Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not too proud to beg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I need some help!!!!!!!!!My wife ,Kavita, doesn't dig the fedora addiction I have. Could you guys help me convince her that I'm not alone and that I NEED some more lids. Thanks. Oh and ladies it would be great if you could help too. Maybe convincing from her own 'team' will change her mind:D

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Gently explain to her that there are worse things to be addicted to - like alcohol, drugs and powdered doughnuts. Especially those three things in combination.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
handlebar bart said:
I need some help!!!!!!!!!My wife ,Kavita, doesn't dig the fedora addiction I have. Could you guys help me convince her that I'm not alone and that I NEED some more lids. Thanks. Oh and ladies it would be great if you could help too. Maybe convincing from her own 'team' will change her mind:D

I just sent your wife an e-mail, explaining that you are in fact the only person in the world suffering from this affliction; and that the rest of us are really just faking it. :D lol :D lol

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
I just sent your wife an e-mail, explaining that you are in fact the only person in the world suffering from this affliction; and that the rest of us are really just faking it. :D lol :D lol

I thought I might get sabotaged by the 7 1/8 'ers, but not YOU!!!!!!!!!lol lol lol lol

univibe88

One Too Many
EVEN-STEVEN said:
Gently explain to her that there are worse things to be addicted to - like alcohol, drugs and powdered doughnuts. Especially those three things in combination.

Drug filled powdered donuts dipped in scotch...mmmmm

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
She accepts a handlebar mustache but objects to hat?

Quit while you're ahead, buddy. [huh] I could never get away with that.

Seriously, maybe you could approach the topic from an
interest of hers. Maybe she would be interested in the
history of hats or the construction techniques or ...

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
She accepts a handlebar mustache but objects to hat?

Quit while you're ahead, buddy. [huh] I could never get away with that.

lol lol Funny you mention the handlebar. She tired to hire a hitman to come shave it off.:D

Rachael

A-List Customer
A quick shoes-to-hats comparison may help.

or a deal; you'll only buy a hat when she buys shoes. of course, if she doesn't have three dozen pair of shoes I can't help you

indycop

I'll Lock Up
EVEN-STEVEN said:
Lets not go offtopic and start picking on Doughnuts!:eusa_doh: lol lol Nothing wrong with Doughnuts!
Just get her a hat too!:D

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
Lets not go offtopic and start picking on Doughnuts!:eusa_doh: lol lol Nothing wrong with Doughnuts!
Just get her a hat too!:D

lol lol My Dad and brother are cops, I in no way endorsed or embraced the slanderous donut commentslol lol lol lol

Stoney

Practically Family
Right on Rachel

Rachael said:
A quick shoes-to-hats comparison may help.

or a deal; you'll only buy a hat when she buys shoes. of course, if she doesn't have three dozen pair of shoes I can't help you

You see.. Even from a woman the truth tells all.
This tactic always works for me. Just make sure that there are always less hats than shoes.

lol lol

Levallois

Practically Family
"Gently explain to her that there are worse things to be addicted to - like alcohol, drugs and powdered doughnuts. Especially those three things in combination"

There was a semester or three in college when I was addicted to all three of these. At least, I think I was - it's still kind of fuzzy. Luckily, I was able to kick all three and fall back on antique cars, antique guns and antique hats after I graduated. My wife puts up with these latter addictions because she knows there are far worse things like uh . . ., the formerly mentioned addictions. Comparison of a fedora addiction to things far worse is your best approach to take with your wife. Good luck.

John

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd try this: A hat is essentially clothing. People have different tastes and requirements in clothing. Some people wear ballcaps, some wear watch-caps, some wear fedoras.

It's no different that women's taste in shoes. Some women are satisfied to wear athletic shoes with everything, or flip-flops or those rubber abominations that have become popular. Other women prefer heels, and pumps and mules and sandals and any of the other designs and styles.

So, you see, it's not an addiction - it's a preference. And in a world of choice, this is the one I've (you've) made.

Can't argue with that now, can she?! ;)

-dixon cannon

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Fedora Psychology 101

I think many of us our addicted to our hobby. I know I am. Collecting is certainly an addiction. In my life I've had a lust for acquiring, in addition to vintage fedoras, antique radios, Japanese toy robots and space toys, souvenir buildings and miniature knives. I've broken it down into stages:

1. The tease and strategy of the hunt (how many hours do YOU spend on OFAS or scouring antique shops).

2. The thrill of the win (or the frustration of the loss).

3. The sweet anticipation of the lid's arrival. (This really kicks the endorphins into high gear for me).

4. The golden glow in the immediate aftermath of the actual acquisition (Hello, Mr. Postman!) and then, inevitably:

5. The letdown when the new lid is no longer new and we start sniffing around for our next "fix."

Any of you guys ever sneak a new lid into the house to avoid detection by the ball-and-chai... er, wife?

I think addiction is a basic human condition. We are all addicted to something: going to the gym, chocolate, nicotine, various behaviors, substances, emotions, thoughts, feelings... and even other people. The trick is (or so I've been told) is moderation.

In other words, everything in moderation - including moderation! ;)

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Ya know...I've gone as far as looking into an outside mailbox place. Just so I have a place for my hats to go to. Then I could sneak them in from there...:D
Now I haven't done that yet...but it may get there soon enough...:eek: :eek: :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
EVEN-STEVEN said:
I think many of us our addicted to our hobby. I know I am. Collecting is certainly an addiction. In my life I've had a lust for acquiring, in addition to vintage fedoras, antique radios, Japanese toy robots and space toys, souvenir buildings and miniature knives. I've broken it down into stages:

1. The tease and strategy of the hunt (how many hours do YOU spend on OFAS or scouring antique shops).

2. The thrill of the win (or the frustration of the loss).

3. The sweet anticipation of the lid's arrival. (This really kicks the endorphins into high gear for me).

4. The golden glow in the immediate aftermath of the actual acquisition (Hello, Mr. Postman!) and then, inevitably:

5. The letdown when the new lid is no longer new and we start sniffing around for our next "fix."

Any of you guys ever sneak a new lid into the house to avoid detection by the ball-and-chai... er, wife?

I think addiction is a basic human condition. We are all addicted to something: going to the gym, chocolate, nicotine, various behaviors, substances, emotions, thoughts, feelings... and even other people. The trick is (or so I've been told) is moderation.

In other words, everything in moderation - including moderation! ;)

Wow! You, Sir, wrote the book!!! Quick, get it copyrighted before somebody else takes credit for it. :) :D :) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit