Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Bubble Cheeks said:
Thank you so much. :) You are right... I should have read through all of the pages before asking. Going to go do that right now, and start trying oil cleansing asap! Thanks again!

Start with maybe 1/2 castor oil. You maybe have to adjust to less if it dries out your skin too much. I think you'll like OCM though - it should help make your pores look smaller.

One thing I will say, that is a HUGE advantage to having oily skin.... oily skin doesn't wrinkle over time the way that normal or dry skin do. This is one of the reasons many older black ladies look so much younger than they are! So it's not all bad :)

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
So I finnaly found Jajoba oil... it was a missioN! lol

And I used it last night (just a tiny bit.. cause the lady told me alittle goes a long way) as a moisturizer.. and this morning.. i woke up with such soft skin I had to wake my roomate up to make her feel it! lol

Im thinking of using the jajoba for about a week.. and then mabey adding Grapeseed to it and mabey rose hip oil.. just to see how my face will react..
what do u ladies think.. ?
Im super wierd about my skin.. cause its so sensitive and can have bad reactions to things.. so i think i should try adding other oils one at a time to allow my face to adjust

All the stuff you ladies posted has helped soo much and I cant wait to see how this all works out!

Ohhh! I put the jajoba oil on before going into the shower last night .. and WOW.. my face was lovin it :D :D

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Thinking of trying this but...

I have broken capillaries, some of which have worsened over the past year. Is it advisable to steam my face with broken capillaries? I don't have rosacea or oily skin, just a broken capillaries and all of the usual not-so-lovely skin issues like blackheads.

I use Ponds cold cream, but I'm thinking either the ceresin or beeswax (both are waxes) might be the pore-clogging offender. I'd love for OCM to work. [Sigh] It would be nice to have lovely skin again.

I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread, but I'll try to do that tonight.

Smuterella

One Too Many
get a Brit girl to ship you some Boots cold cream. its a million times better than ponds.

don't steam with broken capillaries, it makes mine worse certainly.

i also found OCM smelt bad. my once a week cleaned flannel, my pillow, my face smelt rancid. and it did nothing for my blocked pores

but everyone is different.

Josephine

One Too Many
live vintageous said:
I have broken capillaries, some of which have worsened over the past year. Is it advisable to steam my face with broken capillaries?

You don't need to steam your face w/ OCM, just use the hottest/warmest water you can to wipe off the oil.

Smuterella said:
i also found OCM smelt bad. my once a week cleaned flannel, my pillow, my face smelt rancid. and it did nothing for my blocked pores

I use a washcloth (cheap Target bundle) once, let it dry out on the towel rack, then use another the next day. When I have a bunch I wash them in hot water with bleach and dry on hot too, or dry them in the sun if the day warrants it.

Josephine

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
Has anyone tried Flax Seed Oil in the OCM mix?

I'm still a bit confused as to what oils you can use as the actual "cleansing" oils as opposed to the moisturizing oils. :confused:

The cleansing oils and the moisturizing oils can be the same. You just don't want to moisturize with Castor. Use jojoba, or almond oil to moisturize. I use jojoba, sweet almond, rose hip or Vit E, Helichrysum italicum EO , and Clary Sage EO to clean with, and a mix of shea butter and coconut oil to moisturize.

There should be a post in this thread that list different mixtures for different skin types, check that out and see which one matches your skin.

Tatum

Practically Family
Josephine said:
You don't need to steam your face w/ OCM, just use teh hottest/warmest water you can to wipe off the oil.

Live Vintageous, I have lots of broken capillaries in my cheeks, and using the cloth to steam hasn't irritated them one bit. I only leave it on until it gets cool, usually a minute, and my cloths are somewhat thin. I also splash cold water afterwards.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Live Vintageous, I have lots of broken capillaries in my cheeks, and using the cloth to steam hasn't irritated them one bit. I only leave it on until it gets cool, usually a minute, and my cloths are somewhat thin. I also splash cold water afterwards.

Me too! I hate them!

I have found that OCM has improved mine over time - because Im not using harsh cleansers, I dont go bright red/pink in these areas anymore!

My skin is loving it!

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Smuterella said:
get a Brit girl to ship you some Boots cold cream. its a million times better than ponds.
I'll keep that in mind if OCM ends up making my face a dismayal mess.

Smuterella said:
don't steam with broken capillaries, it makes mine worse certainly.

I tried OCM last night and liked the results. I'm using lukewarm-ish water and so far, so good. I also try to be gentle with the massaging. No deep tissue rubbing ;) I'll let you know how it goes.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
OCM success so far

RitaHayworth said:
Me too! I hate them! I have found that OCM has improved mine over time - because Im not using harsh cleansers, I dont go bright red/pink in these areas anymore! My skin is loving it!
Tatum said:
Josephine said:
You don't need to steam your face w/ OCM, just use the hottest/warmest water you can to wipe off the oil.

Thanks for all the help, girls! :) I decided to take try OCM. I OCM'd last night using Johnson & Johnsons' baby oil. I know it's mineral oil, but all of the veggie oils I've tried in the past have caused horrendous breakouts. (I finally got my skin cleared up after a most awful breakout caused by jojoba oil. Three weeks to figure out it was jojoba oil causing it, and four weeks to get it all healed up.) But mineral oil doesn't cause me any problems - go figure.

Anyway, so far I love the results. My skin is glowing, and my blackheads are greatly diminished. I'm pretty shocked at that!

I used a warm, but not hot, washcloth to gently wipe it off. However, I'm going to get some flannel or muslin cloths. The washcloth's nubby texture could prove to be irritating if I were to use it every or every-other night. I also tried to be gentle when rubbing and massaging. I couldn't believe all of the plugs, comedones, and blackheads that came out :eek: I followed up with my usual BHA/AHA. This morning I simply splashed my face with water and used a dab of moisturizer to seal. My face still was glowing. Quite nice.

I'll post an update sometime soon. Hopefully OCM will prove to be a normal part of my routine.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Question for all of you OCM ladies: Is it normal to get slightly clogged pores - little bumps, if you will, under the skin? I'm using grapeseed oil only. I have a few pimples breaking out, but nothing drastic, and it's seemed to tame & dry out my skin. But...there are still these little areas that seem slightly bumpy. Is it everything in the pores coming out, or what?

I'm tempted to try some castor oil in particularly oily spots.

Josephine

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
Question for all of you OCM ladies: Is it normal to get slightly clogged pores - little bumps, if you will, under the skin? I'm using grapeseed oil only. I have a few pimples breaking out, but nothing drastic, and it's seemed to tame & dry out my skin. But...there are still these little areas that seem slightly bumpy. Is it everything in the pores coming out, or what?

How long have you been doing OCM? For a few days there is the honeymoon period, where your skin looks great, then a period of WTH? where all the dirt/gunk/etc deep in the skin has made its way to the top and is being purged. After that comes the good looking skin again. You might be at that second period. What I do sometimes to help get rid of some of the underneath bumps is crush/grind/pulverize 5 uncoated aspirin, mix with some aloe vera gel (oil can work too, just don't use water, it will evaporate) and let it sit for 10 min or so. Then I warm up the OCM oils and saturate the mask and use the aspirin/oil mix as a scrub, then use the washcloth to get it all off.

Tatum

Practically Family
RitaHayworth said:
Me too! I hate them!

I have found that OCM has improved mine over time - because Im not using harsh cleansers, I dont go bright red/pink in these areas anymore!

My skin is loving it!

Wow, really? Maybe there is hope without laser! (crosses fingers) Mine, unfortunately, are hereditary. :(

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Tatum said:
Wow, really? Maybe there is hope without laser! (crosses fingers) Mine, unfortunately, are hereditary. :(

I think so anyway, but my skin has improved 150% - so Im happy with that.

I went to a dermatologist/day surgeon when I was about 22 who informed me I have a very slight case of Roscea (sp?) - and that he could laser them! I declined politely! as annoying as they are, I just couldnt do it.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
How many did you use? What kind/brand were they? What did you mix them with?

Not sure. I read the tip on another forum, and I think I may have only used two Disprin, mixed to a paste in a little water.

My friend and I went to the movies last night and were in the bathroom afterward. Since it was the weekend and a last minute decision to go - I went make up free. My friend, though her skin has cleared quite a lot since she went with the natural products that actually "burnt" mine), ran her hand over my cheek and said "Oh my god, what have you been using"?

The look on her face was legendary as I explained the OCM! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24