Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

North Brother Island, East River, NYC

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Fascxinating. Just a hop skip and a jump away from me in the Bronx. The descriptions of hellish conditions may be true, but it must be remembered that the state of medicine 100 years ago was still prinitive. The fact is that New York City's medical facilities for immigrants, here and at Ellis Island, were really state of the art for the world at the time. They were probably better off there than they were back home in many cases. Also, these people were coming to "America", but it was NYC who had to foot most of the bill for their care.
There are several locations around the city with crumbling ruins like this. At the bottom end of Roosevelt Island, in the East River, is a ruined "castle", another defunct hospital (actually a "lunatic asylum", as I recall). And out by the ocean, at Ft. Tilden, in Queens, there are remains of WW I and WW II military facilities in charming states of decay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou