Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northwest Hats, Eugene, Ore.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The new website is very well done. Thanks Mike for showing dimensions and prices. Very temped to order this Smith clone in the silvermist colour

perhaps a bunny
Love the new web site. My favorite hat is the "Perfectly Simple". :)
As soon as I save up some $$$, I have another hat in mind I want Mike to do.

We are having a very mediocre summer up here in Vancouver so my Northwest Hats "Cruiser" is getting lots of head time and tons of compliments. I asked Mike to make this hat as I wanted a light felt hat to fit in the spring season between felt and straw. But we have yet to have any real straw hat days. The Cruiser has extra pouncing and just a tip liner to keep it light. I considered getting crown venting but in the end opted to not. Mike shows the hat on his new website.
My wife went into the local hat shop (retail only, no custom) and the owner was blown away by the quality of Mike's hat. When I told her the price she was even more shocked as it cost me less than her off the shelf Akubras. (Akubras up here run $300 retail)

Mike is building me a hat in the Silver Mist beaver felt. A late-20s/early-30s style fedora: tall, straight crown with just a center dent; moderate bound-edge brim; very wide black ribbon. Should be ready in a couple of months - my first custom hat, after 50 years of hat fascination...
I have 4 of Mike's creation, each one different. He has been brilliant at producing hats to my description, all have been nigh perfect. I will order a 5th but cannot decide on a style just yet.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Mike is building me a hat in the Silver Mist beaver felt. A late-20s/early-30s style fedora: tall, straight crown with just a center dent; moderate bound-edge brim; very wide black ribbon. Should be ready in a couple of months - my first custom hat, after 50 years of hat fascination...
WOW! I bet you will love having a custom hat!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
My reasoning in going with the mid-ribbon is that too me it's not as dressy and is easier to make fit in a more casual sense. And I know that's just me.
I love wide ribbons but I told Michael that I know if I put the 1.5" ribbon on this I won't wear it as often and I don't want that to be the case.
Yes I so much understand about that. In some ways a wide ribbon just seems to be "too formal" and at times a thin ribbon can be more a blue jeans and boots look...but those narrow mid ribbon hats...they sort of grow on ya! LOVE how they look!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The new site is very nice, but I couldn't find a list of the colors. Are they only the ones on the Retail page? I may have missed it.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I found Mike with an internet search and just finished reading this whole thread. I'm a fan already. I have a custom/handmade on order with John at Penman Hat Co., and I'm anxious to get it in hand. But I also want to drive down to Eugene some Friday and make Mike's acquaintance. I've seen the website and FB, but his hats are top drawer (clearly) and I love to walk through a hat shop... gotta save some funds for a custom from Mike, too...

There are some fine hatters here in the NW. Penman, VS, NW Hats, Black Sheep... wow!

I found Mike with an internet search and just finished reading this whole thread. I'm a fan already. I have a custom/handmade on order with John at Penman Hat Co., and I'm anxious to get it in hand. But I also want to drive down to Eugene some Friday and make Mike's acquaintance. I've seen the website and FB, but his hats are top drawer (clearly) and I love to walk through a hat shop... gotta save some funds for a custom from Mike, too...

There are some fine hatters here in the NW. Penman, VS, NW Hats, Black Sheep... wow!
You won't be disappointed. I love my 4 hats from Mike. There is also M C Gannon hats in Portland, Tumwater Hats in Olympia and a custom guy in Sisters Oregon. Hatters all over the place in this neck of the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot