Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
THanks everyone. Yeah, I too was leaning toward the second pair as well. O like the oval shape of the lenses more than the first pair.

Thanks ladies :)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Definitely the second pair -- that's a very nice shape for you, too!

I just ordered new specs myself -- and having dodged the expensive bifocal bullet for another year, I'm going *rimless.* "Art-Bilt Rimways," circa 1935, to be exact. I had a pair of their frames I wore for fifteen years before finally retiring them, so I think it's a good investment!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Definitely the second pair -- that's a very nice shape for you, too!

I just ordered new specs myself -- and having dodged the expensive bifocal bullet for another year, I'm going *rimless.* "Art-Bilt Rimways," circa 1935, to be exact. I had a pair of their frames I wore for fifteen years before finally retiring them, so I think it's a good investment!

Will we see pics? :rolleyes:

LD

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Lady Day-

They both have their merits! The first pair is adorable, but seems a bit more casual. The second pair is very polished and a bit dressier. Can you have them both?? They look lovely on you.

Cheers!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Kinda like this, only with me wearing them...

rimway.jpg

A very minimalist frame, but I'm feeling pretty minimalist these days.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Specs made of wood, or records!!

Hi all,

There is a neat-o guy in Chicago who makes spectacles out of wood, and records too. He also does custom work ($$$-$$$$), and makes things in many, many styles including vintage styles. (A gent in the T.S. Eliot style, wood, round frames would be *dead fetching*!) If anyone is in the area, I highly recommend checking them out! His pre-made frames are about the same in cost as a new pair of designer frames.

http://www.urbanspectacles.com/

Cheers!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Kinda like this, only with me wearing them...

rimway.jpg

A very minimalist frame, but I'm feeling pretty minimalist these days.

Nice, clean and practical. Lovely. So the next pic will be you in them, right? ;)

LD

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Courage

I got the courage to wear my 'new' glasses`last night to a friends house. They didn't really cotton on to what I was doing as they said - oh they're so 50's! Anyway, Hubby hasn't seen me in them yet and I'm dreading it when he does as I know he won't like it. I am going to put makeup on and take a picture of me wearing them so I can post it. I like them but I am aware they are very 'loud' in style - didn't have a lot of choice! Hubby has already threatened to call me 'Edna' or 'Betty' anyway! :rolleyes:

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Aargh...........

He really hates them - we had a big bust up about them yesterday and I have had to fib about the price of the lenses - I have currently had to agree that I don't wear them when we go out. He went mad with me about the 'waste of money' -haven't asked him to take pictures yet! :rolleyes: :eek:

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry to hear that, Eleanor Marie! I don't think my guy is particularly fond of my specs either...I used to wear contacts all the time. Now that I'm wearing my glasses, I feel as though he doesn't look at me the same way! [huh]

I'm thinking of getting even more extreme stylish frames next time around. I hope he likes them but I've got a feeling he won't...

Well, if you do end up taking pictures I for one would love to see them - I'm sure they are fabulous. :)

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Finally!!!

I got some time to take pictures of me wearing the controversial glasses. Hubby was out so it was arms length ones and they aren't great but the best I can do folks!
P2180003.jpg

P2180002.jpg

pretty faythe

One Too Many
In high school I wore glasses, to straighten out my one far sighted one near sighted eys. They corrected after a few years. Had my senior pic with them on, and I look at it now and I'm like, oooohhhh the cheesiness of the early 90s frames. Had to get glassess again about a year and a half ago for eye strain (working at computer too long or reading too long) and now my 13 1/2year old wants to still them. These frames are along the lines of the frames lady day has in her avitar. I think how we are percieved in them goes along with who is doing the looking. My children think I look really mean in them, yet like I said, the 13 1/2 year old wants them for herself, cuz she looks "kewl" in them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Eleanor Marie said:
I got some time to take pictures of me wearing the controversial glasses. Hubby was out so it was arms length ones and they aren't great but the best I can do folks!
P2180002.jpg

PRECIOUS!! :eusa_clap

Wha-why he no likie!? Those are adorable and look supercute on you!

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Eleanor, those fit your face just fine. Your hubby needs his own eyes examined -- set him up in a sharp pair of horn rims!

Here's my new specs -- still getting used to them. Pardon the dark circles -- I was up late last night!

lizzie218.jpg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I just won not one but two pairs of NOS frames, which are identical apart from the colour, but I was greedy and couldn't decide which I liked best. Lucky me after losing about 7 auctions in a row!

c839_1.JPG

e197_1.JPG

Oooh I can't wait to get them!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I like them!

Eleanor Marie,
I think you look cuter with your glasses than without! They are so unique and seem very suited to your face. Would you call them a 50s style? They look like some my mom used to wear. There are so many choices of eyewear out there than there used to be. I've worn glasses since the 3rd grade too and about 12 years ago, the eye dr. said I'd never be able to wear contacts again. My eyes reacted to all the different types of lenses. So, I've been wearing glasses again ever since. (even though in my avatar, I'm not wearing them, don't let it fool you. I'm legally blind without them. :p )
Don't let people discourage you from wearing glasses that you like. I'm sure in time your hubby will get used to them. You can tell him that a lot of people here on the FL like them and a lot of them wear glasses with similar frames.

LizzieMaine, your new glasses are cute too! My hubby has a similar styled frame that he wears "for good". I had a pair of rimless ones too, but they fell apart and I replaced them with wire frames. I guess they're kind of fragile, and I was so careful with them. I blame it on poor quality and workmanship.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Thanks!

Thanks girls for the compliments. He is resoloute though! Fleur - love those frames - they are more the original style I wanted but a girl can't get too choosy!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Girls Who Wear Glasses

Wow so I totally apologize for the non vintage looking pic of me. I don't know what came over me!

l_0e19236c46dd6a05ca2ddd9557bf6d30.jpg

I just got these Thursday. They are Sigrid Olsens. My insurance covers glasses (luckily) so I picked out these frames which had a vintage feel to 'em. Regular cat eyes make me look ridiculous. I must say I am envious of you ladies who wear them well. :D

P.S. - Thanks LD I looked for one but didn't do as well as you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy