Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Another symptom of wheat sensitivity is ecxema, and sinus pain and pressure, someone close to me figured it out about three years ago, and within weeks of not eating wheat all of these were gone, as well as 20 some odd pounds.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I did it!

Finally, after blowing a lot of hot air and saying I'd start exercising, I did it last night! Good lord, I thought I was going to die (I don't suppose cursing at the TV is very lady-like!) - but I got through it! I'm amazed at how good I feel today. I'm using The FIRM system - I don't have all the fancy-schmancy equipment but the videos are good - a person could go broke buying all that stuff!

lindylady

A-List Customer
I've been on my new lifestyle regimen of more exercise/less sugary+fatty+starchy foods for 2 weeks now. It's hard, but I'm pleased to say that since I've made some dietary changes, my body is taking on a more decidely feminine shape. Here's hoping for more positive results in the weeks to come. Thanks, ladies, for your tips on cutting back on unhealthy foods!

jugband1

New in Town
ohairas--thank you so much for the information-- I think we are going to start this week. I will check out the message boards over there on ww.com and see how it looks. I just feel like I need to have some accountability about what is going in my mouth-- I snack mindlessly when I am not even hungry, just bored....and having a 6'8'' 170lb husband who eats whatever he wants at all hours is not helping me resist temptation!:rolleyes: I have high hopes that this combined with the addition of moderate cardi to my yoga/pilates will help me shed these last 15 lbs so I can wear my vintage again too!

kate

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
jugband1 said:
I just feel like I need to have some accountability about what is going in my mouth-- I snack mindlessly when I am not even hungry, just bored....

i can't believe how much of a difference keeping a food diary made for me! of course i haven't done it this week, and have been snacking up a storm. but when i was diligently doing it, if i didn't want to write it down and have to look at it again later, i wouldn't eat it! who wants to look back and see "5 handfuls rice crackers, half a tub of hummus while watching seinfeld reruns" on their list - not that either of those foods aren't healthy, in moderate, thought-out proportions!

and i agree that having a partner with a hollow leg can be a challenge.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Cherriexo said:
Someone had mention finding exercises from the 40's.If you watch The Women,theres ALOT of footage of women at the salon and it shows some of the wacking machines women used to get in shape.

Something like these?

beltmassager.jpg

beltmassager1.jpg

I actually have this machine, and while I can't vouch for it as a weight-loss tool, it sure is a lot of fun to have for parties! lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
sweet leilani, that looks like it would be quite relaxing after a hard day at work! Better than going to the mall and playing in the stores that have all the massage chairs and devices, cuz you have one at home!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ok...wish me luck

I have broken down and decided that less money is ok...and rejoined WW online.....so that I have a little bit more structure to my efforts since I need to lose another 40 pounds or so.

Granted...I have kept the 30 lost a year ago mostly off...but thats not the same as losing the rest of it.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Granted...I have kept the 30 lost a year ago mostly off...but thats not the same as losing the rest of it.

But that in itself is a darn good accomplishment Miss Neecerie, I really admire that:eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My exersise update.

Well I am forgoing the treadmill this week (Aunt Flow is visiting :eusa_doh: ) but as of July I have shaved 4" off my waist. I think thats pretty good :rolleyes:

Ive had to take in mostly all of my clothes, and gave a few away that I just didnt want to bother taking in. I went down a dress size but I still by the old size and Im all "Man this is big!" Then I remember and I blush.

I still have a ways to go but Im happy with my progress. Its been slow, but that means I can keep it off.

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Yay good for you Lady Day!:eusa_clap
It's such a great feeling when you realise you can slip into something smaller, and it's more comfortable, I am contemplating a 'diet' I prefer to call it a lifestyle change, I wouldn't mind seeing myself with 5 or 10 less pounds and see how I feel, I'm just afraid of failing:eek:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Well, I have even more reasons to hit the gym more often. I recieved a few things in the mail that were a tad too small! So I hit the gym last night, and after I am finish with some of the weekend cleaning, I am pulling the roller skates out and embarrasing myself in front of the neighborhood!

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
faythe, roller skating is such great exercise, and fun! maybe you could train to be in a roller derby league ;)

ladyday, i don't blame you for not treadmilling during your visit from auntie. the thought makes me nauseous! maybe something gentle like walking or yoga or swimming (if you have access to a pool) would be a nice substitute! getting moving always makes me feel good. 4" is amazing! i mainly want to lose the weight on my waist since it's out of proportion to the rest of me. do you feel like it's been coming off pretty evenly for you, or are you losing faster in some areas than others?

canadadoll, i'm more into "lifestyle changes" too. no matter how ideal of a weight i get to, it will never be healthy to consume things like sugar ALL the time.

has anyone read (i apologize for the potentially-offensive title) the book "french women don't get fat"? she has a lot of good suggestions for managing your weight while still eating for pleasure :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's right, LD! Now git to it!

Seriously, I have a pretty grueling workout that involves a 7.5 mph run at intervals with a 4.5 powerwalk, stairmaster, and elliptical. Even though it's not fun to go to the gym in tight pants when bloated, it really does make me feel less crampy and grumpy during my period!

Plus, I've lost a total of ten pounds since I started up again. And this is without dieting - imagine what results I would have if I did! :rolleyes: Although I should mention, I'm a vegetarian and watch what I eat every day, it's second nature to me. My mom was very health conscious while I was growing up and I learned from her.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
ShooShooBaby said:
canadadoll, i'm more into "lifestyle changes" too. no matter how ideal of a weight i get to, it will never be healthy to consume things like sugar ALL the time.

I've always viewed the word 'diet' as something you switch on and off when you accomplish your goal, or need to re-accomplish it, whereas Lifestyle Change has a more permanent, sustainable ring to it, that's just me though[huh] .
It's not that I consume a lot of sugars, but that I haven't had the most health concious upbringing, (my mother has struggled all her life with weight)
and now I just don't really know how to approach it, I don't want to be yo-yoing up and down because I've heard that can wreck your metabolism, I'm basically terrified of doing something wrong and ruining it all:( but this thread has been really helpful for tips and advice, so I've been perusing carefully and taking little notes:)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
faythe, roller skating is such great exercise, and fun! maybe you could train to be in a roller derby league ;)

ladyday, i don't blame you for not treadmilling during your visit from auntie. the thought makes me nauseous! maybe something gentle like walking or yoga or swimming (if you have access to a pool) would be a nice substitute! getting moving always makes me feel good. 4" is amazing! i mainly want to lose the weight on my waist since it's out of proportion to the rest of me. do you feel like it's been coming off pretty evenly for you, or are you losing faster in some areas than others?

has anyone read (i apologize for the potentially-offensive title) the book "french women don't get fat"? she has a lot of good suggestions for managing your weight while still eating for pleasure :)

I bought and read that book, and I really like it. I'm looking forward to getting her next book: French Women for all Seasons.

--Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart