Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC Hack License question (Golden Era/late Golden Era)

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Hi,

I have my grandfather's Hack License (Taxi License). I know the License was issued sometime between September 1950 and June 1951 as the Police Commissioner named on the License is Thomas Murphy, who served as Police Commissioner for New York City in that brief timeframe. What I am curious about is if anyone knows how long a Hack License lasted for at that time. The license says the expiration date of it was March 31st, 1952. I'm curious if that means it was issued March 31st 1951? Or if it was perhaps issued in mid/late 1950 and March 31st was just the official 'expiration date' for all Hack Licenses?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Beginning in 1922, they expired March 31st of each year, no matter when during the previous year they were issued. The date was stamped on the "Public Hack Driver" badges issued to and worn by all New York cabbies from the 1910s to 1952.

Any idea when it would've been issued, though? I have his badge which looks just like the ones on the site. It has the same expiration as the license does (Marc 31st 1952)...Thank you by the way. I'm just curious if there's anyway of figuring out when it was issued between September 1950 and June 1951.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred