Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do karate and cardio-kickboxing. When I skip a class (not very often) I do Tae Bo or one of my martial-arts related DVDs. If you like a challenge, I recommend this DVD to ladies who already work out:

Elite Forces Rapid Readiness Workout. The DVD pretends you are a secret agent going on a mission and need to train. The graphics are GREAT! If you haven't been doing cardio or high impact workouts, I recommend you think about this for later as it's pretty hard. It certainly isn't the best DVD out there, but I ready the reviews on Amazon and decided to get it It's fun if you are looking for something different.

I do about 5.5 hours of excercise a week, and have lost two dress sizes since I started Cardio-Kickboxing a couple months ago. My cardio instructor is also my Karate instructor and he is *tough*. One of my classmates took two other Cardio Kickboxing Classes before this, and says this is the toughest class she ever took.

Vintage Betty

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Kick boxing aerobics is absolutely great exercise! Just a forewarning though...you'll be sore in places where you didn't know muscles existed!lol
Toning exercises are great if you are wanting to 'slim' up. I have a routine I do that takes a little over half an hour. Push ups/crunches; I do a variety but it's 100 every day. leg lifts, and butt exercises. And like I mentioned before, dancing of basically any sort will tone up muscles as well.
before the period!lol oh, don't feel bad! EAT THE CHOCOLATE! For me, it's my one thing that keeps me happy!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
out of body experience

Has anyone found them selves, shoveling food in their mouths and while doing so thinking, "I really shouldnt be doing this, I know better!" I was craving sweets so bad last night, I opened a can of icing and put some on crackers, and thats what was going through my mind.
Plus, when I read I like to snack, any healthy suggestions?

Shearer

Practically Family
pretty faythe said:
Has anyone found them selves, shoveling food in their mouths and while doing so thinking, "I really shouldnt be doing this, I know better!" I was craving sweets so bad last night, I opened a can of icing and put some on crackers, and thats what was going through my mind.

That makes me think of something I saw on a commercial the other day. Philly cream cheese came out with pre-made, sweetened cheesecake filling. It's supposed to be that you just buy the readymade crust and add the filling, but I was thinking, now who the heck is going to fill a pie with that?

I'd just eat it with a spoon. lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
pretty faythe said:

The fact that you can acknowledge that, and know its not good means you have the ability to change it.

I went through the same stuff too, and as most people know, new habits need to be developed. So when I got to the exercising I knept thinking "this is what i need to do, this is what I need to do," and altho hard, I kept to it.

Knowing its different is the first thing. I wish you luck!

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

pretty faythe said:

I have a suggestion - don't buy cans of icing! Seriously, having that in the house will lead to bad things. Don't buy cookies in a box either, or any munchy snack that's sweet and liable to be wolfed down. For sweets when I need them I'll have a small handful of chocolate chips if I really need something...you might also try a slice of toast with jelly. Even that has quite a few calories though.

You might try baby carrots with nonfat ranch dressing as dip. Nice and crunchy!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Other healthy though not necessarily low fat snacks include celery with whole nut, sugar free peanut (or any nut) butter and chopped veggies with houmous. Oatcakes are good too. Or any kind of fruit. A wholemeal or seeded bread spread with a thin layer of avocado and an optional dash of tabasco is one of my favourites. These snacks may not be low fat but the good fats help stave off further hunger attacks and make you less likely to want more! If you replace all your white wheat based bread/crackers/cookies with oat cakes, healthy alternatives, a variety of fruits etc then the temptation is gone and if you do overindulge you can just think of the good the fibre is doing your insides and what those lovely EFAs will do to your hair and skin.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a suggestion - don't buy cans of icing! Seriously, having that in the house will lead to bad things. Don't buy cookies in a box either, or any munchy snack that's sweet and liable to be wolfed down.

lol good thing to be brought up! I know for me too, if there's anything sweet in the house, it seems to call out..."EAT ME!".
Here's my favorite snack; tortilla chips (I'm usually one who likes a bit of crunch!)

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Oh this is a great thread! So inspirational ladies!

I have just joined the gym this week and have been watching what I eat since December. I had a Dr's visit and was informed that I was prediabetic! A very nice wake up call to get my health in check. No carbs no sugars and drinking lots of water.

My only worry is that eventually my vintage dresses will be to big for me! :(

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Snack foods for me are 94% fat free popcorn, sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding, fruit, or veggies. Those are some of the free snacks on the WW core program. For low points I eat the Weight watchers chocolate muffins, (just had one, SO good!), Stauffers chocolate animal crackers *16-18 of em*, or Miss Meringue cookies. (those are all around 3pts. per serving and I get 35 pts a week)

For 'hand to mouth' mindless snacking I always go for the popcorn. I can eat it till it's gone and it's good with I can't believe it's not butter spray. Occasionally I have it with a caffine free diet coke.

I agree with others, if you can't put the icing down, don't buy it. I don't buy anything that is a trigger food for me. If it's in the house I will snarf it down.

Many of my snacks or low point foods are low fat, sugary or have splenda in them. I don't want anyone to think I'm all for "chemicals".. but as you can see the 35 points keep this very modified. And many times I'll choose the *real* thing, such as a slice of cheesecake for 8 pts. I rarely have diet soda even tho it is free on core.
For instance, I blew 21 points this week on pizza, 7 pts a slice. YUM. But the old me would have engulfed the whole pie.

Nikki

Miss_Bella_Hell

ohairas said:
Snack foods for me are 94% fat free popcorn, sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding, fruit, or veggies. Those are some of the free snacks on the WW core program. For low points I eat the Weight watchers chocolate muffins, (just had one, SO good!), Stauffers chocolate animal crackers *16-18 of em*, or Miss Meringue cookies. (those are all around 3pts. per serving and I get 35 pts a week)

For 'hand to mouth' mindless snacking I always go for the popcorn. I can eat it till it's gone and it's good with I can't believe it's not butter spray. Occasionally I have it with a caffine free diet coke.

I agree with others, if you can't put the icing down, don't buy it. I don't buy anything that is a trigger food for me. If it's in the house I will snarf it down.

Many of my snacks or low point foods are low fat, sugary or have splenda in them. I don't want anyone to think I'm all for "chemicals".. but as you can see the 35 points keep this very modified. And many times I'll choose the *real* thing, such as a slice of cheesecake for 8 pts. I rarely have diet soda even tho it is free on core.
For instance, I blew 21 points this week on pizza, 7 pts a slice. YUM. But the old me would have engulfed the whole pie.

Nikki

OMG, sugar free, fat free PUDDING?!!! I LOVE pudding! I must buy some. How is it, does it taste weird? What brand do you use? And where does one buy WW chocolate muffins?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am very cautious about what I eat. And if I eat snacks, it is generally an oat (whole grain) cereal of some kind from the box. I dont do processed foods, or anything with corn syrup of any kind.

Grab a box of Cheerios they are super yummy, or any type of granola or oat cereal for a sweet snack :essen:

LD

Kim_B

Practically Family
I am proud to report that I have been sticking to the exercise routine for a little over a week now! I can already tell a major difference in my attitude and mood - and it apparently shows! I've had several people comment in a positive way how chipper and cheerful I've been lately. That makes me feel good! I've also found that I sleep a ton better, especially on the nights that I work out.

As for snacking, I try not to buy anything that will be a temptation (darned Girl Scout cookies!). Things I always keep handy are the Nabisco 100 Calorie snack packs (chips, cookies, etc.); one package will keep me from going on a binge and eating an entire bag of something. I am in love with the Smart Pop bags of popcorn - 100 calories per mini-bag. Apples (Granny Smith are my favorite), strawberries, and bananas are also staples in my snack stash. I also bought some of the Slim Fast Optima snack bars to keep a couple in my desk at work in case a chocolate craving hits. Oh, another snack I love are the Dole Fruit & Yogurt cups, especially the Peaches and Creme. Perfect for a refreshing sweet treat. Oh, if you're an ice cream junkie I highly recommend the Skinny Cow brand treats. Ice cream sandwiches, fudge bars, ice cream cones...they are all pretty tasty! Hmm...can you tell I like to eat!?

Vintage Betty

Exercise, snacking and PMS

I only started losing weight when I started Cardio-Kickboxing. I lost very little weight with Karate. However, lately my Sensei has been making the workouts very cardio and very hard. I think someone has been talking with him, because the pace has definately picked up.:eusa_clap

Regarding snacking: There is a new product on the market for PMS and chocolate cravings. It's only available at Health Food Stores and is very expensive:

Ecco Bella
Health By Chocolate

It's a candy bar which eliminates or subsides the PMS Cravings. It's $4 a bar, and there are bars for good skin, etc. The chocolate is also sold in pieces in a little cardboard container for $28. It's horribly expensive, and also the only thing I've ever found which eliminates my cravings. It tastes like chocolate and flowers. The link is here.

Vintage Betty

I know it has been mentioned on here before because that is how I found it...but use www.sparkpeople.com
It is free and is a fabulouse tool! I started the second week in January and have lost 10lbs so far. I still have a way to go but this website has made it soooo easy for me. I have never been able to loose weight this consistantly before.
You can also use it even if you don't need to loose weight but just want to learn healthy eating and exersise habbits.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
pretty faythe said:

Don't let yourself get that hungry. Have healthy food in the house, take healthy food with you if you are going to be out and about, or have some healthy restaurants in mind. Eat small, frequent meals.

For reading, I suggest a cup of tea instead of a snack.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Originally Posted by pretty faythe
Has anyone found them selves, shoveling food in their mouths and while doing so thinking, "I really shouldn't be doing this, I know better!" I was craving sweets so bad last night, I opened a can of icing and put some on crackers, and thats what was going through my mind.
Paisley said:
Don't let yourself get that hungry. Have healthy food in the house, take healthy food with you if you are going to be out and about, or have some healthy restaurants in mind. Eat small, frequent meals.

Yes, but what do you do when it isn't because you are hungry...you just can't help yourself? This is me on many days...reaching for something to eat, just because it's there or because some one else is eating. I've been trying to get in the habit of finding something to do when I get the urge to rummage through the fridge...sew something, exercise, make a piece of jewelry...something with my hands so I'm busy and it gets my mind off eating.

Speaking of eating small frequent meals, there is actually a diet called The Three Hour Diet and recommends eating every three hours...breakfast, a healthy snack, lunch, a healthy snack, and dinner. I find that if I do eat all day long (healthy foods, mind you) I have a lot more energy and am never starving by mealtimes. It is hard to make sure there is healthy food around to reach for when snacking, but it really pays off in the end.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It all starts with your grocery shopping (or where you plan to go eat). Make sure you have healthy food with you and then fill up on it. At my office, we used to have candy--lots of it--around. It was a great temptation if I was even a little hungry. But if I eat a small meal (small, but large enough to fill me up), I can leave the junk food alone more easily.

I've recommended it before, but I'll do so again: Body for Life. It's a sensible diet and exercise program that gets results pretty quickly, but you don't have to turn your life upside down. When you see and feel good results, it's a lot easier to say no to junk food and to sitting around.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One more thing: Body for Life has one free day per week: you eat everything and anything you want. This is good for a few reasons: your body needs a good feed once in a while to know it's not starving (says Bill Phillips). You've got to have some freedom to eat the less-healthy things you love. And finally, a day of gorging yourself on junk food reminds you of the yucky, sick, lethargic feeling you might have had when every day was free day. It helps keep you on track for the rest of the week.

Nobody eats perfectly all the time. If you make a mistake, just get back on track and don't worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart