you in that hat? :D
Actually the premise of that picture looks to be slightly flawed. What REAL cowboy would wear a very light colored hat like that to work around the farm? He has gloves on and a work shirt. The pony looks to be too small for him to ride so he must be working. There should be hand prints on the hat by now. LOL

Regards to all,

J

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by jamespowers
Actually the premise of that picture looks to be slightly flawed. What REAL cowboy would wear a very light colored hat like that to work around the farm? He has gloves on and a work shirt. The pony looks to be too small for him to ride so he must be working. There should be hand prints on the hat by now. LOL

Regards to all,

J

You don't know many real, working cowboys do you? Most of the working cowboys (or ranch/farm workers) I know wear light colored cowboy hats to work. Of course, it also depends on the time of year. Winter usually brings out the darker hats (blacks and browns), fall and spring the light colors (grays, whites, tans), and summer, of course, is reserved for the straws. Cowboys usually have several different hats for different times of the year and occasions. Weird that someone would have more than one hat. ;)

However, I think tat the selection of the hat was for the purpose of the picture. After all, it is a setup shot and not an actual spontaneous event. I would be that Ford has a few different cowboy hats (in different colors), but this was what was selected for the picture. Where did you find this picture?

Originally posted by BD Jones
You don't know many real, working cowboys do you? Most of the working cowboys (or ranch/farm workers) I know wear light colored cowboy hats to work. Of course, it also depends on the time of year. Winter usually brings out the darker hats (blacks and browns), fall and spring the light colors (grays, whites, tans), and summer, of course, is reserved for the straws.

Actually a great number of my family out here were farmers and ranchers from the 1870s up until the 1940s. Not one of them owned a hat that was not either brown or black.
I guess cowboys of today are too fancified. A cowboy hat for each season? The only time my great grandfather changed his work hat was when the old one was wore out with more holes than Uncle Jed's. LOL It didn't matter the season. They wouldn't even think of wearing straw then---too citified and sissy looking. It reminded them of the boaters.
I guess a lot has changed since then. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wow check that out, I wonder if that is a dementional cut, oh my is it turned, I wonder if there is wire in the brim or something like that yes YES. that how Ford does it he turns it and puts wire hangers in it finally the answer. But oh my look at that tapering, good lord, what ever shall we do.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Sorry had to take a poke at it all at some point, lol.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
They are so used to me at my worksite. I wear all sorts of hats to work and get plenty of comments and complements on them. Sometimes I wear a hat all day, although not usually the cowboy hats. The work staff usually admire a new fedora and some even try it on. My welfare clients like that hats even more.

One time we had a western-theme party at work. So few workers had hats that I brought in a bunch and was able to supply most folks in the place with a hat to wear for the day. They wore cowboy hats, straw hats, and some wore fedoras but didn't know the difference. On that day, I wore my Akubra white Snowy River hat, which probably looks better on me than any other hat, though I prefer fedoras because of the softness.

I learned years ago that if you were a lovable eccentric you get away with a lot of stuff. I also steered clear of straight-laced work places. I worked in publishing for 15 years in NY and have been a social worker for the County of San Diego for 16 years.

One day this week, I did not wear a hat to work and a couple people asked me why.

karol

I know what you mean but I already had the eccentric thing worked out about ten years ago so no one even cares anymore. :D
I went out to eat with a friend of mine at a local trendy resort hotel in my double breasted suit with a homburg and walking cane. Now that actually made people look because my wife was in her 40s dress (hat etc.) and my friend was in his suit with his cape on. :D We looked like something out of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. LOL

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
What is really curious about San Diego is this: when I moved here, in my East Coast innocence, I thought I would be able to wear cowboy hats. I did -- and was stared at. I was perplexed, this was the west wasn't it? What was the big deal?

I finally figured out that I had moved too far west. West Coast is not Old West, it is "California Cool." And cowboy hats were uncool. Now, if I travel about 15 miles east, to El Cajon or Lakeside, I can wear all the cowboy stuff I want. No stares. It's horse country back there, complete with ranches and working cowboys, rodeos, etc. So, I can wear my hats there, cowboy or fedora, and nobody even blinks.

I see a lot more cowboy hats in San Diego proper than I did 20 years ago. There are bars here where cowboy drag is what you wear. The funny thing is, the guys pretty much wear the big black hats (or white straw in summer) but the women are bareheaded. Lots of Mexican-American men wear cowboy hats here.

Among white folks my age, I see a lot of Aussie and Tilley hats more than cowboy hats and fedoras. African Americans and Hispanics are wearing the fedoras, as well as funky kids.

The longer I live, the more curious the human race becomes. Wait until I move back to Iowa for a spell, oh boy. As my mother pointed out, "Nobody here wears those things."

karol

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I learned years ago that if you were a lovable eccentric you get away with a lot of stuff. One day this week, I did not wear a hat to work and a couple people asked me why.

Being known as a theatre-y person definitely helps met get away with some of that kinda stuff. i usually wear a fedora, and i wear a trenchcoat if it rains, which may seem unusual to and for most 15 year olds. In fact, I had my hat off when my spanish teacher walked into the room on Monday morning, and when he first looked at me, he said, "Ray, where's your hat?" I then stated that it was at home. and he replied "phew! I thought you were sick or something!"

A trench coat only when it rains? I wore one yesterday because I was cold---with a fedora. :D I gues that makes me eccentric. Nobody looks at me strange except for when I pass by in my 57 GMC. I guess they think they saw a ghost from the past or something. LOL
I will have to post a picture of my greatgrandfather on his hay wagon with a fedora on in about 1890. He always wore hats too.

Regards to all,

J

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
haha. Well, just moving to Taiwan, it doesn't get much colder south of 70 degrees. I think it dropped down to low 60's once some time in October after a week of rain, where I wore the coat a few times running to blockbuster to rent dvd's in the rain.
Everytime I wear a trenchcoat, I get alot of P.I./detective comments, except i'm missing the cigar. I had a friend ask me what look I was going to go for next after Indiana Jones and vintage suits, and he suggested a James Bond tuxedo.

Haha...I also forgot to mention, but I also happen to be the sole supplier of fedoras for my office/school, as well. I remember when it was formal day and occupation day during spirit week, I loaned a few fedoras to complete outfits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21