Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobody talks about rag curls?

Kaela

Vendor
I thought I'd ask, how many ladies out there have perfected rag rollers?
In the past I was all about pincurls because they're flat and much more authentic than sponge rollers, but I usually just end up frizzy with pin curls if I'm not all together lucky, so I tried sponge rollers and boy are they something to get used to!
So I thought that maybe rag rollers would be another choice but I haven't ever tried them because I haven't read enough to go by (rather, to try it, I know I'll have a bad hair day!)
Who has the technique down!? Please do share!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have used them--they are pretty easy and authentic, too.

I cut up an old t-shirt into strips about one inch wide and six inches long. You wrap your hair around the strips as if they were sponge rollers, and then tie the strip together at the top. They do take a bit of getting used to, as they are not as easy to roll as the curlers, but eventually they become very simple and fast to do.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've used them too. They definitely make sleeping easier, and they aren't hard to use. The ones that Honey Doll has recommended look great, and I plan on ordering them. Give them a try, they make a pretty authentic curl.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I've used them too. They definitely make sleeping easier, and they aren't hard to use. The ones that Honey Doll has recommended look great, and I plan on ordering them. Give them a try, they make a pretty authentic curl.

Daisy-- if you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near by check there first-- much cheaper that online price.

Also with these-- follow the instructions about interlocking the curlers for stability-- otherwise they don't sit tight enough to your head.

Honey Doll

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandmother used to rag-curl me when I was little -- I'd get those big fat Shirley Temple sausage curls, which were kinda cute. But I've never gotten the hang of rag-curling myself -- it always seems like one of those things where you need to have three hands to do it properly, and I can never manage to get the wrap to hold together while I'm trying to tie the ends. Am I missing a trick?

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:

Girl, you're going to have to purchase a storage shed for all of your curlers! You're almost as bad as me!

Naama

Practically Family
Kaela said:
In the past I was all about pincurls because they're flat and much more authentic than sponge rollers, but I usually just end up frizzy with pin curls

Strange.... When I did my hair in rag curls, I usually ended up with frizz, but when I then changed to pincurls all was good [huh]

Naama

~*Red*~

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I have used them--they are pretty easy and authentic, too.

I cut up an old t-shirt into strips about one inch wide and six inches long. You wrap your hair around the strips as if they were sponge rollers, and then tie the strip together at the top. They do take a bit of getting used to, as they are not as easy to roll as the curlers, but eventually they become very simple and fast to do.

I know this is an old topic, sorry for the repeat, but here is where I get confused...
When you roll on a roller (with end papers or not), you are placing the hair on something hard (or semi hard with a sponge roller), but you are making the ends into a formed curl, over the size of the roller.

When you place your ends on a piece of fabric, as it is so thin...there is nothing....round?..or, no form, so to speak to roll around, so wouldn't the ends come out funky and bent instead of uniformed curls?

I'm not sure if it's the fact that I've never seen it done before (i'm a visual and hands-on person) or there is some sort of "trick" to it?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
From my experience and from reading these forums I think everyone's hair, patience, and agility varies. You just have to find what works for you and your hair. If you want to try a new method: purchase/make a small quantity of the roller/curler and put just a few in your hair to see how they turn out. Little effort is waisted in your quest for the best curling method. Good Luck!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
On a daily basis, I use hot rollers, but when I really want long lasting tight curls, I use rag curlers. I actually prefer them to pincurls. :eek:

Sometimes the very ends can be a bit "bent" looking, but I don't typically have that problem. End papers would help with that, but I don't actually use them. I ought to go get some. ;) After a few uses, my rag curlers end up a bit wadded, so they actually aren't flat, they are kind of squished up and round, about the width of a pencil. I think this tends to prevent the bend at the end.

The way I do it is to wait until my hair has dried part way. I comb out a section (the wider the section the looser the curl). It's easier if each section you are rolling is only one length. Then I pinch the section between my thumb and forefinger and run it down to the end. I use my other hand to place the rag above my pinched fingers, and with that other hand, pinch the rag against the hair. I then release the original pinch and use that forefinger to push the hair over the rag (moving my fingers out of the way as I do) to start the roll. Does that make sense?

Like MarieAnne suggested, you have to play with it. I came up with the way I do it, by trial and error. Good luck and have fun. I find that if I am getting cross, it's time to stop for a while. lol

kerry

One of the Regulars
Ive got some heated rag curlers. They work great when my hair is at the length in my avatar. Take a good hour t heat up though and I usually leave them in for an hour.
Kerry

Nashoba

One Too Many
See now for me, rag curlers and sponge curlers were always a nightmare. I end up with a frizzy puffy mass that looks like I just stuck my fingers in an electric socket. :eek: [huh] oh well. not that I always get perfect results with pin curls either.
Oh the things we do...

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Joie~ That's a great explanation & I get a pretty good visual from it, and As I've tried over and over I'm very much at the point of getting cross all the time when I do them ;) The only conclusion I can come to, is since I have bamboo for hair (ok, it's not that bad, ha ha) I need to have a "form" to roll it around for my ends to come out uniform and not bent or pinched.

Kerry~ What kind of heated rag rollers do you have? I just bought some Remmington ones and I love them, but they also have that heated core (form) in the middle which makes it easier for me to roll them with. Although I find I need to either get another set or order an extra set of rollers, because I don't have enough for my whole head.

Thanks to all the ladies for your input!!

kerry

One of the Regulars
~*Red*~ said:
Joie~ That's a great explanation & I get a pretty good visual from it, and As I've tried over and over I'm very much at the point of getting cross all the time when I do them ;) The only conclusion I can come to, is since I have bamboo for hair (ok, it's not that bad, ha ha) I need to have a "form" to roll it around for my ends to come out uniform and not bent or pinched.

Kerry~ What kind of heated rag rollers do you have? I just bought some Remmington ones and I love them, but they also have that heated core (form) in the middle which makes it easier for me to roll them with. Although I find I need to either get another set or order an extra set of rollers, because I don't have enough for my whole head.

Thanks to all the ladies for your input!!
Hi Red, I have the Remmington ones, they are in a pink case.
They are great but I know what you mean about not having enough.
What I usualy do is, use the ragrolls on the part of my hair that is not going into rolls and use regular heated rollers on the part that is going into rolls, if that makes sense. I just wish theyd heat up a bit quicker. I have to get out of bed, switch them on , then go back to bed.:)

missbeki

New in Town
I used to use them when i was little when my hair was longer and they looked great. now though, it just looks messy. Thats cos I have annoying hair :mad:

~*Red*~

Practically Family
kerry said:
Hi Red, I have the Remmington ones, they are in a pink case.
They are great but I know what you mean about not having enough.
What I usualy do is, use the ragrolls on the part of my hair that is not going into rolls and use regular heated rollers on the part that is going into rolls, if that makes sense. I just wish theyd heat up a bit quicker. I have to get out of bed, switch them on , then go back to bed.:)

Ha ha, I know what you mean.. I make sure I have lots of time to do my hair, I heat them, start my pedicure...roll my hair... manicure....unroll and pinup curls and reheat curlers...second coat on toes....roll back of head...second on nails...unroll and pinup curls..then I do my make-up! whew! ;)

good idea on the regular rollers on the hair that goes into rolls!!...my hair is still on the shorter side, so if I feel the rolls aren't going to do it for me, I can be lazy and use combs or a ribbon and bow. But when my hair gets longer, I'm doing that!

that reminds me, I have another question about a certain set of rollers, but I have to find the right thread..more searching..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran