Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Starring, Your Vintage Items!

Josephine

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
The lady I spoke to at the thrift store told me something I'd suspected, that stores had similar clothes for sale that were based on styles in popular movies of the day. Has anyone else heard this?

Oh yes, I remember something I saw (maybe an extra with The Women?) where the daughter told Dad "You promised me a dress, let's go shopping!" They go to a store and she tries on a frock exactly like a certain starlet wore in a certain move. I can't remember the starlet or the movie though. The documentary type voice over talked more about how movie fashions made their way to stores.

pgoat

One Too Many
Not a movie, but a while back I did a project for the City Govt. preserving old photographs. I saw some old pea coats on servicemen returning from WWII, but lots of people have those (I collect the old Kersey 4-buttons and later 3 buttons).

One thing that was cool tho was I found a pic of a woman in her apartment and she had the same TV we had when I was growing up. I think it was a "Olympia" brand; hardwood console with a 19" or so screen and two speakers in the bottom of the cabinet. I remember every so often it would cease to function until a man appeared wearing coveralls, opened a tool box which contained vaccum tubes. He'd pop one in and bingo! Back to the Sat. Morning cartoons!

I've also seen my first car (1954 Chevy, I bought in 1981 with $ I made driving an Ice Cream truck with my girlfriend the summer before starting college) in lots of photos and movies. Not as unique as some of the beautiful items you folks own, but always brings a smile to my face anyway - good memories!:)

Feraud said:
...Shot glasses of the style used in Blade Runner...
DSC00699.jpg
Darn! I had an old shot glass pair similar but sans colored ring, where did those get to?
Have a wood streamline moderne tube FM (it says FREQUENCY MODULATION under the needle on the dial face) radio like the one on the dresser in the hide out hotel room in "Bullit" where the hit takes place. I played it last circa 1982 (?) to listen to Don Brown's hot jazz radio program.
Or delighted to see the odd broomhandle Mauser especially in old pics.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
I have a replica of Madeleine's suit from Vertigo, made for a Syracuse department store when the movie came out.

oh, lucky you, I love that suit.

pgoat

One Too Many
Indeed , Jimmy Stewart had good taste!

The only suit of that type which might be even better is the one Lauren Bacall wiggles in at the end of To Have and Have Not (or maybe it's just Ms. Bacall that makes the difference? - no disrepect intended to the beautiful Ms. Novak!)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sears Roebuck

Josephine said:
Oh yes, I remember something I saw (maybe an extra with The Women?) where the daughter told Dad "You promised me a dress, let's go shopping!" They go to a store and she tries on a frock exactly like a certain starlet wore in a certain move. I can't remember the starlet or the movie though. The documentary type voice over talked more about how movie fashions made their way to stores.

In the 30s, I know they had a line of clothes as seen on Loretta Young, and had her posing for the pictures in the catalog. You can see these in the "Everyday Fashikons of the 1930s" book that Dover press puts out (a must-have for anyone fairly new to collecting, also their 20s and 40s versions).

Also in the 30s, Butterick put out a line of patterns based on outfits a star wore in a movie - usually more than one outfit per movie. They promoted them in their magazine, the Delineator.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy