Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nunn Bush

Steve

Practically Family
I have a pair of leather shoes from them that I wear often, and just yesterday I was shopping for some formal black shoes and saw that they have very nice wingtips. Are they true to forties style or are there differences that set them apart from vintage shoes?

http://www.florsheim.com/flstore/style.do?cID=10099

I'd appreciate any advice, because I wouldn't mind getting a pair sometime.

Jay

Practically Family
They look nice. Always wanted a pair of wingtips.

USELESS TRIVIA: John Dillinger was wearing Nunn Bush shoes when he was killed in Chicago.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Steve said:
I have a pair of leather shoes from them that I wear often, and just yesterday I was shopping for some formal black shoes and saw that they have very nice wingtips. Are they true to forties style or are there differences that set them apart from vintage shoes?

http://www.florsheim.com/flstore/style.do?cID=10099

I'd appreciate any advice, because I wouldn't mind getting a pair sometime.

The style is indeed a classic one--men have been wearing them for years. In the '30s men, especially in Britain, might not have worn them with the dressiest of city suits, because decorations like the punched holes (called "brogueing") makes a shoe less formal. Still, they are very classic and you'd look great in them.

What is undoubtedly not classic about them, however, is the construction. Vintage shoes were made to last, but most modern ones, including those made by Nunn Bush, aren't. Depending on how often you wear them, you'd be hard pressed to get more than a year out of them, at which point they won't be good for much but the garbage. If you can afford it or save your pennies for longer, think about these shoes from Allen-Edmonds. About the same style, but much better quality. Also three times the price, though you might be able to find them cheaper at an outlet or on Ebay.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Orgetorix said:
. Also three times the price, though you might be able to find them cheaper at an outlet or on Ebay.
Yes, AE can be regularly had for 50% off and at that price they are quite a value.

Steve

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
The style is indeed a classic one--men have been wearing them for years. In the '30s men, especially in Britain, might not have worn them with the dressiest of city suits, because decorations like the punched holes (called "brogueing") makes a shoe less formal. Still, they are very classic and you'd look great in them.
That makes sense now that I see it put that way, thanks for the tip. I ended up purchasing a pair of cap-toe shoes, and now I'm glad that I did.

Orgetorix said:
What is undoubtedly not classic about them, however, is the construction. Vintage shoes were made to last, but most modern ones, including those made by Nunn Bush, aren't. Depending on how often you wear them, you'd be hard pressed to get more than a year out of them, at which point they won't be good for much but the garbage. If you can afford it or save your pennies for longer, think about these shoes from Allen-Edmonds. About the same style, but much better quality. Also three times the price, though you might be able to find them cheaper at an outlet or on Ebay.
I'll keep an eye open the next time I enter the market, thanks very much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR