Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world...

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I took a screenwriting class in college & actually read the script before I ever saw the film. It was interesting to sit down & watch it after that. :)

Hope you enjoyed it!

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Wish I'd learned of this sooner. I'd have driven to Memphis to see it. Never been to the Orpheum. The Alabama Theater in Birmingham plays it from time to time, but I don't see it on this years schedule. They usually screen a few noirs per year, some classic horrors in October and Christmas classics in December.

I saw it on the big screen many years ago. Very much worth the effort to see. As are most old movies.

I became a fan of old movies watching them on Sunday afternoon on a (guessing) 20 inch black and white TV in the 1970s. Casablanca was always a standout and one that I consistently loved as I got older and saw new and different things in it. As a kid, I liked the action (for what it was) and the good-guys-beating-evil-Nazis angle. Later on, I came to enjoy the nuanced love triangle and the quiet dignity of Sam. Then, in the mid-1990s, I got a chance to see Casablanca on a movie screen and it popped out like a new movie. Light and shadows were used by the director in ways that never came through on TV; facial expressions and body english appeared that I had never caught before; and the sheer beauty of the black and white film (and Ingrid Bergman's luminescent skin) was striking. Since, I have tried to catch as many old movies on movie screens as I can and am almost never disappointed: the experience is so much better that it is like seeing the movie anew.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Agreed. It's one of my all-time faves, as well. A true classic if there ever was one. I think Claude Rains' character is a riot in that movie. But the characters, the sets, the plots and the lines are all fabulous! My DVD of it gets many a replay throughout the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24