Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Starring, Your Vintage Items!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, has this ever happened to you: You're watching a movie, be it old or new, and a character walks into a scene in an outfit, dress, skirt, sweater, suit, hat, whatever, that you have in your vintage collection??

It can be a vintage movie, or a movie that takes place in vintage times. It doesn't even have to be an article of clothing or an accessory, it could be a piece of furniture, a lamp, just about anything.

This has happened to me twice. A ladies outfit in the movie "Hollywoodland" is an exact outfit that i have. Also, and I'm embarrassed to admit to seeing this movie, but in the new movie "Lucky You", there is a character wearing a cardigan that is the twin to a vintage 50's cardigan that I have. This isn't a movie based in the golden era, it takes place in modern times, but the costume designer must have liked vintage styles, because a lot of the girls clothes had a real 50's look to them.

So, have any of your vintage items ever shown up on screen??

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
This has happened at least once that I can remember. Sadly, I don't remember what movie it was exactly. I think it was a fairly modern movie though, made to look like the past. Anyway, I was watching it at home and the scene was in one of the character's living room. I had to pause and rewind the movie at one part because I thought I recognized the radio in the corner. Turned out it was a Zenith CobraMatic, exactly like the one I have in my family and got restored a few years ago!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cary Grant was on a sleeper train in some movie or another and pulled out a Conn straight necked C-melody saxophone, just like I own three of, and began honking away.
Conn.99524-a_sm.jpg

For you sax players, it looks like an overly big alto, with a tuning screw thingy behind the mouthpiece.

Feraud

Bartender
I know I have something else to share but for now here is my claim to fame.
Shot glasses of the style used in Blade Runner. If I recall correctly, Ford used a blue one.
DSC00699.jpg

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
Not Vintage But

In the movie Closer, i think it's Jude Law who has the same wallpaper, sideboard, carpet and phone as me

in the cinema i kept shouting out* "i've got that!"

*not shouting, saying it to my friends

Rooster

Practically Family
Yep, happened to me, There was a gun in the PATRIOT that looked just like one I built. In fact is actually WAS one I built!lol
patriot-214.jpg
[/IMG]

texasgirl

One Too Many
How funny that you started this thread Daisy! I was watching the Painted Veil this weekend and saw my lamp. And it's from Wal-mart...they must have been on a budget lol

671d_1.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Jun.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
In the Connecticut episodes of I Love Lucy, Lucy has a white ruffled hobnail rosebowl sitting on her dining table & I have the exact same one. I love when I notice my things! :eusa_clap

Brooksie

One Too Many
Not AT ALL GOLDEN ERA but this is what I have to contribute to this thread...

In the movie the "Slums of Beverly Hills" the teen age girl that is the main character has a set of samsanite luggage it is white with big black flowers and vines and the inside is bright orange fabric. My Grandma had this exact same luggage - I think she got is in the very late 60's and it was a 4 piece set and my mom inherited it when my grandma passed away in the 70's and kept it untill last year she finally gave it to our favorite thrift store. I would have taken it but I did not have the space for it. (I remember while watching the movie saying to who ever I was with there's grandma's luggage).

I have other things to contribut to this thread but I will have to do it later.

LB

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a whole bunch of mid-thirties films where I've seen a particular radio that I own -- a Majestic "Smart Set" table model with a chrome speaker grille and black wood inlaid highlights in the cabinet. It's usually shown in some ultra-spiff art deco boudior, where the marabou-bed-jacket-wearing occupant is listening to Leo Reisman-type dance band music while languidly lounging.

I use mine to listen to the Red Sox games while wearing a patched flannel nightie and yelling at my cat to stop eating the leaves off the ficus tree. It's not quite the same, but close.

BegintheBeguine

Not a movie, but real life

When hubby, mom and I were on the antique car side of Big Daddy's museum www.garlits.com a few years ago they had a room full of antique household items. I recognized my bathroom scale, cheese grater, French's spices, and flour sifter that I all use. Wow, my things are museum pieces.
I have a replica of Madeleine's suit from Vertigo, made for a Syracuse department store when the movie came out. That doesn't really count, then, either.
My neighbor had the same drinking glasses that Longstreet used in the TV show.
My goodness, these are lame examples I've given. Everyone has so many cooler flashes of recognition than I.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I was a bit surprised when in the first issue of Classic Style one of the photoshoots "stole" my signature look, including the exact same Ralph Lauren tweed cap!

I swear I did a doubletake when I first saw it.

Feraud

Bartender
Do you have a picture to post?
I would love to see it. Vertigo is one of my favorite Hitchcock films.
BegintheBeguine said:
I have a replica of Madeleine's suit from Vertigo, made for a Syracuse department store when the movie came out.

Daisy Buchanan

Wow, you all sound like you've had some very cool experiences with the movies!! It's so amazing how many of you have actually had this experience. But then again, we are collectors, so the likelihood has got to be on the high side:)

Here's a picture of the outfit in "Hollywoodland" that I have. Mine is a light pink, and I think hers is yellow or peach, but that might just be due to the lighting of the set. Either way, this is the exact outfit that I have. It's one of my favorite knit sets and I was rather surprised to see something that I thought was kind of rare right there on the movie screen. I'm pretty sure the outfit that she is wearing is an actual vintage piece, not a reproduction, for it is the exact same outfit that I have.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Not really a vintage item but...

When I was first reviewing a series of home movies from the '39 World's Fair, I saw this fella at a water fountain wearing exactly what I was wearing at the time (except for the brown shoes):

waterfountainguy.jpg

Same shirt, same trousers, even the same hairdo, and in one of my most common poses. Then there was this doppelganger in another reel, but that's another story.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
There is this small wall shelf that has been in my family as far as I can remember... Can't tell ya how I ended up with it, but I've had it since 1990 or so... anyhoo I happened to notice it on the outside of the house in the 97 version of Lolita. Coincidence? I think not!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
LolitaHaze said:
There is this small wall shelf that has been in my family as far as I can remember... Can't tell ya how I ended up with it, but I've had it since 1990 or so... anyhoo I happened to notice it on the outside of the house in the 97 version of Lolita. Coincidence? I think not!
Wow, that's one downright eerie case of synchronicity! :eek:

Flivver

Practically Family
I was watching "Skinner's Dress Suit" (1926) recently, and saw my 1926 Super-Zenith IX radio in Skinner's living room!

This is a great movie starring Reginald Denny and Laura La Plante. It's about a young couple and the problems they face when the husband looses his job and tells his wife instead that he got a raise! She keeps spending (including on the Zenith radio) and trouble ensues. But the day is saved, in the end, by Skinner's dress suit.

For 1920's enthusiasts, this movie is highly recommended!

BegintheBeguine

One of my favorites, too

Feraud said:
Do you have a picture to post?
I would love to see it. Vertigo is one of my favorite Hitchcock films.
1. Find suit. 10 rooms, might take a while.
2. Borrow camera.
3. I fiinally have a scanner!
The lady I spoke to at the thrift store told me something I'd suspected, that stores had similar clothes for sale that were based on styles in popular movies of the day. Has anyone else heard this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy