Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYT Article on Bing Crosby, Baseball; Hat Images Included

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Could be anything

They could be Dobbs, Stetson, Cavanaugh, or MacLaughlan. Who will ever know? I bet whatever brand, they were "high end" top of the line.

Notice the suit, coat and tie also? How folks used to "dress up" for a ball game!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Bing was a regular customer of the Cavanagh shop on Park Avenue. It doesn't necessarily mean that he wore Cavanaghs exclusively, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to put my money down that at least one of his hats in the two photos are Cavanagh.

Brad

brienlee

New in Town
Cavanagh Shop

My father, Marty Lee, ran the Park Avenue shop and then the Cavanagh Brand as VP-Sales for many years-- until 1972, in fact. He told many proud tales of fitting Mr. Crosby with the "configurator" gizmo that produced a custom outline of a man's head for sizing. It sure looks like a Cavanagh (in the three-shot, at the top of the article.)

Best,

Brien Lee

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Don't forget that Bing was also an endorser of the Stetson Whippet. Even if he was a regular with other brands, it's likely there were a number of Stetsons in his closet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points