Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I agree that WW is a great thing, having lost 30 pounds there myself last year.

Unfortunatly I didn't do core, so its a bit harder to continue on myself....and money now says i cant keep going and lose the other 40 pounds...but I am trying...

And yes...exercise is important. I was working out an hour or more a day for most of the time I was really losing.

Denise...who must get remotivated.....

ps You are such a great inspiriation Nikki.....you should seriously go submit all those pics and your story for the WW magazine!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Congrats on your loss Denise!
Thank you for the kind words. I might send in my story, "one of these days"!

Frankly core isn't explained much at the meetings unless your leader does core. It is still rather new and many leaders still do Flex points. Even my leader is clueless and asks me questions all of the time. The core boards at www.weightwatchers.com is the best place for info.. you can just lurk too!

Here's the link for TOPS. Basically there's a chapter in almost every small town and it meets in church basements and such. When I attended it was like $20 a year. It was just nice to have someone else weigh you every week and have discussions. I think they base things on the food pyramid and calories.
http://www.tops.org/

Nikki

starla

New in Town
I'm in college so my classes and societies and workstudy keep me walking around a lot. I also go to the gym twice a week to lift weights and go on the stair machine. I find that I like doing muscle-building stuff a lot more than cardio and I figure I get enough exercise walking around all the time...I'm hoping to avoid having a car for a while so I can continue that way.

I also like to go on periodic juice fasts, a week or so once every few months is usually how much I do. It's not just about losing weight although that is part of it; juice fasts also help me keep a healthy perspective on how much I eat and what I eat, as well as flushing a lot of nasty stuff out of my body. I'm going to start another one tomorrow, in fact.

I used to play a lot of sports in high school (field hockey, hockey, lacrosse) but I also ate a lot so I was pretty chunky. Now I'm not as muscular but I'm leaner and I feel healthier.

Adelle Rose

New in Town
I don't do much exercise..
In school we do one hour a week :eek:

One week we do cross country, i.e. running around trees, through rivers and bogs. The next week we have a choice of weights, badminton or gym. The weights room is usually taken by the pushy kids, so I do badminton. I love sports, because you don't realise you're excercising when you're having fun. I walk home, up a huge hill to get to my street. I don't have a car so when we go food shopping, I'll be carrying 5 heavy bags up there.

Thing is, I don't look fat, just curvy, but I don't feel particularly healthy. Considering the poor amount of exercise I do, I must have a healthy diet or be naturally curvy to be a size 14. I weigh 13 stone though :eek:, but Im 5ft 9 so hmm I'm okay with that.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Wow, congratulations Nikki!

I just watched your slideshow of before and after photos, and it's such an inspiration. You look absolutely fantastic, and deserve many rounds of applause for doing it twice!

Beautiful gowns, too. Did you make them yourself?

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Well..

Hi everyone. Am pleased to report that I am walking more this week. I am walking at least a mile each time which is a start. Will carry on as I'm starting to get better each time again. Just need to tackle the spending and eating now....hmmm..... !!!! ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Polka Dot! I'm still stuggling tho.. the next 5 weeks I have to stay within two pounds to make lifetime. Oh, how I love food, lol!

Nope, didn't make the gowns. Wish I could. My goal is to at least be able to make a simple vintage day dress. I dabble, but don't have the patience.

Good for you Eleanor! I have got to start excersising!!!:eek:

Nikki

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
reading this thread has been inspiring!

i've been working on losing the weight i've gained over the past few years. my goal is to be able to fit into my vintage again! so far i've lost 8 pounds and i think i have about 25 to go. most people think the desire to lose weight primarily to fit into vintage clothes is crazy, so hopefully some of you will understand ;)

for exercise, i ride my bike and walk(for transportation), dance, and occasionally do yoga. i also have a huge set of exercises my chiropractor has prescribed for my back, which are also helping to shape up my abs!

eating-wise, about a month ago i realized i have a wheat allergy. so a lot of the things that tempt me the most are strictly off-limits now! besides that, i've just been trying to limit my mindless snacking, and if i feel the urge to binge, i'll admit it out loud, and think of what i could do to instead, which is usually knitting. and i try to eat as many unprocessed foods as i can. it seems to be working, so far. i can't wait till spring and the return of the farmer's market!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I have wheat allergies as well, and with staying away from bread products, I've found that I've lost weight just with doing that.
You'll find at first that it's a real pain in the rear trying to find things that you can eat (especially if you are a big bread/pasta eater!) but the good news is, at most stores now, you can find gluten free pastas and eventually you'll get the hang of being able to cook a great meal without the wheat.
It might be worth checking out if there's any gluten free stores in your area...there's one around where I live that's amazing! it has everything from donuts (though you can't think of it as a real donut because it is pretty darn dense...but hey, when you've got the urge for one, they do!) to pizza dough. THese places really are a life saver for us! I wish you the best of luck with getting use to this new way of eating!
:eek: ....sorry, I know this was a bit off topic!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
I have wheat allergies as well, and with staying away from bread products, I've found that I've lost weight just with doing that.
You'll find at first that it's a real pain in the rear trying to find things that you can eat (especially if you are a big bread/pasta eater!) but the good news is, at most stores now, you can find gluten free pastas and eventually you'll get the hang of being able to cook a great meal without the wheat.
It might be worth checking out if there's any gluten free stores in your area...there's one around where I live that's amazing! it has everything from donuts (though you can't think of it as a real donut because it is pretty darn dense...but hey, when you've got the urge for one, they do!) to pizza dough. THese places really are a life saver for us! I wish you the best of luck with getting use to this new way of eating!
:eek: ....sorry, I know this was a bit off topic!

continuing the off-topic...

thanks :) yeah, me too. i cut out wheat, and the weight started falling off me. i'm sure it will level off soon. i feel like i have a lot more energy now, and no more stomachaches to ruin my day!

luckily i've integrated spelt back into my diet without negative consequences! i'm relieved it's not ALL gluten that does it. i've had a lot of luck shopping at the food co-ops, and even trader joes! a lot of places in my town offer spelt as a bread option for sandwiches too. i'll look for a gluten-free store, as well, i never realized such a thing might exist.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
I was in a car accident in Sept 06 which limited me on everything,I couldnt walk a few blocks without popping the vicodin for my SI (think hip) joints like candy.

Ive finally gotten to the point I can function without muscle relaxers,anti inflams,and pain killers.So the next step since this isnt a surgery injury is loosing weight.I need to loose 10 lbs,but Ive lost 7lbs already.And my back feels better.

Im primarily a Vegan (we dont eat meat or ANY animal biproducts),and takes tons of supplements.

Ive gotten back into the gym.I do the PreCor machine (works arms,butt,and legs.) At some point my doc will give the okay for weight training again ( i started that after I was recovering from a different car accident--I know I should own a bike!)

Im looking into Krav Maga."Krav Maga is the self-defense and fighting system of the Israeli Defense Forces.

A hybrid of karate, wrestling, judo, jiu-jitsu, boxing, muay thai, and street survival tactics, Krav Maga is a simple, effective self defense system that emphasizes instinctive movements, practical techniques, and realistic training scenarios." Taken from the Krav Maga of DC website.http://www.kravmagadc.com

In short,I should be a mean,in shape, vintage, killing machine soon :cool:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Good for you Cherrie!:eusa_clap
I highly recommend martial arts training to women, and children for that matter, great exercise, and I know from experience not needing to worry about the dark alleys is really nice.:)
I've always been interested in trying Krav Maga, let me know what you think of it.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
Im gonna try the intro classes for 20 bucks.So I'll let you kow how it goes.

Someone had mention finding exercises from the 40's.If you watch The Women,theres ALOT of footage of women at the salon and it shows some of the wacking machines women used to get in shape.Oh and The Women is such a good movie anyways!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Exercise

Well, I finially took my lazy overworked self to the gym that opened a few weeks ago not to far from my home and enrolled. It's a 24hr one, so I can go in the middle of the night when no one else is around! I was enrolled at 24 HR Fitness about 2 1/2 years ago and went pretty regulary until I had some financial misfortunes and couldn't afford it any long. So, hopefully I will get back into the same good patterns.

Cherriexo

Familiar Face
pretty faythe said:
Well, I finially took my lazy overworked self to the gym that opened a few weeks ago not to far from my home and enrolled. It's a 24hr one, so I can go in the middle of the night when no one else is around! I was enrolled at 24 HR Fitness about 2 1/2 years ago and went pretty regulary until I had some financial misfortunes and couldn't afford it any long. So, hopefully I will get back into the same good patterns.

I wish mine was 24 hours.Im such an insomniac.

Good luck! And Ive found,to try and not beat myself up over missing a day.

jugband1

New in Town
shooshoo-- I completely understand! I am 15lbs out of all my vintage and all my regular clothes for that matter. I can't afford to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe, so I HAVE to lose it! I am going crazy wearing only the same pair of jeans and pants and the same shirts all the time! UGH. Nikki-- I think I am going to do weight watchers with my sister in law....I will let you know how it goes.

kate

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
ShooShoo, I was right there with ya on the vintage thing!

What symptoms do you have with a wheat allergy? Doing the unprocessed thing is a big help, that's alot of what the core plan is. I feel SOOO much better, and when I look at labels it is shocking!

Kate best wishes with WW, that's awesome that you will be doing it with your sister!

Nikki

jugband1

New in Town
thanks--she has done it before with some success, but has a hard time keeping it up without the weigh ins...so I think we are gonna do the meetings. I see on their website that there are several different programs you can follow- as far as I can tell the "points" one looks best to me...seems like eat what you like, but once you hit your day's points you're done...the core plan seems more limiting-- with foods that are primarily off limits and what not (like south beach, atkins, etc)? but then again you don't have to log every bite that goes in your mouth and try to tabulate points for it....I am having trouble deciding. their site doesn't get real thorough about it----

any thoughts/opinions from the WW experienced? [huh]

Starla-- what kind of a juice fast are you doing? I thought something like that might be nice to cleanse and kick off the weight loss. Do you have some kind of program, or just drink only juice for a week straight?

thanks guys--Kate

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
jugband and ohairas,

i'm glad it's not just me aspiring to fit into my old vintage :) what got me started was finally getting a breast reduction last summer, so it's actually possible to fit into my old shirts and dresses, if i lose weight elsewhere.

a new connundrum though, is i've lost enough weight that my favorite vintage-ish skirt to wear dancing is too big in the waist.. but all my other stuff is 4 or more inches away from fitting! what's a girl to do.

:eek:fftopic: with the wheat allergy, i was getting really bad bloaty stomachaches at least a couple times a week. i got them as an omnivore, as a vegan, and a vegetarian. i got them when i ate nothing but junk all day, and nothing but healthy whole foods. my acupunturist suggested cutting out wheat, since i also had a lot of fatique, and have a lot of joint pain. everyone's symptoms are a little different, but i've been feeling a lot better and have had more energy since cutting out the wheat. luckily it seems to be a wheat allergy and not a gluten thing, so i've been eating spelt products with no negative consequences. it makes sense that it's wheat, since it's in pretty much , i don't know why i didn't think of it sooner.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: Hmm.. boated and such from the wheat? I wonder if I have that too.. I had a terrible episode this week and couldn't figure it out. I did have wheat pasta that day! I'll have to monitor that and see, thanks!

WW flex points vs. core. Well, if you have never done WW before I would reccomend you start on flex points because with either plan you need to learn the points anyway. From there I HIGHLY suggest switching to core, but only if you want to take the time to cook from scratch, ect.
Yes, core is a "limited list".. however once you really get into it you'll see how truly "limitless" it is. I mean, there are scads of recipes you can make from all core foods... and if you want you can spend a point or two to make it better, such as real cheese. No, bread is not core, but you have to count bread on either plan. So just keep an open mind.
The best place to learn about core is the core community board at www.weightwatchers.com
Go lurk there, you don't have to be a WW member. You'll see plenty of post starting with "flex vs. core?"
In closing both plans work if you work them. Just choose which one works best for you. In my opinion they're both the most practial for life time success, vs. all the other fad diets.. which I've tried!

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs