Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm bringing this thread back to the top now that I'm actually starting to exercise!

My boyfriend has lost 50 lbs in the past 3 months :)eek:) on Nutrisystem, from just portion control alone. Last year he was 300 lbs, slimmed down to 280 and now he's 230! He's halfway to his goal of 180, and I'm truly amazed at all that he's done. He's been off Nutrisystem for about a month now and has maintained his weight, but will need to start working out in order to lose the rest. It's truly amazing what portion control can do for some people.

I've gained a little weight in the past couple of months. The thing that really got me to notice was that I can't comfortably wear my girdles anymore because my thighs touch and rub together too much. My thighs never used to touch before! And panty girdles completely cut off circulation to my legs! I've always been petite, but, like others have said, when you're small, 5 lbs looks like 10, and food definitely sticks to me, so I've always been battling to stay at 110-115 lbs.

I recently rented the Carmen Electra Fit to Strip workout video (no stripping involved in this one, just light cardio and toning exercises) and my legs are killing me! I could only make it through half of the video the first time around, but finished the whole thing tonight.

Any recommendations for at home workout videos? I have lots of anxiety about going to gyms or classes (P.E. traumatized me!), so that's why I'd prefer doing stuff at home.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Pidgeon Toe. If you are looking to do weight training (which I highly recommend), that I would pick up Tammi Lee's I want that body). She gives to two sepersate 15 minute workouts for your entire body that will give you fantastic firming).

I keep meaning to workout but just never get around to it (I am too lazy). I am a huge fan of portion control and have lost over 20 lbs since December doing only that. I eat what I want but try and keep my diet 90% and the remaining 10% goodies that may not be considered good for you.

It's amazing how much weight you can lose by eliminating white flour and sugar from your diet. You can still eat you you are not constantly starving, and still lose weight.

Rosie

One Too Many
I too am starting my healthy eating portion of the year. I mostly eat healthy all of the time but I've already told you ladies how I go back and forth.

I've recruited three friends to go along with me this time so, it should be lots of fun.

One thing that I've done in the past (and I'm going to do this time around) like Kimberly said, is the elimination of white flour and most sugars. However, I think this is something I'm going to try to eliminate for life.

Pigeon Toe: Do you like Yog? Rodney Yee does a great Yoga series from beginner to Power Yoga, excpetional in my opinion.

For those of you who have cable, the free on demand stations usually have some kind of exercise routine. There is this company called Mag Rack that releases these videos (or get them on free on demand) one in particular is Belly Dancing for weight loss, lots of fun and a very good workout. Also, using a hula hoop for working out is another thing that is lots of fun but tones up the body.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Count me in as one who is aiming to lose a few pounds before summer! I have absolutely no self discipline to do workout wideos at home though, nor can I afford to join a gym. I do yoga once a week though, I think I need to go to an aerobics class too though. I love yoga but sometimes you just need to SWEAT a bit.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Rosie said:
Pigeon Toe: Do you like Yog? Rodney Yee does a great Yoga series from beginner to Power Yoga, excpetional in my opinion.

I do love yoga, I used to do it once a week for a few years back in high school. I'm kind of afraid to do it on my own though, since I'm hyperflexible naturally, but don't have the muscle to back it up. It's easy for me to pop a joint out of place (not fun) and to have really terrible form cos I'm so flexible! But I might give it a shot!

I wish I had On Demand, belly dancing sounds fun!

Rosie & Kimberly, good luck with the 'diet'! I don't think I could ever eliminate sugar. I would probably drop dead!

I'm going to check out both of the videos you gals suggested, I hope they work!

Novella

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
I wish I had On Demand, belly dancing sounds fun!

Rosie & Kimberly, good luck with the 'diet'! I don't think I could ever eliminate sugar. I would probably drop dead!

I would definitely drop dead if I stopped eating sugar!

A couple years ago I bought this bellydance video. Sounds cheesy, is cheesy, but fun too. It's not a video to make you break out in a sweat or increase your heart rate, but if you can get it cheap it's worth it for the good stretch. The amazon reviews are tough on it, but I felt like it was helpful when it came to teaching how to move your hips.

A couple years ago I tried the Taebo tapes my Mom had, and they were actually pretty good. Definitely a sweaty workout from those videos. (Billy Blanks, only slight less cheesy than the Goddessworkout, ha)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab

LOL! This is why I love the Core plan from Weight Watchers. It's limited in a very precise and non-depriving way. I've had birthday cake, icecream, and tons of chocolate this week and am still on plan.

My leader made me write a success story for a contest, cross your fingers for me girls, maybe I'll win a huge prize!!:p

Nikki

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
Count me in as one who is aiming to lose a few pounds before summer! I have absolutely no self discipline to do workout wideos at home though, nor can I afford to join a gym. I do yoga once a week though, I think I need to go to an aerobics class too though. I love yoga but sometimes you just need to SWEAT a bit.

You should try hot power yoga! I honestly have never sweat so much in my life! :eek:

Rosie

One Too Many
ohairas said:
LOL! This is why I love the Core plan from Weight Watchers. It's limited in a very precise and non-depriving way. I've had birthday cake, icecream, and tons of chocolate this week and am still on plan.

My leader made me write a success story for a contest, cross your fingers for me girls, maybe I'll win a huge prize!!:p

Nikki

I tried WW a few years back, it was good. I gave the materials to a friend of mine just a few days ago. I flipped through the food and progress journal ans was surprised at how much weight I lost that year.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
:confused: I've started belly dancing with a dvd called Belly Dance Basics, Combinations, & Strentght Workout East Coast Tribal with Sera. I'll see how it goes. I was trying another one, but couldn't understand a word the instructor said. :confused:
Have you guys seen that commericial, its a cartoonish one, with a husband and wife, the wife says she and her husbad cut out soda she loses 5 pounds her husband loses 15, they start counting calories she looses like 10 he looses 100 or something, the start walking he loses more she gains some back, she yells at him to stop it what is he trying to become a zero!! My sister started counting calories again and she has droped a size, we were at wal-mart and I was like, we the heck is that pill!!
I've done things with her in the past, strict, followed plans, put all my energies into cardio, weight lifting, got the body fat down, and she would slim away and drop pounds and here would be me, feeling like that woman from that commercial.....grrr. Yeah, I'd feel good cuz I'd have the muscle and not the fat, but sheesh, I'd want the body weight and sizes down too.

Well, any way, one of the medications I am on now, may have a positive side effect...WEIGHTLOSSS!!! yeah!!!!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well for me, I have been making due with a broken treadmill for a few weeks :rage: It was crazy, I was on it and it just turned off. I got to turn it back on again, and its at its top speed and wont stop!

So until that is repaired in a couple of weeks, Georgia (my pubby kisses) and I have taken to the streets and gone up one on the hilliest parts of the citay every day.

DSC00164.jpg

We chill at the park at the top for a few, then head back down. I find the hike very refreshing, and about a half an hour up and 20 min down. Right now we do this about 4 times a week, and let me tell you, my legs are feeling fine! I like going up hill way more than down tho, is that strange?

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I like going up hill way more than down tho, is that strange?

i prefer uphill too. downhill bothers my knees a bit (geez, how old do i sound??) plus if i've walked pretty far uphill, i feel like i have spaghetti-legs on the way down!

and as for me... as of last night i'm done moving! so now i can start thinking about my eating and exercising again. a lot of new beginnings in my life, so it's time to make some new healthy resolutions, because i've gotten ridiculously off track!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
Well for me, I have been making due with a broken treadmill for a few weeks :rage: It was crazy, I was on it and it just turned off. I got to turn it back on again, and its at its top speed and wont stop!

So until that is repaired in a couple of weeks, Georgia (my pubby kisses) and I have taken to the streets and gone up one on the hilliest parts of the citay every day.

DSC00164.jpg

We chill at the park at the top for a few, then head back down. I find the hike very refreshing, and about a half an hour up and 20 min down. Right now we do this about 4 times a week, and let me tell you, my legs are feeling fine! I like going up hill way more than down tho, is that strange?

LD

Oh, your dog is so cute. I also have to take my Luna, or Loony as she had become, on walks everyday or she becomes a crazy dog. Oh well, she only a year old and will hopefully mellow with age.

Anyway, for other exercise I go to 24 hour fitness (and not just to scope out the hot guys, although that can be a benefit.) I also have about 30 workout videos and dvds ranging cardio dance and bellydancing to kickboxing and pilates. I'm not a big yoga fan because all the yoga videos I've tried have been kinda boring. There are some great yoga moves though that I add to other routines. I try to get in a video or two a week.

Also, I've gained some weight in the past year since moving back to Texas from Wyoming where I walked everywhere due to an unreliable car and a small town. Anyway, so I'm back on Atkins, it's my favorite diet because I lose weight and feel good and I've kept most of what I originally lost on it 3 years ago. Oh, and I like most of the encouraged food and can live without a lot of the discouraged foods. <sigh> I say this, but ate a bag of doritos while working on my term paper this weekend. Stress eating is BAD.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hurray for you LD! Those are some steep hills, whew! Your puppy is adorable.

so I'm back on Atkins, it's my favorite diet because I lose weight and feel good and I've kept most of what I originally lost on it 3 years ago. Oh, and I like most of the encouraged food and can live without a lot of the discouraged foods. <sigh> I say this, but ate a bag of doritos while working on my term paper this weekend.

Ok, ok.... I know y'all are going to get sick of me saying this... but for those of you who LOVE Atkins, (I was one of em!), I think you would REALLY love Core from Weight Wacthers. It's alot like Atkins but guess what.. you could still have the Doritos and it would be OK! ;)

Nikki.... who's lost 78 pounds

Girl Friday

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Ok, ok.... I know y'all are going to get sick of me saying this... but for those of you who LOVE Atkins, (I was one of em!), I think you would REALLY love Core from Weight Wacthers. It's alot like Atkins but guess what.. you could still have the Doritos and it would be OK! ;)
I am with you!

I have been doing Atkin's for about 2 months now, my clothes are fitting better!
That was the main reason for starting, I didn't want to buy new clothes (I can't afford them!)

I also quit my gym (at almost $80 a month, I needed to!) Now I run, which is what I truly wanted to do anyway, and it is free!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Girl Friday said:
I am with you!

I have been doing Atkin's for about 2 months now, my clothes are fitting better!
That was the main reason for starting, I didn't want to buy new clothes (I can't afford them!)

I also quit my gym (at almost $80 a month, I needed to!) Now I run, which is what I truly wanted to do anyway, and it is free!

I can't really afford the gym much either, my sister roped me into signing up and now I'm the only one who goes. <sigh> Thankfully, the gym I go to is only $30 a month, I seriously could not afford $80.

My clothes are also fitting better <yay> it's when my fat pants started to get seriously tighter that I realized it was time to pay more attention to what I was eating.

I noticed upthread someone, sorry can't remember and am lazy, who mention gaining inches when they started exercising. This so happened to me in the abs. I had been working out and really doing a lot with my abs for about a month and was measuring my waist and it had grown by nearly an inch. None of the other measurements were effected, just that one. Anyway, I try to do more cardio to balance the strenth training now.

And Ohaires, I might think of the core program, but I know Atkins and know it works for me, and doesn't WW cost money?

I'm not really THAT upset about falling off Atkins and I can live without Doritos when they aren't in front of me. I was just feeling stressed last weekend and needed an outlet and let me tell you that eating Doritos while on Atkins will make you naseaus(sp?), all those carbs really hit your system when you're not aclimated to them. I'm just happy I'm still losing weight.

Good luck all!!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Weight Watcher's costs a lot if you go to weekly meetings. But you can also just go to one meeting and get your books and learn the program. Also, there are the free message boards at www.weightwatchers.com

Trust me.. is was one of THE biggest Atkins fans until I tried Core.
And I didn't exercise. You can see my pics here if ya want!
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343348698

I had been doing Atkins and just wasn't loosing as much. I thought FOR SURE I would gain my first week on Core because I had eaten carbs.. lots of them.. pizza, pretzels, pasta, baked ruffles chips... But alas, I lost almost 4 pounds that first week!!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183