Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing but Seamed Stockings

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hi! I buy mine from http://www.girdlebound.com They have good ones, and don't worry, I'm not anything near a tart and I can get away with them! It really depends what you wear them with and how you wear them. I'm sure she'll look rather classy!

decodoll

Practically Family
I second what Lauren said. It all depends on what you wear with them. I wear mine everyday with my vintage. I even wore them to the flea market yesterday. I just feel more comfortable in skirts and stockings than jeans and tennis shoes. :) I got tons of comments, mostly from older people saying, those are from my era!

My favourite companies for seamed fully-fashioned stockings are http://www.christel.co.uk and most recently magnoliahosiery.com. I like the quality, and the selection at Christel is slightly better, but the price at Magnolia is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and they are both made on original machinery.

If she's worried about looking tarty, I'd start with nude or natural (that's what I almost always wear) rather than black.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much ladies! I can tell you are very classy gals;)
I will pass all information on to my darlin' and hope that we can do some online shopping soon. I hope I can win her over to wear them as often as possible.
Thanks again and please do not hesitate to post or contact me if something else comes to mind that would be helpful,

Cheers,
Christoph

decodoll

Practically Family
Last edited by Lauren Henline : Today at 09:06 PM. Reason: suggestive content on link

Sorry....didn't realize Magnolia was more suggestive than Girdlebound....:confused:

I tried to pm you to find out why, but your box is full.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I've officially started my search for vintage undergaments. I promised Hemingway Jones that I wouldn't take it this far, but I must! So, I've checked out a lot of your recommendations, and find them to be very helpful, thanks so much for that. In my search I found this web site with a lot of links to find FF stockings, cinchers (thank goodness for them), and other under garments. I figured it would be easiest to give you a direct link to the page, rather than to try and give you a list of all the links I liked that I found on the site, just in case the sites are too racy for FL. So check it out, it does have a lot of good links. By the way, Lauren, I've ordered from girdlebound. Thanks for putting up that referral. I also ordered some FF stockings from the site that decodoll posted. Their prices were definitely good.
So here's the link. I'm not that into the Pin up stuff, but the link is for "the pinup cafe"
http://www.pinupcafe.com/vintage-stockings/Vintage-Nylon-Stockings.htm

decodoll

Practically Family
Glad you found what you were looking for Daisy. :) Girdlebound is my favourite for girdles and suspender belts too. I have to take a look at your link now. :) Thanks! I'll have to bookmark it.

Lauren

decodoll said:
Sorry....didn't realize Magnolia was more suggestive than Girdlebound....:confused:

I tried to pm you to find out why, but your box is full.

Sorry, I emptied it now! I sent you a PM. No worries.

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies,
just thought to let you know aboyt my wife's first experience in reall classy nylon stockings and lingerie. As I have psoted earlier we are both kinda new to the retro scene but totally in love with the fashion, music and pin up culture. My wife was afraid that she would just not look pretty enough in her new nylon stockings. I bought her for Valentine's Day a very pretty orsett with embroidered flowers and a pair of Secrets in Lace European Heel FF nylons with seam. WoW! As you can see in the photo's she is a real bomb! She really enjoyed her new retro look and she got a lot of looks on the street. She has asked me already when I buy her a new pair of nylons. I am a very lucky husband!;)

Of course, she still seeks to improve her appearance with different make up, clothes and hair style but I guess everything just comes with experience and experimenting.
Again, Happy Valentine's Day to all you ladies!

Cheers,
Christoph

Daisy Buchanan

Your wife looks very pretty, and what a great guy you are to buy her such a nice Valentines Day gift.
Well, I have finally received the three pairs of FF nylons that I purchased from Magnolia Hoisery, and I am very happy with them. I have never been a fan of garters and thigh hi's, because of discomfort. But I must admit, the sets that I bought are quite nice. I went a little overboard and bought a few different items, and am surprised at how comfortable they all are. My plan was to pick the most comfortable, and return the rest. But, I love them all. I was also happy with the prices at Magnolia. The FF nylons were quite lower than all the other places i found. I did by the cinchers and garters at Girdlebound.
So, thanks for passing along the info. I found it very helpful.
Now for a question. I was watching a movie from the 30's the other day, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, one of the actresses was wearing what I can only describe as "female boxers" over her garter belt. They were small, yet loose, silk shorts. I really liked the look, and was wondering if anyone has ever seen any set like this before. Please let me know, and if you find them on a site that's to risky to put up, please feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your help,
Daisy

Lauren

They're called "tap pants" and they were actually just the regular underwear of the 30's and 40's. I don't know where you can buy some, but I know Folkwear makes a sewing pattern that includes some. You can also pick them up on Ebay. They're lovely little things and very comforatable.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Girdlebound.
So, thanks for passing along the info. I found it very helpful.
Now for a question. I was watching a movie from the 30's the other day, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, one of the actresses was wearing what I can only describe as "female boxers" over her garter belt. They were small, yet loose, silk shorts. I really liked the look, and was wondering if anyone has ever seen any set like this before. Please let me know, and if you find them on a site that's to risky to put up, please feel free to PM me.
Thanks for your help,
Daisy

Perchance were you watching "Being Julia"? I think that's the title - it's a fairly recent movie with Annette Benning. (which I love)

Daisy Buchanan

Vanessa said:
Perchance were you watching "Being Julia"? I think that's the title - it's a fairly recent movie with Annette Benning. (which I love)
Oh My, you are totally right. It was Anette Benning in Being Julia. Are her undergaments true to vintage? I just thought it was cute, and looked comfortable too.

Daisy Buchanan

Lauren Henline said:
They're called "tap pants" and they were actually just the regular underwear of the 30's and 40's. I don't know where you can buy some, but I know Folkwear makes a sewing pattern that includes some. You can also pick them up on Ebay. They're lovely little things and very comforatable.
Thanks, I just did a search on Yahoo! for tap pants, and a ton of sites came up. Now I have to weed through them to find the ones that look most vintage.

decodoll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thanks, I just did a search on Yahoo! for tap pants, and a ton of sites came up. Now I have to weed through them to find the ones that look most vintage.

If you find some that look vintage, please share. :) I have a couple of pairs that I got awhile back, but the company stopped making them, and I haven't found good new ones since except for the pair I saw at the Agent Provocateur store last week, but they were almost $200 :eek: !! One of these days I'm going to get around to making some.

I'm glad you're happy with your Magnolia purchases. They are a tad shorter than some other brands, but I think this is actually more vintage accurate.

Daisy Buchanan

decodoll said:
If you find some that look vintage, please share. :) I have a couple of pairs that I got awhile back, but the company stopped making them, and I haven't found good new ones since except for the pair I saw at the Agent Provocateur store last week, but they were almost $200 :eek: !! One of these days I'm going to get around to making some.

I'm glad you're happy with your Magnolia purchases. They are a tad shorter than some other brands, but I think this is actually more vintage accurate.
I just found a set that I really like. I will PM the link to you since it may not be appropriate to post. I also found that Target has a set, in about four different colors, on sale for $8.50! They are plain looking, but still quite nice. You can't beat the price. It might cost you more to make them, but then again I don't know anything about sewing

Vanessa

One Too Many
I blipped over to Target's site to check out their offerings. . . they look nice except for the evil elastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner