Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I found a fairly beaten up Stetson Twenty awhile back that needed some serious attention. My naptha bath helped a lot, but the sweat was shot, and the sorry overall shape was beyond the reach of my tea kettle, so off it went to Mike at Northwest Hats. He cheerfully took on the project and offered to reblock it from its original 7 3/8 to 7 1/2. A good idea, as it had plenty of brim to play with! (It's 2 3/4 inches now - just right!)

Thanks, Mr. Miller, for a job well done. :D

Congrats Randall, nice when a worthy hat can have a second chance. I look forward to visiting NW Hats next April.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
News Flash!

The Register-Guard, (Eugene, Oregon's paper), ran an article on Mike Miller on November 4th. I tried to provide a link to the article from their website, but gave up after 10 minutes of fruitless searching. here's a picture of the actual newspaper, though:

imageimd.jpg

Congratulations on the local fame, Mike!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I talked with Mike this evening about some ribbon options for a Beaver Brand OR silverbelly that's currently in for a modification. He's going to cut the brim down for me, possibly to 2 3/8", and put a wider binding on it. Here is a teaser with a blue-grey ribbon...

86E9F564.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
The second hat I sent Mike is a dark grey Borso. The only thing I'm having him do is a re-size and add an edge binding. At first, I was thinking of a high contrast color, like pink or a light blue. But after some research, I've decided to go with something a little safer; it's called "limestone". Here's the binding I chose...

photo4.jpg

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
I just received my Stetson that Mike sized down, inatalled a new sweat, cut down the brim, added a double brim binding, and repaired a small nick. I also received back a very old light weight Borsalino that Mike sized up and replaced the sweat for me. I'll have pics up soon, but let me assure you, he does first class work. and he'll be doing more for me. great guy to work with!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Here is the Borsalino mod with the new edge binding. The hat color is actually dark grey with a greyish binding, but it looks brown in his photo. I'll post the full transformation if the Borso and the silverbelly hat in the conversion thread as soon as I get the hats next week.

E1E94531.jpg

E46AF19F.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Does a Nutria have Stripes?

Well this one does now. I had a thin ribbon Nutria Stetson that looked too western for me and had Mike at NorthWest hats turn it into a fedora with the striped edge binding and a matching stripe on the bow. Here's how it looks now. He had to put a fairly deep teardrop crease in it to bring the crown down, it was 6 inches and looked way too high for my liking.

DSCN0832_zpsf80a1ee2.jpg

DSCN0831_zps26d215fd.jpg

DSCN0829_zps349f3dbc.jpg

DSCN0830_zps90c861e1.jpg

This is what it looked like before.
IMG_20070830_0001_1_zpsfadde556.jpg

fedoralover

Last edited:

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Oh, wow, I love how the keeper ties in with the edge binding and the unique slant on the keeper. I bet it all ties in nicely. Eye catching, but your eye does not have to try to figure it out, which for me is a big plus - the eye does not have take it all in, it just sort of comes to you. Nicely done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW