Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh, the Stigma of an Astigmatism. . .

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My daughter just got her glassess, they are a cat eye type (they look better on her with her face shape and angles) they are made by juicy couture. Got them from the eye doctor, VSP
0073.jpg

Oh my, I just went to look for a pic of them, the darn eye dr charged a heck more for them then this site did! Thank goodness for insurance lol
here they are, and the following site
juicy.jpg

http://www.alldesignerglasses.com/Catalog/ID100278.html

Emer said:
I'm looking to replace my super modern square glass with a more vintage style. What do you have? (Pictures are always welcome!) I'm trying to decide between a round pair or a cat's eye pair (or something along those lines). Also--did you buy yours from your eye doctor, online, or from a vintage/antique store/flea market? Thank you!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
So...I am now going to be decidedly more vintage until I can save up the $ to visit eye dr. and get another years supply of contacts.....

granted...my specs aren't vintage but just plain silverish frames....

Just don't be upset if I no longer see you out of the corner of my eye ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mrs. Merl said:
Aww, I have been there for months now! I never thought of it as being more vintage! :) Now I feel so much cooler than before!

hehe technically me too.....I used a pair in november to get through QM weekend stuff....

I figure work does not care if I am cute....it's engineers....but darned if the '-got yet another smear on lenses isnt killing -me-'

I have -a- pair left.....saving it for a rainy special day....

And since my vision is 20/400....not wearing correction pretty much puts my into the 'blind as a bat or other small sightless animal' category....I have had to move my shampoo to one corner of shower and conditioner and then body wash to separate corners...so I can memorize which one is where...in my blurry showers.

I shall attempt to take a picture of my geek-girlness soon. ;)

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Me too! I have been saving my last pair for snow time - I can't ski without correction and I am not set up to ski with glasses!

I also do the same thing in the shower shampoo and conditioner MUST be in the same order!! My husband hates it when I mix it up after cleaning...

And smears are getting the best of me too. I think I have changed my prescription from wearing down the lenses with all the rubbing!

I love to see people in their glasses - I think a lot of people look so great in glasses. So let's see the geek-girlness!!

Esme

One of the Regulars
New cat's eye glasses (been driving blind!)

Now that I find out I have been driving with a prescription that was probably ground wrong and my vision was corrected to something that essentially made me legally blind(!!) I have ordered some new glasses.
I can't find a picture to post, but he is the web page - http://www.laeyeworks.com/catalogFrames/frame.php?m=ECHO PARK&c=PLASTIC
I have had them send me the blond tortoishell frames over from Sydney, because the ones they had seemed to dark.
When they come in, I will do my hair and makeup and take some pics. I need a new avatar anyway.
What do you all think?
I love 'em!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Those are very cute! I've bookmarked them and hope I can get them at my local shop! I'll be getting new glasses sometime this year. I think my current pair are about 3 years old and I think I need a stronger script.

Esme

One of the Regulars
They are from the US, so you should be able to get them.
Come in several different colors.
They had the cutest blue cat's eyes that I would have jumped on if I was a blonde. I think Marilyn Monroe wore some like them in - hmm was it Some Like it Hot? Maybe How to Marry a Millionaire? I can't remember, but sooo nice.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looking at new glasses....
Whenever I get new glasses, I get something completely different from what Ive had.

These are metal, which I am leaning towards. They are also more 'classic' looking and will blend with my 30s looks.
0174_f.jpg

or

These are more feminine, but plastic (the arms are metal), and seem to have a later feel vintage wise.
0071_f.jpg

Opinions? :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD, how rough are you on your glasses? I find that plastic survives better for me. I always regret getting metal glasses within 6 months of use.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The second pair has a sort of late-forties feel -- very elegant. Are they transparent or silvery colored? It's hard to tell.

Agreed with Kamikat's comments on durability -- the only metal frames that ever lasted for me were the old Artcraft P3 unisex style. Most modern designer frames use a very delicate solder joint at the bridge, and if you put on and take off your specs a lot, it'll eventually break. On the other hand, plastic can be delicate too, if you're subject to temperature extremes -- but hopefully you're not going to be dipping below zero anytime soon!

maybelaughter

Familiar Face
ooh, Lady Day, i really like the second pair!

i really need to get my eyes checked again, it's been 6/7 years, and i'm fairly sure it's time for bifocals all the time instead of just reading glasses.... (besides, i never remember to wear my reading glasses.....)

do bifocals have to have a certain height of frame? i've found a few pairs online i halfway liked, but i don't want to order any in case i do need bifocals. i need updated reading glasses anyway, but just in case...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the comments ladies.
Im fairly good with my glasses, I have a pair of metal frames Ive have for on 8 years that with a new prescription about 18 months ago are my regular specks again. The thing is, Im getting brake outs around my temples, and I see the paint around the arms has worn off, so that may be it.

I like the second pair too, but I think the first pair may be more versatile?

The second pair are clear plastic.

Keep the opinions commin' ladies! :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
To my eye, the clear plastic is more versatile. The metal frames scream early 1990's to me and looked dated, not in a good way. I wore glasses like that from about 1988-1996. The clear plastic ones would look good with vintage wear as well as modern wear.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Aw early 90s! :eusa_doh: I found the frames in gold, so I got those instead. I got both, I couldnt decide. They were a great price so I couldnt pass them up :rolleyes:

Ill let you all know how this turns out :)

LD

Lillemor

One Too Many
I like the bottom pair but I worry that they may present the same problem as the ones I have now which are plastic at the front and metal sides like the ones in the photo and the plastic front is heavier than the metal pieces that go over and behind my ears so I get cuts behind my ears and have to keep adjusting them.:(

I'm hoping it's just an issue with my glasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR