Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-traditional engagement rings

S

Samsa

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Nice choice! Where did you buy it - what online retailer?

Thanks! We got it from Topazery.com. Here is a link to the ring we bought, which has more pictures etc.

Jonny's Angel

New in Town
CherryRed said:
Opal's are very fragile...maybe that is what you were thinking of.

My engagement ring is a small complete Opal in white gold, and it's true they are very fragile indeed, so sadly mine stays in the box a lot as I'm petrified of ruining it. We got in while we was on holiday in Turkey, and it is so pretty, but for special occasions only

Pinkie

New in Town
I wanted to interject about emeralds. They also tend to be "soft" and can crack and chip easily. My sister in law has a diamond ring with emeralds on the sides and the emeralds have been cracked and repaired several times. Thought that might help! Good luck!

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
Actually, diamond engagement rings have been in vogue only since the 1940s. Before that, all sorts of gems were used.

If one wants a conflict-free stone, a Montana saphire would be a good choice.

The decision has already been made, and a fine one it was, but sapphires do make quite nice engagement rings. Nearly as hard as diamonds, variety of colors, fancied by the British royals. If you purchase one, try very hard to insure that it is not heat treated. Heat treatment destroys the inclusionary rutile chrystals (intersecting at 60 degree) that bring almost a velvety softness to a proper sapphire. Heat treating a sapphire reduces it to almost a simulant of colored glass. Of course, too many rutile inclusions make the stone suitable only for a cabochon cut. And Paisley is right ... the Yugo Gultch in Montana produces the most delicate cornflower blue sapphires. They run a bit small, but are really lovely.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
That's a gorgeous ring Samsa, she's sure to love it. And, of course, the most important thing in all this is that she loves you.

Please tell us her reaction!

S

Samsa

Update

Just thought I'd post to let you know that the ring got here on Wednesday. On Thursday I met her father for lunch to formally ask his permission ("you have our full and unconditional blessing"), and went straight from there to the jeweler to have it resized. Last night I asked her again to marry me, and the ring is now on her finger! Forgive the low quality cellphone picture:

12-21-07_2017.jpg

Now comes the fun part - planning a wedding with just six months to do it! The date is June 28, 2008. My brother (who is going through the ordination process) will be marrying us.

Thanks ladies for your advice and kind words!

vonwotan

Practically Family
I know this is a bit late but, the subject is one that interests me. The "tradition" of the diamond engagement ring is largely the result of a very clever marketing campaign by DeBeers. Prior to the 1940's there were a wide variety of engagement rings - variations on the eternity ring, promise ring, etc., with various stones used in combination or by themselves. There are a few antique jewelry dealers who have some very interesting rings and it is fascinating, to me at least, to see the evolution of these rings.

Paisley said:
Actually, diamond engagement rings have been in vogue only since the 1940s. Before that, all sorts of gems were used.

If one wants a conflict-free stone, a Montana saphire would be a good choice.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Samsa said:
Just thought I'd post to let you know that the ring got here on Wednesday. On Thursday I met her father for lunch to formally ask his permission ("you have our full and unconditional blessing"), and went straight from there to the jeweler to have it resized. Last night I asked her again to marry me, and the ring is now on the finger!

Now comes the fun part - planning a wedding with just six months to do it! The date is June 28, 2008. My brother (who is going through the ordination process) will be marrying us.

Thanks ladies for your advice and kind words!

Oh, I'm a sucker for happy endings! Congratulations Samsa!

That's quite a vote of approval from her father--good for you for going the traditional route and asking him too. I love it that your brother will be the officiant. Are you needling him? "No pressure or anything, but if you aren't ordained I'll have to find someone else to marry me. No pressure though."

One of the best weddings I ever attended was organized in 3 weeks, so 6 months is loads of time ;) Is she into vintage too?

S

Samsa

imoldfashioned said:
Oh, I'm a sucker for happy endings! Congratulations Samsa!

That's quite a vote of approval from her father--good for you for going the traditional route and asking him too. I love it that your brother will be the officiant. Are you needling him? "No pressure or anything, but if you aren't ordained I'll have to find someone else to marry me. No pressure though."

One of the best weddings I ever attended was organized in 3 weeks, so 6 months is loads of time ;) Is she into vintage too?

Thanks! Yes, she actually is into vintage (hence desiring a vintage engagement ring). She's perhaps more vintage than I am - buys most of her clothes second hand, etc. She's interested in finding a vintage wedding dress as well, we'll see if that happens.

As to my brother... he actually won't be ordained by the time of the wedding - his program goes on for another four years. But in order to legally marry us he doesn't need to be officially ordained through his church.

Dracca

One of the Regulars
I am late to this thread and see the ring has been taken care of now but I just wanted to say Congratulations Samsa! So happy for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner