Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I spent a couple hours with Mike today. I picked up 2 new hats, a complete reblock refurb and 2 more with new ribbons. I took 5 or 6 down with me, but only left one for Mike to work on.

1) New Dark Moss. Darn. I waited too long to get a hat in this color. I really love it. 6" x 3" with ribbon and bound edge in Ashen Green. Note there are at least 3 different hues of vintage Ashen green out there. Michael Gannon has the wide (2" ??) greyish green ribbon that is on my daughter's Dark Moss from Gannon Hats, and I bought some 6L that looks more like dark moss and yet another 1-1/2" ashen green that is more medium green (both from Art's ebay listings) and all of these are listed as Ashen green on the spool of ribbon.

2) Nutria natural, 6-1/2" x 3-1/2" with a cream/bone colored "fray" style crown ribbon and matching brim binding. This baby looked like Hoss' hat in Bonanza with the open crown, but steamed into a diamond, it looks like a large western fedora.... and I love it. It is tall, even with the deep diamond bash up top. My wife likes this one best of all.

3) Rebuild of Indy style Penman Everyman. Reblocked to fit me perfectly, new sweatband and new maroon ribbon with a center boxcar and basting stitches, with double shark gills on both sides. Another diamond bash has this one looking fantastic. Shout out to Charlie @hatsRme for the ribbon treatment.

4) Champ, ca. 1950s, that I cleaned as good as I could, but had Mike put on a new ribbon in the same style as the original. Very sharp indeed.

5) Charles Knox 60s beater stingy brim. This was so faded the black ribbon looked like a nasty brown rag. Underneath the ribbon is dark charcoal felt.... the rest of the felt is now a faded grey color. We had to stay with a wide ribbon to cover the faded felt so I had Mike put a nice navy blue ribbon on it. Sweet knockabout hat with a felted edge! One of very few stingy brim hats I own.

6) One more back in the queue. Four years ago I snagged an ebay featured parabuntal hat body that came rolled up in a handmade bamboo tube. Mike put it on a 60cm block and steamed it smooth. Looks like he can make me a hat with a nice blocked crown and a 2-3/4" brim. A very nice surprise. I was afraid it would only yield a smallish hat for Mrs. Tukwila or Lil' Tukwila (daughter).

Mike says hello to everyone on the lounge... especially those who asked me to say hi.... Robert, Randy, Brent, Bill and others my tired brain has forgotten.

I need to make room for these now! These were gone from the house for a little shy of 5 months...

@deadlyhandsome Brent, My nutria hat is pretty stiff on the brim, the crown a little more giving but still needed steam to put in the creases. IMO, not near a beaver felt hat body but maybe better than winchester rabbit (which are now discontinued I hear).

The Tonak rabbit featherweight is nice. I might have to get one, although colors are limited. The 80/20 (rabbit/beaver) from Tonak is nicer for a bit heavier hat.

Fondled a mink hat body.... nice, smooth. Chinchilla is nicer still I hear, but couldn't make a fair comparison as this one is not pounced yet.

Attachments

• NW Hats Dark Moss_01.jpeg
    NW Hats Dark Moss_01.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 245
  • NW Hats_Nutria Fray_01.jpeg
    NW Hats_Nutria Fray_01.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 239
  • NW Hats_Indy Boxcar_01.jpeg
    NW Hats_Indy Boxcar_01.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 259
  • NW Hats_Indy Boxcar_02.jpeg
    NW Hats_Indy Boxcar_02.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 236
  • NW Hats_Champ Refurb_01.jpeg
    NW Hats_Champ Refurb_01.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 274
  • NW Hats_Knox Refurb_01.jpeg
    NW Hats_Knox Refurb_01.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 269
  • NW Hats_Vintage Parabuntal in Bamboo Tube_01.jpeg
    NW Hats_Vintage Parabuntal in Bamboo Tube_01.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Doug. Hats are looking good as usual.

I spent a couple hours with Mike today. I picked up 2 new hats, a complete reblock refurb and 2 more with new ribbons. I took 5 or 6 down with me, but only left one for Mike to work on.

1) New Dark Moss. Darn. I waited too long to get a hat in this color. I really love it. 6" x 3" with ribbon and bound edge in Ashen Green. Note there are at least 3 different hues of vintage Ashen green out there. Michael Gannon has the wide (2" ??) greyish green ribbon that is on my daughter's Dark Moss from Gannon Hats, and I bought some 6L that looks more like dark moss and yet another 1-1/2" ashen green that is more medium green (both from Art's ebay listings) and all of these are listed as Ashen green on the spool of ribbon.

2) Nutria natural, 6-1/2" x 3-1/2" with a cream colored "fray" style crown ribbon and matching brim binding. This baby looked like Hoss' hat in Bonanza with the open crown, but steamed into a diamond, it looks like a large western fedora.... and I love it. It is tall, even with the deep diamond bash up top. My wife likes this one best of all.

3) Rebuild of Indy style Penman Everyman. Reblocked to fit me perfectly, new sweatband and new maroon ribbon with a center boxcar and basting stitches, with double shark gills on both sides. Another diamond bash has this one looking fantastic.

4) Champ, ca. 1950s, that I cleaned as good as I could, but had Mike put on a new ribbon in the same style as the original. Very sharp indeed.

5) Charles Knox 60s beater stingy brim. This was so faded the black ribbon looked like a nasty brown rag. Underneath the ribbon is dark charcoal felt.... the rest of the felt is now a faded grey color. We had to stay with a wide ribbon to cover the faded felt so I had Mike put a nice navy blue ribbon on it. Sweet knockabout hat with a felted edge! One of very few stingy brim hats I own.

6) One more back in the queue. Four years ago I snagged an ebay featured parabuntal hat body that came rolled up in a handmade bamboo tube. Mike put it on a 60cm block and steamed it smooth. Looks like he can make me a hat with a nice blocked crown and a 2-3/4" brim. A very nice surprise. I was afraid it would only yield a smallish hat for Mrs. Tukwila or Lil' Tukwila (daughter).

Mike says hello to everyone on the lounge... especially those who asked me to say hi.... Robert, Randy, Brent, Bill and others my tired brain has forgotten.

I need to make room for these now! These were gone from the house for a little shy of 5 months...

@deadlyhandsome Brent, My nutria hat is pretty stiff on the brim, the crown a little more giving but still needed steam to put in the creases. IMO, not near a beaver felt hat body but maybe better than winchester rabbit (which are now discontinued I hear).

The Tonak rabbit featherweight is nice. I might have to get one, although colors are limited. The 80/20 (rabbit/beaver) from Tonak is nicer for a bit heavier hat.

Fondled a mink hat body.... nice, smooth. Chinchilla is nicer still I hear, but couldn't make a fair comparison as this one is not pounced yet.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a top hat yet, either, but if Mike can make one, hmmmmm???

Have not gotten to wear my Cambridge bowler much yet...come on winter!

20210613_073659.jpg
We talked about your cool Derby hats, and Mike mentioned that he has blocks now for top hats.... hmmm.... I might like a top hat someday. But Mike's @Redfokker new long hair Lord's hat is the bomb!

He did mention you today, too, Randy but I didn't think to ask about the status of hats you might have in the queue. He did say his backlog is around 100 hats right now.
It is so cool thatMike is thriving in his business. I purchased my first hat from him when he was still managing the truck rental place and had a small office off the main office with his hat operation. I applaud is vision and his great skills as a hatter.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
head shots of the nutria. As creased the front is about 5-1/4" tall. Forgot to mention the natural sweatband... Mike has started hand-sewing these (reedless) into his featherweight hats, which allows them to be rolled up to store away, if you wish. Ingenius.

NW Hats Nutria Fray_02.jpeg

Attachments

• NW Hats Nutria Fray_01.jpeg
    NW Hats Nutria Fray_01.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 194
  • NW Hats Nutria Fray_03.jpeg
    NW Hats Nutria Fray_03.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 186
  • NW Hats Nutria Fray_04.jpeg
    NW Hats Nutria Fray_04.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 197
  • NW Hats Nutria Fray_05.jpeg
    NW Hats Nutria Fray_05.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

2) Nutria natural, 6-1/2" x 3-1/2" with a cream/bone colored "fray" style crown ribbon and matching brim binding. This baby looked like Hoss' hat in Bonanza with the open crown, but steamed into a diamond, it looks like a large western fedora.... and I love it. It is tall, even with the deep diamond bash up top. My wife likes this one best of all.

3) Rebuild of Indy style Penman Everyman. Reblocked to fit me perfectly, new sweatband and new maroon ribbon with a center boxcar and basting stitches, with double shark gills on both sides. Another diamond bash has this one looking fantastic. Shout out to Charlie @hatsRme for the ribbon treatment.

Killer score, Doug. Wonderful work by Mike Miller. I'm always so impressed by his ribbon work: unassuming, but spot on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner