Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now here's an item I found today and just simply couldn't resist buying.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I uhhm,...don't exactly know what to do with it, but hey,the price was right! ;) Although I don't think I'll keep it. I just HAD to buy it as it's kinda cool, I think. :p Don't really know how to use it although it appears to be mechanically sound save for the leather belt that broke as soon as I touched it! :eusa_doh: No matter, I have learned in the short time I have owned it that they are readily available from Singer.
I have the table/treadle part still lodged in the back seat of my car. Also seems to work fine. It needs some cleaning up like the machine itself here did, so I will post a pic of that when it's ready.
I wonder if anyone here knows anything about this type of machine? So far I have found a number to call (tomorrow) to get the exact date of manufacture, and I found out that the name of the decorative pattern is commonly called "Red Eye" for the red eye-shaped things in the design.
Anybody collect these? Or know of anyone that does?

f1210e50.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
should be easy

I used to use a treadle sewing machine when I was younger.
You can ease the needle forward or backward a little by hand with the wheel at left. The treadle you just push down and up with you feet.
I'm sure you'll get the hang of it. And the envy of many ladies in the Lounge.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Ah ha, I have a similar type, but built into a desk-like cabinet. Unfortunately, I know nearly nothing about it, but apparently there is a whole group about collecting them (with lots of Singer identification info., too):
http://www.needlebar.com/

db5zx

Familiar Face
About a year ago, I restored a Singer Class 66 my great-grandma had bought in the 1920's. Now it works perfectly except for the lower thread which has to be realigned, as it doesn't yet feed the thread correctly.

You might want to check out www.ismacs.net, the International Sewing Maching Collector's Society. Even if you don't join the society, their website has a lot of information and the mailing list is pretty informative, as well.

Also, I can give you the contact information to a guy that deals with spare parts for those old sewing machines. I had to get some replacement parts from him as I completely disassembled mine down to the last screw and a couple of parts were beyond saving... I can do that later today from home, I don't have the information here at work.

Also, if you think about taking the machine apart and don't have a repair or instruction manual, you might want to spend the extra 10 bucks on eBay to get it, it saves you a lot of trouble, as I learned the hard way...

Jens

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
My parents had one of these (yet without the fancy colour pattern) and I can still remember hurting my fingers several times as a child, when I was playing around with the treadle, just couldn´t, for the life of me, leave it alone. :D

When we moved from our old house (which we had only rented) into a new appartment, my parents decided to get rid of it. Well, they probably shouldn´t have, now that there´s eBay and all...

db5zx

Familiar Face
I tried to dig up the contacts to the parts vendor, but couldn't find it, since I only keep the eMails of the last two years... sorry...

But I got his contact info directly from Singer, so maybe try that!

Jens

Imahomer

Practically Family
Very nice. I've got an old Singer maching in a nice old Oak cabinet. I decided to turn it into a night stand in my guest bedroom. It is just the right height and size and has a lamp and a old wind up radio on top now.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, they can be turned into a number of different things. I thought this one would make a good desk, the wood top with drawers anyway. Then some people take the iron legs and make patio tables out of those. I think I'll leave this as a sewing machine as I think I can make it work again without too much trouble.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
you should just give it some oil, find a 20's electric conversion and attatch it. I see it came with the light anyway, so the pedal and motor should have been with it too. Did it come in a box? Alot did and they sat on your table so you could sew. I have an old White from the 20's and it's almost the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot