Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Corky said:
Does anybody have any idea why some hats have the vent holes arranged in the star pattern and others in the snowflake pattern?
I'd say that it's probably not a scientific thing but more of seeking a pattern design that looks balanced and then being able to make a "punch" to produce the vents.

alden405

A-List Customer
about that film,its a load of bunk

check www.militaryhorse.org for some serious critic

DanielJones said:
I wonder if this qualifies? My latest acquisition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290224337533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

5624_1_sbl.JPG

I'm going to try to go for this look with it as far as the shape of it.
2595_12.jpg

One of my favorite films. Just a tad hard to find any good screen captures for reference photos is all.

Cheers!

Dan

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Eurkeka Arsenal

From what I have learned F. Bugress and company is no more. I have been debating the Eureka Arsenal hat as well, but I can't find any reviews. I emailed Eureka last month ( I was curious since their website hadn't been updated since 2005) and this was the response I received:

Dear Scott,

The web site prices are all current. We make 1889, 1904? (Star Vent, turned under brim), and 1911 Campaign Hats, all priced at $85.00.

Yours,
Jim Kanne
www.eureka-arsenal.com

I just wonder if $85 is too high of a price for what their website ( http://www.eureka-arsenal.com/PROD_FRAME.htm ) advertises as a Wool felt hat , when the Dirty Billy hat for $125 is Nutria fur.

Cheers,

Scott

liten

One of the Regulars
eureka hat

thanks for replying scott, i actully rang eureka a spoke to jim, and he was very helpful, he insisits that his hats are what troopers were suppled with and to get the shape we all want , can be formed by doin it our selves, and he,s right i can be i ve tryed it on a 76 hat from dirty bills, and that had a smaller crown as well, eurekes hat is 6 inch crown, more to work with . cheers larry

Ztex

New in Town
Cool stuff here!

I have three campaign hats in my collection....
One here thrown on the shelf of other stuff...
P1000936.jpg

This one is an old Army hat with no band...it's my fav.
ZDGrassMountain-1.jpg

And my dress Stratton in use....

SummerCamp102.jpg

that's me on the left!

I have a head gear affliction....

Corky

Practically Family
This one is currently available in the classified section

This one is currently available in the classified section:

b3.jpg

Star Pattern Perforation, modified diamond bash, fur felt Resistol 7 1/2.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
WWI Stetson Clear Nutria

This one came with several photographs of the original owner wearing it:

CampaignFront1.jpg

CampaignFront2.jpg

CampaignSide.jpg

CampaignSweatOutside.jpg

CampaignSweatLogo.jpg

CampaignInside.jpg

liten

One of the Regulars
hi any one else out there in campaign hat market, i myself is still looking , have had near miss purchases from a couple of the main supplers, wont mention any names at this stagelol so if you want to discuss, places of purchase and places to stay away from, come on in!!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
liten said:
hi any one else out there in campaign hat market, i myself is still looking , have had near miss purchases from a couple of the main supplers, wont mention any names at this stagelol so if you want to discuss, places of purchase and places to stay away from, come on in!!

Check the pre-1940 Stetson western thread - there's a Spanish-American War campaign hat that you should save the pictures of. It gives enough detail that you could provide the pics to someone like Clearwater for a nice, reasonably-priced reproduction. But I would buy one off ebay - you can get an authentic one for the same price, or less.

Here's one that should be arriving any moment. I don't know when they stopped doing the vertical sweatband logo, but it was almost certainly WWI or earlier:

Campaign hat off ebay

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Baggers said:
You are correct sir. The origin of fastening the brim up on the left side of the slouch was to prevent the brim from interfering with the rifle when carried "at the slope," or left shoulder arms.

As you can imagine, the wiiide brim of the hat in that last photo would have caught the rifle when the weapon has being "thrown" up to the shoulder, which is the actual term used in describing the movement in the manual!

Cheers!

I can see that would work for the infantry. But, the cavalry would find it quite difficult to pull off left shoulder arms, while mounted.

Here's a source for Australian slouch/campaign hats. Does anyone have any experience with Lawrance Ordinance?
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/the_q_store/hats_slouch/index.php

chippy

New in Town
Lone_Ranger said:
I can see that would work for the infantry. But, the cavalry would find it quite difficult to pull off left shoulder arms, while mounted.

Here's a source for Australian slouch/campaign hats. Does anyone have any experience with Lawrance Ordinance?
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/the_q_store/hats_slouch/index.php

i guess they arn't strictly Calvary, but i always thought the Australian Light Horse (mounted Infantry)appreciated the clipped up side of the hat for carrying the gun over the shoulder, even while on horse back

liten, that little pic in my avatar at the moment is an original 1858 US slouch hat, is that the type you mean? i'm not sure where they can be found, but i have seen them (reproduction) somewhere:eusa_doh: ..the Aussie slouch if you change the dents a bit would be pretty similar i think .pretty common thing for people to change the crease on aussie slouch hats too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner