Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Taggert

Familiar Face
I hate to intrude on this sacred Female discussion but I must..

Women in glasses = gorgeous it says hey I am human, and smart enough to realize without them I will probably would walk into things. :D

I go out to a club on Tuesdays and I have never wore my glasses. (I have a mild Astigmatism and am near sighted but wore contacts to the club all the time)

Well this past Tuesday I wore my glasses, and lo and behold was told by many a young lady that I looked quite good in them. Needless to say it lifted my spirits considerably , I am now considering a vintage pair for my next ones.

My point is wear them ladies wear them proud, your eyes are beautiful either au naturale or under glass :D

Jovan

Suspended
I too like women in glasses. And I look good in the thick "nerdy" glasses myself, but I have no vision problems. I'd have to fake it and I'm not sure if that's very becoming. :eusa_doh:

Lolly B

New in Town
I have pretty much abandoned my contacts because to correct my nearsightedness for distance the prescription means I have to wear prescription reading glasses for close up.

If you have ever seen the movie "Office Space", the orange stapler guy with the glasses that made him look like an anime from hell on acid...well that's how I feel the readers make me look. Even though the frames are extremely cute on me, the bug eyes make me :rage:

So I wear my glasses. I celebrate girls in glasses. I say we rule. And yeah, I like the rock the sexy librarian thing. :D

I wish I could afford a whole wardrobe of different frames!

And oh yes indeedy, I love a guy in glasses - especially the slightly nerdy frames on a fine dressed gentleman :eek: sigh

Naama

Practically Family
Jovan said:
I too like women in glasses. And I look good in the thick "nerdy" glasses myself, but I have no vision problems. I'd have to fake it and I'm not sure if that's very becoming. :eusa_doh:

I love guys in nerdy thick glasses ;) I don't know what it is, maybe it's like Miss Monroe describes it in "Some like it Hot", maybe I'm searching for the helpless looking? lol

Naama

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Naama said:
I love guys in nerdy thick glasses ;) I don't know what it is, maybe it's like Miss Monroe describes it in "Some like it Hot", maybe I'm searching for the helpless looking? lol

Naama

me too. Sigh...

glasses look great on men.

Jovan

Suspended
If all goes well, I'll snap up a pair of '50s NOS thick black frames on eBay. As much as I dislike their current policies, they're too good to go to another person who doesn't appreciate vintage as much. :D

Yeah, yeah, I'm a poseur...

Ada Veen

Practically Family
you have to wear them with a smart shirt and tanktop (in the British, not US sense). Geeks are dreamy :)

Joan

New in Town
Lolly B said:
I have pretty much abandoned my contacts because to correct my nearsightedness for distance the prescription means I have to wear prescription reading glasses for close up.
I have multifocal contacts, and they're brilliant. It's like being . . uh . . . 9 years old again. ;) They're 2-week disposables, and the price for a 3-month supply is about the same as for daily disposables. I find I wear my glasses more than I used to, but I never have to wear reading glasses.

My glasses, btw, are progressive multifocal lenses in vintage (antique?) frames. I had no trouble getting that. The frames are metal, that might have something to do with it. But when I picked them up, the optician said he thought it was the coolest thing to put these very modern high-tech lenses in these very old frames.

Candied violets

New in Town
It's funny the variety of emotional reactions people have to glasses. I know there are sayings about them being unflattering and I've seen reference to the idea in many sitcoms and movies but I have always wanted to wear reading glasses. I guess it's how you were first exposed to the idea.

For me it was my wonderful babysitter Kristen. She was so pretty and nice and in high school and I wanted to be just like her. She had reading glasses. I thought they looked so grown-up I couldn't wait till I grew up and got some (same with braces actually). I don't need them yet but now, even twenty-odd years later, that memory still makes me look forward to getting glasses (well except for the expense part >_<).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
Hmph, I never get any attention when I wear my glasses, never. Its like they make me invisible.

Me too! I have these horrible wire frames that I wear to work. I do have contacts, but I rarely wear them to work since staring at the computer all day dries out my eyes. But when I wear my contacts, I find that I get more "looks." :rolleyes:

I did just spend a nice chunk on a pair of lovely new frames - I can't wait to wear them!

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Candied violets said:
It's funny the variety of emotional reactions people have to glasses. I know there are sayings about them being unflattering and I've seen reference to the idea in many sitcoms and movies but I have always wanted to wear reading glasses. I guess it's how you were first exposed to the idea.

For me it was my wonderful babysitter Kristen. She was so pretty and nice and in high school and I wanted to be just like her. She had reading glasses. I thought they looked so grown-up I couldn't wait till I grew up and got some (same with braces actually). I don't need them yet but now, even twenty-odd years later, that memory still makes me look forward to getting glasses (well except for the expense part >_<).

That is such a nice story! I always wanted glasses too, but I actually look horrible in them. They don't suit me. I always liked how the girl who Gwyneth Paltrow's boyfriend has an affair with looked in her glasses in Sliding Doors. I can't find a picture, unfortunately :(

SarahLouise

Practically Family
TheKitschGoth said:
I've got astigmatism too, which means my glasses will always correct my sight better than my contacts will [huh]

Just to let you know that you can get contact lenses specifically for astigmatism. I wear the daily disposable ones since I have sensitive eyes but they are expensive at £40 a month.

I like the look of vintage eyewear and even bought a pair a while back thinking I would get some lenses put in them but I couldn't do it. I had to wear glasses from age 11 to 16 and absolutely hated it, so the thought of wearing them now makes me feel ill. All of the name calling and silly stereotypes comes flooding back. Suffice to say I'll be sticking to my stupidly expensive contacts!

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Ilove all the talk about vintage glasses, but anyone have any visuals? I'd love to get some 40s style specs for Reading, but not sure about the best style. Nothing fancy needed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mary

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sharpsburg said:
Ilove all the talk about vintage glasses, but anyone have any visuals? I'd love to get some 40s style specs for Reading, but not sure about the best style. Nothing fancy needed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mary

Probably the most common types of specs worn in the '40s were the simple steel-wire frame semi-round sort -- such as those seen at this site:

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/20th-century-eyeglasses.html

Also very popular in that era were the rimless and semi-rimless styles. The ones I'm wearing in my avatar pic are a good example of those -- they're the Artcraft "Rimway" style introduced in 1935. Other examples can be seen here:

http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/rimlesssamples.html

An interesting fact about glasses is that most styles were unisex until after the war -- women's specs might have a bit of delicate engraving on the frame, but shape-wise they were usually identical to those worn by men. It wasn't until the late forties/early fifties that the really baroque shapes and styles for women came into fashion.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Vintage Frames

Ooh, another vice of mine-vintage eyeglasses! I have about 7 40's-50's frames with my script in them. I get so many great comments and questions about them. Of course once a strange man walked and said "Wow! Are those real?" and I almost slapped him before I realized I was wearing my deco glasses...oops But if my glasses are getting more attention than my eh hum, well, I'd say give it a try! My optician is great, she can even straighten too short arms so they fit will. (Apparently women had much smaller heads back then) I wear them so much, my classmates anticipate them and have to check out which glasses I'm wearing this week :)

Midgetqueen

New in Town
I have needed corrective lenses since second grade, and have been pretty much unable to wear contact lenses since I was 15 thanks to scar tissue from a corneal ulcer (Yes, that was every bit as painful as it sounds.). Keep your contact lenses very, very clean and don't sleep in them, kids!

At first I thought it was a curse, and I insisted on wearing contact lenses to all 3 proms I went to in spite of the danger of aggravating my eye. But I've since learned to love my glasses and have made them kind of my trademark! My parents have offered me Lasik as a college-graduation present, but I'm not sure I want to take them up on it because my glasses are awesome. My bright-purple pair is my newest, I just acquired a pearl-pink vintage pair and haven't had time to put my prescription in them, my favorite pair is the sea-green rhinestone cat-eyes my stepgrandmother gave me, and then I have a plain ol' wire-rim set that I love for their resiliency. I've had them since 9th or 10th grade and they've endured through many trials including a head-on wreck.

Good grief, if I keep collecting frames, Elton John is gonna have nothin' on me! Let's hear it for four-eyed pride!

64tonya

One of the Regulars
intage Frames

Hi Joan,
That's cool your optician liked them, mine thought I was nuts! He just didn't get that I liked them because they were old :)
Tonya

Emer

One of the Regulars
Ladies with glasses...

I'm looking to replace my super modern square glass with a more vintage style. What do you have? (Pictures are always welcome!) I'm trying to decide between a round pair or a cat's eye pair (or something along those lines). Also--did you buy yours from your eye doctor, online, or from a vintage/antique store/flea market? Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda