Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rough Wear Clothing Co. ac23380 A2 size 44

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have previously owned several A2s from this, the smallest of RW's wartime contracts. This one is made from what I suspect is cowhide. We know from DNA testing cowhide was used in the ac23380 contract, which was awarded on 26th December 1941 and was for 12,000 jackets. The leather has great character.

I have replaced the Crown zip with an M-41 NOS Talon and also replaced all the knits which had been badly attacked by moths.

Looking carefully at the leather, which remains very supple, it has been lightly re-dyed around 1944 when the shoulder decal was applied. As a size 44 it fits more like a 42 and is slightly smaller, although still wearable, than the size 44s I have from RW's four other contracts. Sadly the white pocket label is missing, although the nomenclature label present and in good shape. I will post some wearing pictures later in the week.

kowalski

Practically Family
Great jacket ( like all your jacket WW2 :cool:) and have great condition for its age
I love the collapse of the skin that give it its character jacket
Very well chosen cuffs,which look as the original, lining is also in very good condition from what I see

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes another great condition jacket, very nice and wearable.
What intrigues me more is who on earth paid for DNA testing of things like this and why? the jacket is obviously too old to b a repro and if another same contract jacket was made in horse, would the difference in value made it worth the worth the money spent on testing. Thats just my curiosity by the way.
When I had the cuffs replaced on my 'Lucky 7 Seven' WWII jacket I boiled them in water them to give the elastic a more relaxed look. It was just enough to give a slightly worn in look. The spring loaded Crown repro's look a bit fragile compared to basic Talon zips.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. Gary Eastman quite sensibly paid to have several of his A2s DNA tested to put to rest the argument that cow was not used for Wartime A2s. There is a whole chapter on this in his A2 Flight Jacket Manual. I am so glad he paid for DNA testing as it has resolved along standing argument. Moreover he uncovered documents from the US Materiel Division which specifications for cow to be used in the manufacture of A2s. I would recommend reading this fascinating book.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Cheers Andrew, I did wonder who DNA tested it as I heard this kind of testing for forensics was quite expensive.
The book I have seen a few times but I guess we all have different levels of interest and this just can't hold my attention for more than about half a page. It is what it , an identification manual with hundreds of pictures of pocket flaps and zips etc mainly. The Maguir books I read from cover to cover in a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran