Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I'm trying to overcome my lifelong shyness about wearing glasses, so I put it in my avatar :eeek:

Rue, your looking very pretty. And how brave of you to put it in your avatar.. Good on you!
happy-smiley-541.gif

Here is a little staying my best m8's Mum used to say: Heres to those who love us and to hell with those that dont! :D

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I'd love to see your glasses. I am trying to find a vintage or modern pair with more of a 1930's look.

Jolly, that was a mission! I don't often wear them with my vintage stuff and to find a pic of me wearing them - well, I just had to have a real trawl... they aren't great but I hope they help.

The first two in the 20s/30s fine gold rim pair. They aren't at all 'fashionable'. If anything they are probably quite old fashioned, even for then! First pic in 30s guise. Second pic I am doing a WW2 impression of a secretary c.1944 - again, being a bit old fashioned! The light is reflecting off one of the lenses.
Throughthewindow2.jpg
2677053620013830683BydkFq_ph2.jpg

And my 40s pair where I was being the village school teacher. These are very typical British 1940s. I don't wear them much because they are actually quite uncomfortable on the bridge of the nose and behind the ears, something to be aware of when you try on frames.
COAM2007Pic2.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
It figures that the 40's pair would be uncomfortable as I like them best. I think I may be able to pull of that style. Thanks so much for posting the pics. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That '40s pair is very similar to the American "P-3" Ful-Vue style, which was standard GI issue during the war, and has been around in one form or another since the early '30s. It's usually found in all-gold rims, but there were also variations in tortoiseshell.

I wore a single pair of American Optical P-3s for almost 20 years before I got my current specs, and the main issue was that the flexible wire earpieces would wear out every five years or so. It's a standard part, though, and is easily replaced by any optician. Otherwise, they're indestructible.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lizzie, they are popularly refered to in England as 'National Health' specs - although that was obviously a Post War development. They basically did more or less one sort of glasses on the National Health Service - whether they suited/fitted you or not!

My BF calls my earlier glasses my Granny specs and says I suit the 40s ones better, but it is those dratted wires you mention that stick in behind my ear no matter how the optometrist tried to ease them out. Oh, and the little nose pads are killers. Strange as I have a very narrow bridge to my nose. I get a really bad headache if I wear them for more than an hour or so, wheres the earlier ones leave a mark across the bridge but don't hurt.

As Rue says, we must suffer for our 'art'! DPD, you may find them fine, just it is best to try them on for size, I think.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
" Men seldom make passes / At girls who wear glasses "

ST4074.jpg

Totally do not agree with that comment.

I think men and women who wear glasses are just as attractive as people who dont wear glasses. I wear glasses and have done since I was ten. I used to get quite down about wearing them when I was in my teens but now I couldn't care less. Im still the same person with or without them.

Its not a comment, its a quote by Dorothy Parker, a US humorist from the 1930s. Pairing that with the pic of Miss Monroe, considered by many to be the most beautiful women of her era, wearing a pair of specs...

Ya gotta get the joke! lol

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My BF calls my earlier glasses my Granny specs and says I suit the 40s ones better, but it is those dratted wires you mention that stick in behind my ear no matter how the optometrist tried to ease them out. Oh, and the little nose pads are killers.

I can sympathize. I got my old P-3s in the days of real glass lenses, and my prescription is very strong, so they weighed a ton. I had a perpetual crease behind my ears and perpetual dents in the side of my nose. Thing was, because my lenses were so heavy, these were the *only* types of glasses that would stay in place without sliding down, and I just had to deal with it.

The trick in the Golden Era was to use rubber or cork sheaths that slid over the ends of the earpieces and cushioned the pressure, but those don't seem to be made by anyone anymore, and if anyone wants to go into the business of reproducing them I'd happily buy a pair. My current specs -- semi-rimless "Rimways" circa 1935 -- are nowhere near as heavy as the old ones because I have polycarbonate lenses. But they still have the wire earpieces, and they still rub.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Miss Sis, you always look amazing! Love the last shot. Did Gordon take that one?

I don't like the way I look in wire frame glasses- they make me look very grannyish. But I was looking through a 1944 Harpers Bazaar last night and I saw an ad for cat eye shaped glasses that looked like plastic. That's the earliest I've seen of that style to my recollection. I think they were called Harlequins or something along those lines. Kinda neat!

*edit to add*- found a very similar ad from 1945 on Ebay so you can see what I mean.

Last edited:

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
The trick in the Golden Era was to use rubber or cork sheaths that slid over the ends of the earpieces and cushioned the pressure, but those don't seem to be made by anyone anymore, and if anyone wants to go into the business of reproducing them I'd happily buy a pair. My current specs -- semi-rimless "Rimways" circa 1935 -- are nowhere near as heavy as the old ones because I have polycarbonate lenses. But they still have the wire earpieces, and they still rub.

Do you think some of these by Oakley might work? They're not terribly expensive, it could be worth a shot. I wear Oakley frames and I was so relieved that you could get replacement temple sleeves because my parrots seem to think they make great chew toys. Usually while still on my head!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
But I was looking through a 1944 Harpers Bazaar last night and I saw an ad for cat eye shaped glasses that looked like plastic. That's the earliest I've seen of that style to my recollection. I think they were called Harlequins or something along those lines. Kinda neat!

*edit to add*- found a very similar ad from 1945 on Ebay so you can see what I mean.
Wow! I didn't know they existed then!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails