Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ODD STETSON

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
119152128_o.jpg

119152535_o.jpg

119152434_o.jpg

119152223_o.jpg

119152362_o.jpg

119152508_o.jpg

Odd duck, eh?
Has anyone seen something similar?
This is either a Ranger's hat or the hat of the fella' who takes your ticket on the bus, maybe, or something...?
I had never seen one quite like this & had to have it as an oddity, if nothing else. And I should think that the leather band & stampede strap should work on any hat with the proper grommets.
I guess we'll see in 1 - 2 weeks, when it arrives. [huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Very interesting -- and odd. Is that leather tab at the front of the hat? Could it have been used as a place to have a badge, etc.?

Cheers,
JtL

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's canadian made, you can tell from the foil size tag.
Other than that, you've got me. Very odd looking hat.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I think the hat band would have to be a after market add-on. I just can't see a manufacturer putting a hole through the Stetson logo on the sweatband.

AlanC

jimmy the lid said:
Is that leather tab at the front of the hat? Could it have been used as a place to have a badge, etc.?

I figured it was to help you pull the hat off if it gets stuck on your head.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
just a couple of thoughs

1) it is NOT a Federal or State Park Rangers Hat as they use a different style
2) the chin strap appears to be a after thought
3) the hat band appears to be a normal Police Band with the standup piece added
It looks like a "Trooper/Rider Style" ????
What ever it turns out to be, Have Fun ;) ;) ;)

ideaguy

One Too Many
now, if it had lights...
seriously- I wonder if there's been a thread with "unidentifiable hats- or highly unusual hats, work related"? should be more than interesting, could be quite educational in seeing the progression of different vocations-like the old Firemen's hats in Leather from Colonial days- I've had quite a few-they're basically leather top-hats, with the volunteer fire brigade's insignia & number
hand painted on the front. The hats were sewn tight, and sometimes treated to become waterproof, because they were used as fire buckets!! You never see the hats, always the fire buckets, also made of leather with the decorative painting and leather bail handles; these became a favorite of rats, mice, and one of our favorites, mold. The hats lasted even less time, quite a number were lost each fire-and they went to a shorter, non-water holding style.

If you have photos of hats that are unusual and can be tied to a vocation...

Stoney

Practically Family
I think you guys are on the right track with the badge idea. My guess is that this hat belonged to a hall monitor in a Canadian Jr High School. The strap was probably added after the 7th graders kept knocking it off of his head from behind him as they passed.

Whatever it was.. It is a neat find.:eusa_clap

GWD

One Too Many
Stoney said:
I think you guys are on the right track with the badge idea. My guess is that this hat belonged to a hall monitor in a Canadian Jr High School. The strap was probably added after the 7th graders kept knocking it off of his head from behind him as they passed.

Whatever it was.. It is a neat find.:eusa_clap

LOL That 7th grader had a huge head!

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
HUGE HEAD ??????????

GWD said:
LOL That 7th grader had a huge head!

HUGE HEAD" ???????
I will have you know that a 7 & 5/8's is the IDEAL size head.lol lol
How you poor souls manage to get by with those little 1/4's & 3/8's is beyond me.
Plus, there is more FELT..:D

carldelo

One Too Many
Could be costume piece

That hat may have been modified for use in theater or film. Just a thought.
And Tinman is right, us big-headed types just get more felt for our money, er, except when it comes to vintage - then you mini-domes win out.

Rick Blaine

Dinerman said:
It's canadian made, you can tell from the foil size tag.

Most instructive. Thanks for that tidbit, Dinerman. I did not know that. Now that you mention it, that is the first of those I have ever seen as well.

Desdinova721

New in Town
tinmanzzz said:
HUGE HEAD" ???????
I will have you know that a 7 & 5/8's is the IDEAL size head.lol lol
How you poor souls manage to get by with those little 1/4's & 3/8's is beyond me.
Plus, there is more FELT..:D

7 1/2 here. But, cut them some slack. Their tiny skulls restrict the size of their brains, impairing their cognitive function. :p

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I'm gonna wade in here and speculate that this hat is the vintage lid of a professional storm spotter, pre-doppler radar.
They tend to suffer hailstone impacts on the area protected by the leather tab and the chinstrap would be required when caught in the southeastern indraft of a thunderstorm with mesocyclonic characteristics.

Granted, I have no evidence to support this outlandish claim, but I like the notion and I'm stickin' with it.

carldelo

One Too Many
Looking closer at the fifth photo, it looks like someone removed the liner, cut out the Stetson logo and glued it to the crown of the hat, another clue that it's a hatchet job. That and the fact that the chin cord bulges under the sweat band in undignified fashion.

The leather tab could be for mounting an old-style carbide lantern - the perfect hat for "The Gentleman Spelunker" on a journey to the center of the earth (or just a little night fishing).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran