Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Nice big western! Yes, Mike is a master of the brim curl.

After a seven month wait, my latest Northwest arrived today. It’s 100% beaver (Ukrainian felt not Winchester or FEPSA). The color is granite. 6 ½” open crown and a 4 ⅛” wide raw edge brim with a fantastic edge curl. Mike is truly a master at curling brims. The felt is very firm/stiff but it also has a velvety hand. Absolutely love this hat and couldn’t be happier with how it turned out.

View attachment 538434 View attachment 538435 View attachment 538436 View attachment 538437 View attachment 538438 View attachment 538439 View attachment 538440 View attachment 538441 View attachment 538442

Did Mike have any comments on the Ukraine beaver felt?

In two emails to me he stated he was NOT a fan of the Millinery Warehouse rabbit felts and said they felt like wool to him, but he did say they had good colors and the felts were well-dyed.

Mike said he was impressed with the Millinery Warehouse beaver felt, but didn’t like the price compared to Winchester and said in the future he might add a $75 surcharge for the Ukrainian felt. He also said the Millinery Warehouse beaver was sometimes smaller than Winchester’s felt; however, the hat he made for me (62cm LO, minimal taper block, 6 ½” open crown, and 4 ⅛” brim) isn’t a small hat and the Felt accommodated it. I got the feeling that he thought it was an acceptable alternative to Winchester and that the colors/dyeing were better. I didn’t feel like he placed one significantly higher than the other. He did mention the the Millinery Warehouse felt had less stiffeners in their crowns, but I’d not guess that based on this hat which is quite firm.

In two emails to me he stated he was NOT a fan of the Millinery Warehouse rabbit felts and said they felt like wool to him, but he did say they had good colors and the felts were well-dyed.

Mike said he was impressed with the Millinery Warehouse beaver felt, but didn’t like the price compared to Winchester and said in the future he might add a $75 surcharge for the Ukrainian felt. He also said the Millinery Warehouse beaver was sometimes smaller than Winchester’s felt; however, the hat he made for me (62cm LO, minimal taper block, 6 ½” open crown, and 4 ⅛” brim) isn’t a small hat and the Felt accommodated it. I got the feeling that he thought it was an acceptable alternative to Winchester and that the colors/dyeing were better. I didn’t feel like he placed one significantly higher than the other. He did mention the the Millinery Warehouse felt had less stiffeners in their crowns, but I’d not guess that based on this hat which is quite firm.
I have found the Ukraine beaver felts to be uniformly large. Yes, the crowns are softer than the brims but have good success with double blocking/double pouncing the crown to get the softer feel. But yes, price wise they are not that much cheaper than the FEPSA.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another montecristi semi-calado in the works.

View attachment 538444 View attachment 538445
Finished hat arrived last week, Chose to go with a safari and center dent. Most of my vented hats have brighter ribbons and therefore I decided to go with a black with brown stripe ribbon. I have black ribbons on other Panama hats but they aren't semi-calado.

Brim 3 1/8"
Front 4", back 3 7/8"
Ribbon 1" Black/Brown vintage grosgrain

IMG_0229.jpeg
IMG_0230.jpeg
IMG_0231.jpeg
IMG_0232.jpeg
IMG_0233.jpeg
IMG_0233a.jpg
IMG_0234.jpeg
IMG_0235.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg
IMG_0237.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Another hot weather winner, Bill.

Finished hat arrived last week, Chose to go with a safari and center dent. Most of my vented hats have brighter ribbons and therefore I decided to go with a black with brown stripe ribbon. I have black ribbons on other Panama hats but they aren't semi-calado.

Brim 3 1/8"
Front 4", back 3 7/8"

View attachment 541672 View attachment 541673 View attachment 541674 View attachment 541675 View attachment 541676 View attachment 541677 View attachment 541678 View attachment 541679 View attachment 541680 View attachment 541681

Pellie

One Too Many

Brim 3 1/8"
Front 4", back 3 7/8"

View attachment 541672 View attachment 541673 View attachment 541674 View attachment 541675 View attachment 541676 View attachment 541677 View attachment 541678 View attachment 541679 View attachment 541680 View attachment 541681
Nice, i always have to google how much 3 1/8" is in cm. 1 inch = 2,54 cm, why not post also the cm's haha ... lol. Same for Fahrenheit and Celcius..... :-( we dutchies haha

Last edited:
Nice, i always have to google how much 3 1/8" is in cm. 1 inch = 2,54 cm, why not post also the cm's haha ... lol. Same for Fahrenheit and Celcius..... :-( we dutchies haha
We switched over to cm, mm, Kilometres, Celcius etc when I was in my early 20's so I am ambidextrous or bilingual or somesuch. I work in inches on the crown & brim but in cm for the actual size of the hat.....just to confuse myself.

wsmontana

A-List Customer

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto