Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not to be political but.THIS IS WRONG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertising 20 percent off isn't Free Speech. Stetson or whoever licensed the name for that website isn't making a protest or anything other than trying to sell merchandise.
I don't agree with flag burning demonstrations but they are that = demonstrations & covered by 1st Amendment.
I'm against an image to promote hats, jeans, boots, lifestyle, etc. of a flag that deserves respectful retirement being used as a shawl on a model.
Had that young lady posted on her own website something like "I feel warm & grateful to the soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice this Memorial Day!" with that image, I'd give you free speech...still don't like her using what looks to be a flag deserving of respectful retirement.
That photographer & model are getting paid for advertising, not demonstrating or protesting anything = pure commercial.

I've retired too many flags the proper way & have a few charred grommets entrusted to me...

Tom just so you know the Stetson.com retail site is not owned by Stetson. It is run by a company (I don't know who) under licence from Stetson Corporate. If you would like we are are a great old American company and love selling you stetsons or if you like Resistols, or any other hat you are looking for.

Jeff

I understand Jeff but Stetson Corp is the steward of the Stetson brand & needs to strictly guard how it is used & not tainted...

It's not political correctness, it's respect and compliance with the US Flag Code. United States Code Title 36 Chapter 10, Section 176 (i): "The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever."

Can't say that I'm up on the Flag Code. But that sentence you cite brought a smile.

Rare is the car dealership that doesn't star-spangle the hell out of their print and online advertising for their "special" sales during every "patriotic" holiday. Quite the trick, that using the imagery of the American flag to sell cars made in Korea.

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I hate to say it, but the vast majority of the youth market this advertisement is targeting doesn't care about whether the flag is being disrespected or not. See also : Skinny white girls wearing Native American Headdresses. It's ignorant.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can't say that I'm up on the Flag Code. But that sentence you cite brought a smile.

Rare is the car dealership that doesn't star-spangle the hell out of their print and online advertising for their "special" sales during every "patriotic" holiday. Quite the trick, that using the imagery of the American flag to sell cars made in Korea.

I've quoted this before somewhere: Samuel Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
It's not really any worse than American flag underpants

sYtxHeL.jpg

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
It's a piece of cloth. Perhaps once it symbolized the freedom and liberty that our Founder's fight and died for, but not anymore. The current state of this nation is disrespectful to the original intent of those men. A flag being worn and touching the ground are trivial complaints compared to what truly desecrates it.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
I now realize why this thread was created in the "Hats" section, instead of in the appropriate "Observation Bar" section. It was meant to be hidden in plain sight.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a great ad - nicely photographed and clearly effective at getting attention. Where is the location, NY City?

Probably not going to cause as much controversy as the recent ANZAC Day campaign that Woolworth's ran in Australia. That one really annoyed a lot of people.

Even those underpants honor the flag.You people just don't get it.

You may be right, Michaelshane. Maybe I don't "get" where you're coming from on this (assuming you are including me in "you people").

Me, I ain't into flag "desecration," nor those who do it, in no small part because if it makes any statement at all, it is that some people will offend others for no other reason than experiencing whatever charge a person might get out of offending. And it betrays a lack of imagination.

I'm scratching my head at your view that those flag-themed undershorts "honor the flag." Please know that I'm sincere in wanting a clearer sense of your thinking on this. I don't know that I will adopt your point of view, but at least I might understand what it is.

I find it distasteful to fly the huge flags I occasionally see at car dealerships and other commercial installations. Their very size screams "my patriotism is bigger than your patriotism." Surely, the flag doth protest too much.

Last edited:

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I wear flag themed socks.Flag themed clothing shows patriotism,proud to be an American.I was once a young liberal.Served two tours in Vietnam,came home and was treated like a war criminal.Spent years and years ashamed of being a Veteran.After much therapy,I now am proud of my service and those who also served.I am a member of a rifle team who does full blown military funerals,and a flag ceremony.I have gained a huge respect for the proper treatment of a flag.I love the people who were like me treated like crap,and I despise being told "thanks for your service".I was injured in Vietnam physically and mentally.I have much anger.Dont take it personal when I lash out.

Probably not going to cause as much controversy as the recent ANZAC Day campaign that Woolworth's ran in Australia. That one really annoyed a lot of people.

Yeah, it sure appears that the large retail chain was looking to capitalize (literally) on the memory of those who fought and, in many cases, died during the Gallipoli Campaign.

Here in this most favored land Christmastime has turned into the most holy of retail seasons, and no patriotic holiday passes without retailers large and small looking to cash in. And what's a few hundred small flags, or one obscenely huge one, when you got hundreds of cars to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko