Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutrition and exercise!

Mojito

One Too Many
Girl Friday said:
I also quit my gym (at almost $80 a month, I needed to!) Now I run, which is what I truly wanted to do anyway, and it is free!
I love running! My favourite form of cardio exercise (unless you're counting horse riding and scuba diving...although they don't really get the cardio thing going). I've just come back from my lunchtime 30 mins / easy 5-6km.

I try to get some strength training in at the gym as well, and flexibility. Unfortunately I'm hyperflexible (I think someone else in this thread mentioned this was also a problem for them?) so have a few biomechanical problems when I run. I overpronate, for example, and have certain muscle imbalances as a result. Weak VMO, alas! Have to work with a podiatrist and physio to overcome it.

I'm still trying to get the balance between working out and not obsessing. When I'm in training, I can do up to 9 sessions / 15 hrs a week. Given the length of my commute to work, it means that I have no life. I can't live with that constantly, so am striving for a decent amount of quality intensive exercise most days of the week plus incidental (walks to and from bus stop, up stairs etc). Trying to keep to a minimum of 4-5 sessions, but not flipping out if I don't do at least 6, is something I'm getting in hand.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Mojito said:
I try to get some strength training in at the gym as well, and flexibility. Unfortunately I'm hyperflexible (I think someone else in this thread mentioned this was also a problem for them?) so have a few biomechanical problems when I run. I overpronate, for example, and have certain muscle imbalances as a result. Weak VMO, alas! Have to work with a podiatrist and physio to odvercome it.

I mentioned being hyperflexible a bit earlier I think. Sucks, doesn't it!? Great for yoga (at least in some ways), bad for pretty much everything else! That's why I'm a little afraid to use work out videos at home, but I try to keep an eye on myself and make sure I'm not locking my knees backwards (I'm double-jointed and that's how I normally stand) or stuff like when I'm exercising.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
pigeon toe said:
I mentioned being hyperflexible a bit earlier I think. Sucks, doesn't it!? Great for yoga (at least in some ways), bad for pretty much everything else! That's why I'm a little afraid to use work out videos at home, but I try to keep an eye on myself and make sure I'm not locking my knees backwards (I'm double-jointed and that's how I normally stand) or stuff like when I'm exercising.

it's weird that both of you mentioned this... my chiropractor advised me to stop doing yoga because i apparently have this problem too - i would think i was just stretching myself, but really i was hurting myself (even though it felt good at the time). she told me that yoga focusing on strength-building would be okay, rather than focusing on flexibility, but i haven't really searched for a new class. i think i'm mostly going to focus onto self-propelled transportation as exercise (A.K.A. RIDING MY BIKE) rather than add on another time obligation/money-sucker.

on the eating side of getting into shape, i'm going to do a raw food stint with one of my housemates, starting in a few days.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Vintage Running?

Here's a great site about 1956 silver medalist Gordon Pirie:
http://www.gordonpirie.com/
A couple of great stories too, you just know those guys were running straight for the pub after for a couple of pints and several cigarettes! (it's what I do after a race :D )

Also, for the runners of the PR this is some awesome stuff, the allure of running injury free using Tai Chi techniques:

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I just got my motivation!!! I am a closet geek, I have to admit it, I love Star Treks, especially The Next Generation. Since I live in Vegas, I dont have to pay a million dollars to fly here and book a room for the huge 20 TNG convention they are having this summer, wasn't sure if I was even gonna go, but I was just checking to see who was booked so far, and my mostestestest favorite, Brent Spiner finially confirmed!! Ok I bable.
Went last year, was so over joyed to meet him and have my pic taken with him, but I hated how big I looked to myself. So, I am going again, and I most loose lose weight and tone up by August 8,9,10. I cant remember which date the photo op day is at this time.
I need motivational help, support, and encouragement here girls!! Please, please, please.!!!
And of course, I want to be dressed vintage, will be deciding which era, guess that will depend on how well fantastically gorgeous I look by then!!

This was last year, left work an hour early to try and get myself prettyful and got stuck in traffic. What sucked was that I wasn't even working that far from the place GGGGGRRR
data.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
That will be a cool goal for you Faythe! But I still think you looked gawwges!

Just make up your mind and DO IT. That's what I told myself to do. I quit making excuses and finally DID what I needed to do. Now that I've just turned 35 and have gotten my weight off FOR GOOD, I can't help but wish I hadn't wasted all my 20's being big.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is the sooner the better, you'll be so glad you did! But you *really* have to WANT it and you *really* have to be ready.

I'm rootin' for ya!! (GIT R DONE!)
Oh BTW, I can cinch to 24 inches in a corset, normal waist is 28 right now.
Nikki

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Yesterday, I finally took the time to register at the fitness center that I get a free membership for through my employer. I have an appointment with a trainer on Monday to get started. Go me!

And go all you ladies getting motivated to be healthier! :eusa_clap

--Leslie

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Congrats on everything ladies!

I'd been losing my motivation for awhile, but I measured myself and have lots an inch and a half off of my hips (I think the actual fat is coming off of my lower tummy) and a half an inch of of my waist. What I really want though is for my inner thighs to get skinnier and my waist, so I'm trying out a new video this weekend.

I can't believe I'm actually finding exercising fun!

anabolina

A-List Customer
pretty faythe said:
I just got my motivation!!! I am a closet geek, I have to admit it, I love Star Treks, especially The Next Generation. Since I live in Vegas, I dont have to pay a million dollars to fly here and book a room for the huge 20 TNG convention they are having this summer, wasn't sure if I was even gonna go, but I was just checking to see who was booked so far, and my mostestestest favorite, Brent Spiner finially confirmed!! Ok I bable.
Went last year, was so over joyed to meet him and have my pic taken with him, but I hated how big I looked to myself. So, I am going again, and I most loose lose weight and tone up by August 8,9,10. I cant remember which date the photo op day is at this time.
I need motivational help, support, and encouragement here girls!! Please, please, please.!!!
And of course, I want to be dressed vintage, will be deciding which era, guess that will depend on how well fantastically gorgeous I look by then!!

This was last year, left work an hour early to try and get myself prettyful and got stuck in traffic. What sucked was that I wasn't even working that far from the place GGGGGRRR
data.jpg

Wow, that is so great that you got a picture with Brent Spiner. I'm also a Trekkie and can totally understand the motivation. Don't worry, you can and will do it :)

I realized something yesterday, a little of something bad can be good, even though having just a little bit of something bad is really hard for me. My wonderful mother brought home a cake yesterday. A rich chocolate cake with fudge frosting and little chocalate kisses on it. She bought it because it was on the clearance rack and she couldn't resist. <sigh> This is the mother who says she wants to lose weight.

Anyway, I lasted 2 hours with that cake seriously calling to me before I caved in and had a smallish piece with some light whipped topping on the side. The first bite was heaven, that was some good cake. I got about 3 quarters done with the cake and realized I was done and had no desire to eat cake, at all. Okay, so I did have some cake, but it completely removed any desire on my part of cake and even the cookies set out be my oh-so-helpful coworkers. Yes, I resisted the bagels of yesterday too. So I've heard about this phenominon(sp), but have experienced it to this extent before. I mean I have no desire for cake whatsoever. I also made it back to the gym for the first time in 2 weeks due to finals. It felt great to workout some more, it also felt great to see that rather sweet young man who's always good for a flirt while mans the desk around the time I leave. ;)

Just felt the need to share.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Anabolina, that's awesome! It reminds me of something I read in "French Women Don't Get Fat" - that it only takes a few bites of something, eaten very slowly and savored, rather than wolfed down in front of the TV, to satisfy a food craving. Myself, I add that it helps if the something is really high-quality. :D

--Leslie

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'm happy to report that i'm getting back on track! the past 2 days have included a ton of bike-riding, and today i took the kid (i'm a nanny) on a lengthy hike as well. i find that when i make a conscious effort to be more active, i eat healthier as well. i know if i'm going to be depending on my bike for transportation i better be fueling myself properly. and when you have to carry everything home from the co-op in your messenger bag, there's no room for ice cream! ;)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
During my pregancy I developed gestational diabetes and hyper tension,so my diet changed dramatically.
Instead of looking at it as a diet and being disappionted I decided to really open myself to the opportunity to learn healthy eating habits.It's been a great education and challenge to break some bad habits,but I was determined.
I am happy to say that through my diligence I am the proud mama of a very healthy baby boy and the bonus is that it's only taken me 2 months to get in even better shape than before I was pregnant.
I still have about 7 pounds to go,but there's light at the end of the tunnel now and I just started working out this week with a hula hoop.(Though my real workout is bending over to pick the hoop back up since I can't keep it up for very long lol )

Girl Friday

Practically Family
rubyredlocks said:
During my pregancy I developed gestational diabetes and hyper tension,so my diet changed dramatically.
My sister-in-law was diagnosed with "Borderline" gestational diabetes, and my nephew weighted 11.8 lbs.!!! :confused:

You are absolutely right, to lose and keep off weight it is really more about a lifestyle change, and that is definately something you have to be ready for.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
rubyredlocks said:
Instead of looking at it as a diet and being disappionted I decided to really open myself to the opportunity to learn healthy eating habits.It's been a great education and challenge to break some bad habits.
that's really the key. i work with caterers all day long, and it's tempting to indulge in all the goodies brought by the office, but i keep some nuts at my desk & some cut-up veggies in the office fridge to snack on...

but, once in a while, one of my officemates (the "sabatuers" as we jokingly call them) will bring in something too hard to resist. lol

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have decided that I am never dieting again. And i am only doing the exercises i like. which include walking, dancing and shooting hoops with my kids.I have a hearty appetite and am married to a chef.Need I go on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou