Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nume Leather

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Through google translate, I discovered my Attractions grizzly jacket is made out of aniline-dyed nume horsehide.

Have folks had experience with nume leather? A quick search of the Lounge turned up just one thread where the word "name" was misspelled, and a google search just turned up some cursory descriptions by people who sell it.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
From a Japanese site....

"The Nume-leather is tanned in an ingredient called Tannin extracted from a plant, with its surface left natural without any surface processing. It takes more than a month for the tanning process. The Nume leather is not only beautiful to look at but also superior in durability. Authenticity of leather is prevalent. Since the surface is left natural, the trace of vessels or wrinkles can be seen on it. This guarantees authenticity. The more you use it, the genuine leather gets shiner and the color gets deeper. That is the fantastic part of the leather."

Feraud

Bartender
From a Japanese site....

"The Nume-leather is tanned in an ingredient called Tannin extracted from a plant, with its surface left natural without any surface processing. It takes more than a month for the tanning process.
This part sounds like what is generally known as vegetable tanned leather.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys.

I'm well familiar with veg tanned vs chrome tanned vs other techniques, do you think "nume" is just a marketing tag for veg tanned goods?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thanks guys.

I'm well familiar with veg tanned vs chrome tanned vs other techniques, do you think "nume" is just a marketing tag for veg tanned goods?

That is what I was just about to write. Most leather tanneries have brand names for their different types of leather, which don't necessarily have much other meaning. It allows them to give their product some cache as well as being able to sell it to others under a different brand name, even if it's the same exact leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace