NOT FOR SALE Red Wing 2990 Engineer Boots U.K. size 9.5 EURO 44

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by SimonR, Jan 10, 2019.

1. SimonR

SimonR One of the Regulars

Just got these brand new but thought they would run large ... they don't :(

UK 9.5 US 10.5 - I would say fit true to size

Boxed etc

£175 inc UK postage which I think is fair - I paid £200

s-l1600d.jpg s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600b.jpg s-l1600c.jpg s-l1600f.jpg s-l1600e.jpg

2. SimonR

After trying with the plastic bag method - once on they have plenty of room

So not for sale :)

3. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

How does that work??

4. SimonR

Foot inside a plastic bag and then put the boots on .. I must have quite a high instep and the plastic helps me to slide my foot in ... once on there is actually plenty of room for my feet so the sizing is right

Hopefully as I wear them in they will give slightly so I don't have to have a supply of bags handy :)

5. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Oh, just to put the boots on, then. Makes sense it'd work. But I thought some kinda revolutionary method of stretching the boots have been discovered. Thanks! :)

deadlyhandsome and SimonR like this.
  6. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I personally dropped to a 6.5 for all my Red Wings. I don't need to use the plastic bag method for my engineers - I think my instep's the right shape for them. It's just a matter of breaking them in that's the big ask...

SimonR likes this.
  7. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Plastic bags work guys but get pretty sweaty after a day's wear. I prefer food grade silicone spray or a little foot powder, though make sure it's talc based.

SimonR likes this.
  8. Rfagan

Rfagan New in Town

What do you do with the silicone spray?

9. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

A light spray down the shaft taking care to spray where the heel and instep first come into contact wth the boot.

Rfagan, AbbaDatDeHat and SimonR like this.
  10. Rfagan

Rfagan New in Town

I see! I will have to try that. Thank you.

11. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Wow. This is one problem i don’t have. Skinny feet and calves. On some OTR boots the shaft and instep are just too big for me. I needed to have instep pads added to one pair just to keep them on. Shaft on my RW is just over 1” smaller than my wesco. That may make it harder for some people to get on.

I wish there were more people custom making boots and shoes ala role club (though ideally a touch less expensive). I have 3 shoe repair shops within 20 minutes of my house. The proprietors have over 130 years of combined experience but no one is interested/able to make from scratch. Will probably go Wesco custom eventually but it would be nice to do the process face to face.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    SimonR likes this.
  12. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

There are cowboy boot makers that do make boots and shoes outside their normal cowboy boots. If you're serious about having some customs made, it might be worth making contact with some to see if they are willing to take on an engineer project. Here's a list.

http://dimlights.com/custom-boots/cowboyboot-makers/

13. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Just remember "food grade".

Rfagan and SimonR like this.
  14. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Cool list. 9 million people live within an hour of my house but alas no bootmakers. Now if i lived in TX....

Bamaboots likes this.
  15. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Yeah, I knew some travel would be involved. A few makers in MO were as close to you that I could think of.

16. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Wescos system seems pretty good and they are great via email. Just sounds fun to do in person.

17. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I've visited Wesco and Drews boots sites. There are a couple of cowboy boot makers that will build a boot based on your own measurements and tracings but they typically won't guarantee fit. Plus, there is nothing quite like going into a shop where the man who is taking your measurements (sometimes up to 8) is the one who will also be building the boots.

RJR likes this.
  18. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I agree! You should fly out to Portland, Oregon for the day to get measured in person for your Wesco’s and then head over to Langlitz to get measured for a jacket (or two).

19. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Ha! Would love to! However, though i may play the part of a man of wealth and taste, it’s only the taste part thats true.

Bamaboots, El Marro and Rfagan like this.
  20. SimonR

Just got a can of this and got the boots on without bags :)

Rfagan likes this.