Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Kim_B

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I guess I'm the odd person out. I'm sorry, but I don't think the frames flatter your face, Zaika. They're a little too much like your face shape.

Kim B, I think your glasses really suit you. :) Too bad they don't fit well!

Thank you, Paisley!

$ally said:
I love those frames and I'm very jealous of your hair in that picture. I'd like a pair cateyes with a more oblong shape than mine. I wonder if I could get pres lenses in my cateye sunglasses?

Thanks! I don't see why you couldn't...I had these made into prescription glasses at one of those "while-you-wait" places. They did a wonderful job, I think, and were very interested in my selection. :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'll try to post a picture of my 1950's carved pair tonight--maybe I'm wrong and they aren't too big for my face (I doubt it, but a girl can hope...).

After trying on a couple pair I'm seriously considering getting a pair of pince nez. The ladies version sometimes came with a detachable hair pin on a chain to act as sort of a "safety chain". I'd love to get a pair with colored lenses too--very steampunkish.

2106-16-7.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
After trying on a couple pair I'm seriously considering getting a pair of pince nez. The ladies version sometimes came with a detachable hair pin on a chain to act as sort of a "safety chain". I'd love to get a pair with colored lenses too--very steampunkish.
I've considered that too. They look cool, but I'd be concerned they wouldn't stay put outside of work.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*merged threads*

Its becoming a second glasses thread, and I oh so like the title of this thread :rolleyes: Plus there are tons of resources, pics and gals wearing their vintage glasses in this one too, enjoy!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I'll try to post a picture of my 1950's carved pair tonight--maybe I'm wrong and they aren't too big for my face (I doubt it, but a girl can hope...).

2106-16-7.jpg

Those are SO you IOF!!!!

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Those are SO you IOF!!!!

LD

Thanks for the vote LD!

Thanks for merging the threads too, it's fun to read about all the glasses stories. I think I got my first pair around 8 years old--gold wire rims because I wanted to look like Mary Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie. A hideous, gigantic pair of red framed specs in high school--my mother thought they'd brighten up my face since I didn't wear much makeup.

I should never listen to my mother.

I've busted 3 pair in the past couple of months so I need a new pair when I can scrape some do re mi together.

:eek:fftopic:

Your tagline has had me singing that song all day! I remembered nearly all the lyrics on my own after 31 years; "It's a star...So Janet got an autograph!"

By the by, you've made your move to LA haven't you? How'd it go?

$ally

One Too Many
Oooh, thank you for merging.
These are my daily pair at the moment:
629762936_3c6fc4dc47.jpg
I like the little rhinestones at the sides. The arms are double wire with a blue & gold deco design. Here are a few others, none of which have the correct lenses for me right now:
2144384383_20c4582f24.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Here's the pair of glasses I bought last year shown in a series of quick photographs. So, what do you think girls? Are the frames too big for my face? Is the black too stark?

ff.jpg

fsid.jpg

gf.jpg

gs.jpg

gb.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
square frames for sale

There are lots of websites with tips about finding frames that flatter ones face shape. Taking an abrupt friend along shopping is always the best bet for me though. Small oblong cat eyes are very becoming to me, but I have a really cool pair of square frames that look just hideous on me. Trial and error for me I'm afraid. Some of you gals can just wear whatever you want.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your opinions, girls--I'll get some prescription lenses next year. I think they look better when I see them in the photographs then when I see them in the mirror. I'll keep my eyes open for some pince-nez too.

As a side note, whoever owned these in the past had a pretty funky prescription--looking through those lenses makes me dizzy!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
IMO,

I like -both-...but for everyday wear..I tend toward liking more blend in with face and wardrobe glasses...so the more wire framed ones for that...but nothing says you cant also have -fun- glasses to wear out and about.

My glasses are a more wire rimmed style, even though I wear contacts. I wear the glasses on my week off contacts. I wear contacts that I leave in for a month at a time...so I stretch my year of contacts into much longer then that by wearing glasses for a week between each set.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your thoughts Neecerie--these frames are fairly dramatic. I usually have 2 or 3 pair of glasses that I switch between, so I wouldn't be wearing these all the time. I think they're fun though.

Has anyone ever ordered replacement lenses online? There's a couple places that look intriguing.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
imoldfashioned said:
Here's the pair of glasses I bought last year shown in a series of quick photographs. So, what do you think...
ff.jpg

If I could write the beauty of your eyes...
The age to come would say, "This poet lies;
Such heavenly touches ne'er touched earthly faces."

Shakespeare
:)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Harp said:
If I could write the beauty of your eyes...
The age to come would say, "This poet lies;
Such heavenly touches ne'er touched earthly faces."

Shakespeare
:)

Humbly, sir, I thank you.

Shakespeare;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles