Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I am also preparing to get new frames for the first time since I was a sophomore in high school! I am looking at frames similar to the first you posted Lady Day - in gold. I disagree with the early nineties remark. I think they look very classic - in fact they are similar to the frames Jennifer Garner wears in "Pearl Harbor." And if you choose a set that is slightly more round they then look to me like the frames the main female character wears in "The Road to Wellville." I think that a standard gold frame can be worn with so much that you really can't go wrong. I like them Lady Day!

Also, I have never had problems with my metal frames and I have never had anything else. So I hope I don't with my new pair! But I treat my glasses well! The only bad thing that ever happened to them was when I had new lenses put in and the eye doctor I went to at the time broke them for me (and it wasn't even a cheap eye doctor place!) Boy was I fit to be tied!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Picture5.png

Picture6.png

'VINTAGE 40's SHURON RIMLESS,1/10 12KGF,, EYEGLASSES'

$20 for the frames! Whoo hoo!

Im having them made into sunglasses :cool:

LD

I love them. Slightly :eek:fftopic: Can vintage frames be used to fit modern prescription glasses into? I wear -9 ½ or so on both eyes and I have some other vision problems that can't be fixed with surgery so there's no way I can use the frames as a fashion accessory by themselves; I'm practically blind as a bat!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I Dont see why you cant have a modern prescription filled in vintage frames. I have done it quite a few times.

These (frame price included) are gonna cost me a total of $75 to have the sunglass prescription done. Im super excited about the rimless style :D

LD

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lillemor said:
I love them. Slightly :eek:fftopic: Can vintage frames be used to fit modern prescription glasses into? I wear -9 ½ or so on both eyes and I have some other vision problems that can't be fixed with surgery so there's no way I can use the frames as a fashion accessory by themselves; I'm practically blind as a bat!

Yes, you can. Often they will disclaim liability if they break the frames while working on them, but you should be just fine! :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Best to stick to either metal frames or rimless like Lady Days. Then there isn't much likelyhood they'll break, unlike old plastic ones which can be very brittle.

I second Miss Sis. I've learned to stick with vintage metal-framed glasses through trial and error. I once had a plastic tortoise shell pair of glasses break and fall off of my head without even touching them. :eusa_doh:

Lillemor

One Too Many
My current frames have plastic front and metal bars. This is NOT a good design! The weight is at the front so either they slide off my nose or they cut into my ears. So now I've learnt that.:rolleyes: It'll be a few years before I can afford to replace them.

If I buy vintage frames I guess it means I'll have to find a flattering shape in metal or go for retro plastic frames in a modern plastic that's designed to hold modern prescription glasses. Last summer I just couldn't find any cat eye frames in Synoptik. I see that shape on a lot of people now. Ritt Bjerregaard wears some green ones in what I think are titanium. I actually like her glasses. She probably has more money to spend than me and therefor shops in places with a wider selection.

With -9½ or so on both eyes, half frames aren't an option I was told.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
PICTURE of my 1940s eyeglasses

I had found these frames from Allyn Scura at the S.F. Vintage Fashion Expo March 21, having brought along a copy of my prescription with me to the show. The box was waiting for me on our door step last night when we got back from our church's Good Friday services. Sorry for not getting the pic up until now. These are by American Optical.

This has been a great thread to read, though it would certainly include gents too so I don't understand why its relegated to the Powder Room...

I've tried contacts hard, soft, and disposable over the years, but never really got used to them. I have astigmatism (very heavy astig in one eye especially) besides being near sighted. And I now have bifocal too. Even with contacts I would have still needed reading glasses of course. Even if I could have lasik surgery done, I'd still need reading glasses- so I ditched that idea.

With the contracts, I lose my closeup vision to be able for the contacts to correct the distance part- so I figured the trade off wasn't worth it . Also the long initial wear time to get used to the contacts now doesn't work with my busy and active lifestyle. They also said to have the contacts in first then put on my makeup- that's hard with my schedule. For putting on makeup I had to keep going back and forth with a magnifying mirror and/or glasses. a drag....

I love these vintage glasses, quite a few people in the Art Deco Society wear vintage eyeglasses. I had these made with the progressive lenses. My modern glasses have the lines, that is why up until now you've seen me looking a little bug-eyed in my photos- I've had my glasses off and couldn't see!

In this pic I'm wearing a 40s vintage tilt hat, the clip earring and matching necklace are also vintage. I put my hair put creating faux rolls with combs, an okay solution until I can get the hair-do figured out better.
361109762.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My glasses arrived a few weeks ago. Here they are.

0071_f.jpg

plasticframes.jpg
plasticframes2.jpg

And the other pair. The frames are gold with the turtle look around the lenses.

0174_f.jpg
roundframes.jpg

I also got a 'hipster' pair of frames. Super modern, but I though they were cute.

hipsterframes.jpg

Im waiting on two more pairs, and a pair and 40s sunglasses. I guess glasses are like shoes to me :)

LD

Lillemor

One Too Many
The turtle pair looks very similar to the best frames I ever owned. The hispter pair looks similar to the ones I'm wearing now but I'm just not finding them comfortable. Probably a design flaw in mine or nose and ear design flaw.:(

Goldfish

A-List Customer
I'm shortsighted and want to get myself a pair of new glasses.

Here are pictures of me over the years... My face is oval to round shapes, my hair color is the ashy blonde / brunette you see in the first&last pic and I have dark, prominent eyebrows.

20k4nwl.jpg

(on the left)

2gwer8z.jpg
2chm24z.jpg

29zr47t.jpg
6q8gg7.jpg

Do you think cateye glasses like this would suit me?

o6fss3.jpg
34ye2ja.jpg

Any other suggestions? More angular shapes? I would really appreciate your thoughts :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Goldfish said:

I loove these! I am on the look out for a new pair aswell, can I ask where they are from?

I think since there is so many types of cateye glasses I think most women can find a pair that suits them (if they like the style of course).

Goldfish

A-List Customer
No, sorry, I tried to find out but no luck!

The chance of finding cateye/vintage shaped glasses in my area is tiny to nonexistent. Guess I have to find an online retailer with good conditions on returns [huh].

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
glasses

Don't we have a thread about glasses somewhere? I couldn't find it.
It's time to get new glasses and I'm thinking about going with vintage frames this time. I came across a site that sell vintage NOS frames. Has anybody bought from them? Do vintage frames hold up under daily wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner