Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NR MINT ROUGH WEAR AC 16159 A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This fantastic RW is in essentially new condition apart from the knits which are NOS replacements. As members know RW had five contracts for A2s and the 16159 was their first, dating to the 1941 fiscal year. By no means as rare as the 1940 Aero, this pre-war contract was most likely considerably smaller than later contracts, if the numbers of surviving jackets are an indicator.

It displays all the familiar RW characteristics, but the pocket flaps are more angular than on subsequent RW contracts.

The 14th AF captain who owned the jacket wore it to reunions, but remains unidentified. Here are some pictures.

028-19.jpg

029-17.jpg

030-16.jpg

051-7.jpg

035-13.jpg

032-12.jpg

033-19.jpg

034-15.jpg

036-12.jpg

038-12.jpg

too much coffee

Practically Family
Spectacular jacket.............but why do the collar points come to a different height on the chest? Is it because the collar is rumpled in the back?
Also, why do the epaulets reach for the sky when the jacket is worn? Maybe because it's in "essentially new condition" and the horsehide is not broken in yet?
Just wondering.
Regards, coffee

aswatland

too much coffee said:
Spectacular jacket.............but why do the collar points come to a different height on the chest? Is it because the collar is rumpled in the back?
Also, why do the epaulets reach for the sky when the jacket is worn? Maybe because it's in "essentially new condition" and the horsehide is not broken in yet?
Just wondering.
Regards, coffee

The jacket has been in storage and has not been broken in.

aswatland

too much coffee said:
I can only imagine how great it's gonna look when broken in. Great to have an original that can be used as a daily wearer if desired.
Super find Andrew.......Enjoy!

Unfortunately it will not become a daily wearer. I only wear my original A2s occasionally, such as to air shows as I try to minimise the risks of damaging them.

dr greg

One Too Many
green with envy

Peacoat said:
Wow. Where do you come up with these? Are you sure that isn't a Goodwear repro?
Unless that company has a secret recipe for inducing localised verdigris, I'd be inclined to doubt it.
You can of course 'age' cheap bronzes in horse urine, as any tourist to the East can tell you, but whether or not anyone is dedicated enough to apply it to jacket fittings without affecting the leather is debatable...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails