Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not trying to be cute, but...

Tatum

Practically Family
Interesting observations from everyone.

I got "adorable" again tonight. I wasn't wearing vintage, very little makeup but I did have my hair in rolls. I would have preferred "hot as hell", and considering the group I was with, I would have been receptive to "hubba hubba" also. ;)

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I always wanted to be Ursula Andress. Instead my looks are closer to Sally Field. I just decided to embrace my cuteness. It makes it so much easier to sneak in for "the kill". No guy expects to get tackled by Sally Field.

Pandas are cute. And very dangerous.

rue

I always wanted to be Ursula Andress. Instead my looks are closer to Sally Field. I just decided to embrace my cuteness. It makes it so much easier to sneak in for "the kill". No guy expects to get tackled by Sally Field.

Pandas are cute. And very dangerous.

That's a perfect analogy! I've been told that I don't look or act anything like the way I am. It always comes as a complete shock. I think that's a good thing :)

Mark

Practically Family
From a chaps point of view cute is good. It means you're sweet, girlish a tad sexy and far more approachable than Hot, Glamorous and the like. rejoice in your cuteness i say.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
Until a few years ago, a close friend of my grandmother(!) kept calling me "cutie". I found that very disturbing, as a grown man being constantly called a"cutie" by an 87-year old woman...:eeek:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think cute is definitely a fella's way of saying you look good without coming off as having his tongue hanging out.

Seconded.

From a chaps point of view cute is good. It means you're sweet, girlish a tad sexy and far more approachable than Hot, Glamorous and the like. rejoice in your cuteness i say.

I think that cute is roughly synonymous with pretty in this context, at least how I would use it. It describes a different kind of attractiveness.
Cute:
gfgfg.jpg

Hot:
sophia%2Bloren.jpg

Both extremely attractive, both great, different types.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Classic Movie Use of "Cute"

In one of my all-time favorite movies (Farewell My Lovely), ex-con Moose Molloy is trying to persuade Phillip Marlowe to find his girlfriend from whom he hasn't heard in eight years (the time he was imprisoned for a heist). Moose (Jack O'Halloran) stands nearly a head taller and at least 50 pounds heavier than Marlowe (Robert Mitchum). Marlowe wants to brush him off, but Moose puts a big left hand on Marlowe's right shoulder as he explains what he wants.

At a certain point Marlowe asks, "What's she like, this Velma?". Moose looks down for a second, then fixes Marlowe with an eye-ball-to-eye-ball stare and says, "Cute. Cute as lace pants." Oh, Velma is played by Charlotte Rampling, smokin' hot 36 years ago.

Fantastic movie. Made in 1975, full of period-correct un-PC dialogue, great performances by character actors, especially the scenes with Sylvia Miles. Watch it if you can.

"Cute as lace pants." That still cracks me up every time I think of it!

Oh, it's a great hat movie, too. It's set in the summer of 1941, in Los Angeles, tall, wide-brimmed fedoras and six-panel caps.

Last edited:

Grant Fan

Practically Family
my boyfriend calls me cute all the time, and he usually says that over hot or anything else because I prefer it. The way I see it, is that it is a nice way of calling me hot. I like it personally

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I was just complaining about this today. I am 5 foot nothing tall with round eyes and mouth and button nose- all my life I have been referred to as that dreaded word 'cute' and faced with being called 'adorable'. I have just been saying today that even in the Goth club i frequented years ago people reffered to me a 'the little cute one' if they didn't know my name (I must stress that I didn't dress Gothic Lolita, nor wear frilly frou-frou skirts, nor fuzzy backpacks or kiddies jewellery-I restorted to spiky tribal tatoos, many and visible peircings, big stompy boots, aggressive dancing, lots of vinyl and latex) None of it really made much of a difference, so now I've given up and accepted it.

In fact my colour type (Bright/ Clear winter if you are vaugly interested) even had this write up: 'sweet, funny, cute people- always dimples or mischievous eyebrows' in a recent colour analysis article. So I'm forever Snow White; I'm resolved to make my peace with it now. Ho-hum- I'm off to cuddle a basket of kittens!

P.s The peircings have gone but i wish I could get rid of the tattoos (too expensive right now)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
In one of my all-time favorite movies (Farewell My Lovely), ex-con Moose Molloy is trying to persuade Phillip Marlowe to find his girlfriend from whom he hasn't heard in eight years (the time he was imprisoned for a heist). Moose (Jack O'Halloran) stands nearly a head taller and at least 50 pounds heavier than Marlowe (Robert Mitchum). Marlowe wants to brush him off, but Moose puts a big left hand on Marlowe's right shoulder as he explains what he wants.

At a certain point Marlowe asks, "What's she like, this Velma?". Moose looks down for a second, then fixes Marlowe with an eye-ball-to-eye-ball stare and says, "Cute. Cute as lace pants." Oh, Velma is played by Charlotte Rampling, smokin' hot 36 years ago.

Fantastic movie. Made in 1975, full of period-correct un-PC dialogue, great performances by character actors, especially the scenes with Sylvia Miles. Watch it if you can.

"Cute as lace pants." That still cracks me up every time I think of it!

Oh, it's a great hat movie, too. It's set in the summer of 1941, in Los Angeles, tall, wide-brimmed fedoras and six-panel caps.

Cute anecdote!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Seconded.

I think that cute is roughly synonymous with pretty in this context, at least how I would use it. It describes a different kind of attractiveness.
Cute:
gfgfg.jpg

Hot:
sophia%2Bloren.jpg

Both extremely attractive, both great, different types.

"Cute" seems to be synonymous with "innocent" in looks. Do you think that's true? I see it in these examples.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
Sometimes it's not just simple aesthetics but something that comes from within. Depending on how you laugh, react to things, things you say... I never ever get approached, ever! When I do it's a much older man or someone foreign I cannot quite understand (probably better that way) I'm told I'm "intimidating" which annoys me, but I understand it because I also do not taking anything from anyone and apparently that vibe comes across by simply the way I carry myself. I love Audrey and Sophia but I'm more into Sophia because she was just so sultry and could do so much with just her eyes, Audrey gave off more innocence but there was a twinkle in her eye :) Audrey may have been more wild behind closed doors and I think that mystery is what is so interesting, enticing to a lot of people who love her.

rue

Not to mention that Sophia has a full set of curves! It's hard to call a buxom lady "cute," unless she's Marilyn Monroe... And sometimes not even then!

Hmmm..... I'm plenty buxom :eek:, but I think it's because I'm short and have youngish features .......fast fading at 41.... that I'm still called cute. Although I can see your point. Audrey was straight up and down giving her a little girl look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24