Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Norfolk Jacket

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Agreed!!!

Thanks, Marc. I like the cut of that Norfolk, especially the breast pockets.

I was thinking about how "modern" it looked.
I'd wear that in a heartbeat...

Speedster

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:

BT's visible Irish Thornproof:
London2006a.jpg

Speedster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Look in the Goodwood thread- Speedster is wearing it. You know.
I know, I know... it all sounds very Scandinavian and incestuous...

Like.

B
T

:)

This one (wearing two of the three pieces):

IMG_4401.jpg

And some of the photos you sent me back then showing the details and material:

Tw_Jckt-1.jpg

Tw_Collar-1.jpg

Tw_Close.jpg

DSCN2668.jpg

DSCN2667.jpg

Trou.jpg

Tweed2-1.jpg

Would love to have a Norfolk jacket in Irish Thornproof.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
With respect, this doesn't look like keepers tweed, which is a tough, closely woven fabric.

Creeping Past said:
Marc's pics do look like Keeper's Tweed, which I think is the thornproof is wool/cotton fabric you mean.

Jean cloth = wool/cotton twill = you're more or less right about homespun being variant tweed.

So that's that, then. NEXT!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
:)

This one (wearing two of the three pieces):

IMG_4401.jpg

And some of the photos you sent me back then showing the details and material:

Tw_Jckt-1.jpg

Tw_Collar-1.jpg

Tw_Close.jpg

DSCN2668.jpg

DSCN2667.jpg

Trou.jpg

Tweed2-1.jpg

Would love to have a Norfolk jacket in Irish Thornproof.

I have an Aussie made Irish T'ornproof Tweed jacket from the 60s early 70s but this cloth is unbelievable.

STW

Familiar Face
H.Johnson said:
With respect, this doesn't look like keepers tweed, which is a tough, closely woven fabric.
Was keepers tweed a catagorie made by various makers (or labels) of tweed, or was it separately labeled? In other words, might you see a Harris Tweed keepers tweed or a Donegal Tweed keepers tweed?

Sorry for the thread drift:eusa_doh:

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Keepers' Tweed

Keepers' tweed (or keeper's tweed as it is sometimes known) is a type of tweed, not usually associated with a particular place or maker(s). Harris, Donegal and Derby Tweed are traditional tweeds specific to certain areas, with their own weaves and patterns.

Keepers' ('s) tweed was (is?) intended for a specific purpose or to be worn for a specific type of work (gamekeeping). If it can be associated with any region, it would be the English 'shires'. It is heavy, plain or slightly mottled and very dense and therefore stiff and difficult (for some people) to wear. Definitely not 'posh' but very durable. Most tweed tailors used to do a working dress in the fabric. IMHO Phillips and Piper do some of the best keepers'('s) tweed clothing in their Pytchley range.

STW said:
Was keepers tweed a catagorie made by various makers (or labels) of tweed, or was it separately labeled? In other words, might you see a Harris Tweed keepers tweed or a Donegal Tweed keepers tweed?

Sorry for the thread drift:eusa_doh:

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes - IMO it starts at 32 oz and you do see it heavier than this.

BTW, I forgot to mention my local 'tweedier' Brocklehursts who do a nice suit in the material.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Looks a little like the 700 grams (24-ish ounce) fabric that I linked to.

Although I've a fair idea what a twist fabric is (higher density), I've searched Google but can't easily find a definition of it to post here. Is Keeper's Tweed a twist material?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Creeping Past said:
Is Keeper's Tweed a twist material?

Don't know.

Having owned jackets with the vintage material shown above, I can say that it neither looks nor feels quite like Keeper's Tweed or Thornproof cloth. Whether it's called "twist" or "homespun", the stuff is VERY scratchy and sandpapery, crisp and dry to the touch, and porous (though only upon close inspection).

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=880520&postcount=34

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Don't know.

Having owned jackets with the vintage material shown above, I can say that it neither looks nor feels quite like Keeper's Tweed or Thornproof cloth. Whether it's called "twist" or "homespun", the stuff is VERY scratchy and sandpapery, crisp and dry to the touch, and porous (though only upon close inspection).

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=880520&postcount=34

Is this the stuff sometimes called "sandpaper" material? It's been referred to as that in the "Show us your suits" thread if it's the same material.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Let's twist again

As I understand it, 'twist' is a term used by weavers to describe a twilled weave with a tighter spun yarn than would be used for a bulkier tweed. In a way it is related to worsted cloth - hard spun and tightly woven, so the cloth is thin but dense and very windproof (which much tweed isn't). That makes it practical and wearable as 'everyday' tweed. Keeper's tweed is similar (IMO) but bulkier and heavier.

One of my favourite tweed suits is a Magee in their Barnsmore Twist tweed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff