Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
gurmom.jpg

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I'm so glad I've found this. I've been wondering about what frames I'll get when it's time to get my eyes checked again, and this thread helps give me ideas and places to look. I think I've got an old pair of my mother's cat eye frames somewhere too - gonna have to dig them out and see how they fit on me.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing cat eyes since I was at least 21. I want a more 30's or 40's style but they don't look very good on me. I am not sure what my next pair will be.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I don't wear glasses but I wish I did. I have a pair of modern cat-eye reading glasses that I am so in love with I'm actually keeping them until the day I need "real" ones, so hopefully I can get my prescription put into the frames. I can't find them right now and it's driving me insane!
39210_430685757995_514012995_4768764_7121104_n.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
I don't wear glasses but I wish I did. I have a pair of modern cat-eye reading glasses that I am so in love with I'm actually keeping them until the day I need "real" ones, so hopefully I can get my prescription put into the frames.

You look lovely in those glasses, Penny. Why not get clear, non-prescription "demonstrator" lenses for them and wear them now?

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Thank you for posting, Penny Dreadful, those are very cute. I think need to look through some photos of 40s-style frames to see just how close I can get with a modern pair. I'm very nearsighted so that limits my frame selections too due to thickness of lens.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
You look lovely in those glasses, Penny. Why not get clear, non-prescription "demonstrator" lenses for them and wear them now?

I probably should. I bought them when I was working at a computer and my eyes were getting so strained I sometimes needed them, but I haven't worn them too often. I LOVE them as an accessory. If I don't need reading glasses once I get a new job then it will definitely be a consideration!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
These are my glasses; they were actually Ray Ban sunglasses, but I got my prescription put in:

They are more like 1960s men's glasses, which I like, though they are a bit clunky. This thread has convinced me my next pair needs to be some vintage cat's eyes!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to break into the PR! I have always been attracted to ladies with glasses! Velma (Scooby-Do) was my girl of choice over Daphne. [huh] Glasses have always been a powerful draw for me.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I loved my glasses and I miss them so much since I had my eyes lasered. I got the optician to put prescription free lenses in my old frames as my Bf really liked them on me!

Glasses are so pretty...

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Do you guys have any experience of putting prescription lenses in vintage plastic frames? All advice is against it, since they might just break. I do have a pair of modern cat eye frames, that I found in a charity shop (with demonstrator lenses in), they're originally from Jigsaw of all places! Here they are in fact (they're actually brown, not black, with rhinestone and silver accents).

medarkhair.jpg

But I am drawn to the idea of getting real vintage frames. Has anyone bought from Dead Man's Spex? What are their prescription lenses like? Normally I like to add things like non-reflective treatments etc, and they don't offer it... on the other hand, their lenses are £25!!

HelloJodi

New in Town
I just bought these from zennioptical.com:

4839-21_.jpg

They're item #483921, $36.

They fit me quite nicely, I think!

glasses%20001.jpg

Also picked up a pair of horn rims, which required lots of measuring. Most are too large of a scale for a female face, I think.

glasses%20002.jpg

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
" Men seldom make passes / At girls who wear glasses "

ST4074.jpg

Totally do not agree with that comment.

I think men and women who wear glasses are just as attractive as people who dont wear glasses. I wear glasses and have done since I was ten. I used to get quite down about wearing them when I was in my teens but now I couldn't care less. Im still the same person with or without them.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I bought some glasses frames from Dead Man's Spex but I didn't get him to put the lenses in as I wanted period flat glass rather than plastic lenses. I find the best thing is to take them to an independant optometrist as they are more likely to have to set up to do the work you want. Big chains won't touch old frames with a barge pole!

The frames I bought were metal though, not plastic, probably 1920s/30s. I have taken an old 1940s plastic type pair in and they said there is a high risk of them breaking as they have to heat them to get the lenses in. It's up to you if you want to take the risk, but they recommended I have another metal pair done instead. Seems the plastic loses alot of it's strength over time and it becomes brittle.

It's funny, I am a glasses wearer but I don't think I've ever been in this thread. I admit sometimes I just bumble about without them and the BF has to read things to me when we're out and about! Funny as he is also a glasses wearer but we have our 'blind leading the blind' moments! lol.

Last edited:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I bought some glasses frames from Dead Man's Spex but I didn't get him to put the lenses in as I wanted period flat glass rather than plastic lenses. I find the best thing is to take them to an independant optometrist as they are more likely to have to set up to do the work you want. Big chains won't touch old frames with a barge pole!

The frames I bought were metal though, not plastic, probably 1920s/30s. I have taken an old 1940s plastic type pair in and they said there is a high risk of them breaking as they have to heat them to get the lenses in. It's up to you if you want to take the risk, but they recommended I have another metal pair done instead. Seems the plastic loses alot of it's strength over time and it becomes brittle.

It's funny, I am a glasses wearer but I don't think I've ever been in this thread. I admit sometimes I just bumble about without them and the BF has to read things to me when we're out and about! Funny as he is also a glasses wearer but we have our 'blind leading the blind' moments! lol.
I'd love to see your glasses. I am trying to find a vintage or modern pair with more of a 1930's look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo