Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

live vintageous

Familiar Face
StaceFace said:
My skin has finally come out of its nadir, and I must say, the OCM is a blessing. I still am having the occasional minute pimple, but nothing much beyond that.
That's awesome! Aren't you glad you stuck with it? :D

Miss Molly

New in Town
I have to say, I've started using the cold cream method for cleansing, and it's already made such a difference. I really really love it. It's a little greasy at first, but my skin kinda settled down after a few days and using a nice gentle toner after made all the difference. Miss Molly :)

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Just received my rose distillate in the post today. I've already misted my face twice with it because it smells so lovely. But of course, I'll have to be patient and see if it serves it's primary purpose of getting rid of my broken capillaries.

I've been using virgin coconut oil to OCM with great success.

Because the broken capillaries are worsening, and my eye skin continues to thin, I was advised to discontinue any petroleum or alcohol-based products - no more baby oil for me. But it's been a good switch! I actually like coconut oil better than baby oil. It has a creamy, silky texture and feels emollient and creamy on my skin. I'm even using a drop of it to moisturize with. Best part? No breakouts from it. Every vegetable oil I've tried to OCM with has given me terrible breakouts. But thus far, coconut oil is a go.

I've also been using it in place of my after-shower moisturizer, and it's beginning to fade my stretch marks! No exaggeration or lies. I'm pretty happy and shocked.

So there's my OCM update.

Ciao, darlings!

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
Hiya *waves*
I'm new :)

This OCM thing sounds great and can't wait to give it a whirl.

Where do you London based lasses purchase your castor oil? I've had a look on the boots, fresh & wild and Holland & Barret websites and none of them seem to stock it :(

Also, I use mineral powder foundation and was wondering if using something like almond oil or jajoba oil will sink in enough for me to put the powder over it?

I've been using Neil's yard remedie's almond moisteriser lately and it's gorgeous, doesn't stress out my dry/sensitive skin adn sinks in quickily.

Thank you,
Miss Honey Bare
-x-

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
Welcome to the lounge Miss Honey Bare :)

Castor oil can sometimes be very hard to find in Europe since it can start births when taken internally by pregnant women. When you have dry skin you may actually be better of not using it, as it is drying. Instead try a mix without the castor oil.

I have used pure jojoba before, and now I am using Weleda Wild Rose Body Oil as a moisturizer. I have no problems putting one my mineral makeup after massaging in the oil. But I usually do other stuff for about ten–fifteen minutes and I have very dry skin.

But if your happy with your current moisturizer, and you still need to moisturize after switching to the OCM why not stick with it as long as it doesn’t give you breakouts?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Has anyone tried using those Biore porestrips after they use the OCM? I've been doing that every now and then and it's amazing the gunk that comes out! Before, even though I had clogged pores, the porestrips wouldn't do anything because everything was so stubborn and stuck in. Now it's almost frightening what comes out of my face!

Today I decided to use some above my lips where I get clogged pores from lipstick. Those are the absolutely most stubborn of all and usually nothing comes out. This time a lot did, and they were all bright red on the tips from my lipstick (TMI, I know!). Does anyone else have this problem? Since my lipstick seems to be the culprit, and there's no way I'm giving that up, any advice on how to prevent these clogged pores or deal with them in any way other than a pore strip? Ripping that sucker off hurt like hell (yes, I have a wee bit of peach fuzz!) and I'd like to avoid feeling that pain again.

Miss Honey Bare

New in Town
GreyAndWhiteCat said:
Welcome to the lounge Miss Honey Bare :)

Castor oil can sometimes be very hard to find in Europe since it can start births when taken internally by pregnant women. When you have dry skin you may actually be better of not using it, as it is drying. Instead try a mix without the castor oil.

I have used pure jojoba before, and now I am using Weleda Wild Rose Body Oil as a moisturizer. I have no problems putting one my mineral makeup after massaging in the oil. But I usually do other stuff for about ten–fifteen minutes and I have very dry skin.

But if your happy with your current moisturizer, and you still need to moisturize after switching to the OCM why not stick with it as long as it doesn’t give you breakouts?

Thank you :)

I managed to get some at boots in the end, I asked and they had it behind the counter.

I've mixed up a batch of 20% castor oil and 80% EVOO.
I'm going to try and do it every other day so as not to dry my skin out, I have doen it twice so far and not really noticed any difference but I shall perservere :)

Fingers crossed.

Mary

Practically Family
I must say, I've been very patient with my almond oil! Every night I have massaged it into the skin, left it for some minutes, then removed with witch hazel, and then some new almond oil. And it's not working!

I think I clogs my pores and I get blackheads where I never had any, like in my forehead. And I seem to get big pores where I never had any. I was hoping I would get rid of the white small bumps but they are still there. There must be something terribly wrong with me! What should I do?!

(Kidding, I'm no desparate teenager,but have you got any ideas. Maybe it's obvious?!)

M

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Mary- I got it explained to me by my doctor in stockholm that white heads comes from the skin producing to much oil due to stripping the natural oils from the skin and from the pores not being big enough to let the oils out in the same tempo as the producing.... I have had them since my teens and the only time I have been without is when the same doctor burnt them away with laser. After about a year they came back. I started OCM a month ago and so far the ones on my cheek bones are gone again. I think the ones on my cheeks are packing their bags aswell. I am using 50% olive oil, and equal parts of castor oil, jojoba, wheatsprout oil? ( not sure of the name in english) and rose hip oil. I figure it takes a lot longer for the white heads to go away since they are a lot harder in structure than the blackheads. I have not noticed an increased amount of blackheads but I've read that other ladies had problem with this.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks mackenzie! It kind of makes sense. I have my white spots on my cheekbones where my skin is kind of good. It's just that I'm not sure I had them before I started with the coldcream some months ago. But before I didn't take any care of my skin and probaly wouldn't have noticed them :eusa_doh: .

How fun that you have a doctor i stockholm! Or are you Swedish but live abroad?

M

live vintageous

Familiar Face
Okay, so I was all fabulously happy about virgin coconut oil and OCM. However, a day or so after my last post, I noticed that I had developed blackheads in new places I've never experienced them before - like all over my forehead :eek: :mad: OCM started out so positively for me. And now...meh.

So I've left off the OCM and coconut oil for a few days and they're already starting to disappear. Perhaps OCM really isn't for me. Maybe it's the cause of some of the newer broken capillaries, despite my best attempts to massage gently.

Oh well. my skin doesn't look the worse for not OCM-ing. I'll see how my skin is in another week and decide from there.

Mackenzie, I just received my rose distillate toner last week. I'll let you know how it goes. It sure smells wonderful!

Josephine

One Too Many
live vintageous said:
Okay, so I was all fabulously happy about virgin coconut oil and OCM. However, a day or so after my last post, I noticed that I had developed blackheads in new places I've never experienced them before - like all over my forehead :eek: :mad: OCM started out so positively for me. And now...meh.

Many times with a new skin care regime, especially one that works as well as OCM, there is a "detox" period where all the oil and dirt that was trapped in your skin is purged. If you are seeing more blackheads you might want to try an EVOO and Castor oil mix. The Castor oil is great for cleansing, but once you're past that detox time (unless you have blackheads a lot) you should move to a lighter oil mix, like jojoba or almond oil, with Castor oil once in awhile if you get a blackhead resurgence. Castor oil can be too drying if used for a length of time.

You might also want to take a look at the recipes further back in this thread and see if there is a mix that would work better for your skin. Not everyone does well on the CO/EVOO mix or Almond/jojoba, sometimes they might even need a different ratio of the same oils than another person.

One thing you might want to try is an aspirin mask, I take 6 uncoated aspirin, crush them fine, add a small (between pea and grape sized) amount of pure aloe vera gel and apply that to my damp face and let it sit for awhile. Warm up some of you oil mix and massage that into the mask and lightly scrub, removing it the same way you usually would for the oil.

In the end it's up to you if OCM isn't for you (it isn't always for everyone), but I hope you give it a bit longer, and try tweaking your method before deciding against it. :)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Josephine said:
Many times with a new skin care regime, especially one that works as well as OCM, there is a "detox" period where all the oil and dirt that was trapped in your skin is purged.

In the end it's up to you if OCM isn't for you (it isn't always for everyone), but I hope you give it a bit longer, and try tweaking your method before deciding against it. :)

I agree. My good friend who is also an esthetician always tells her clients that when starting treatments for skin conditions it will get worse before it gets better.

And remember, how many years has your skin had time to develop these toxins? It's going to take more than a few weeks to rid yourself of them. Don't give up hope :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
live vintageous said:

Give yourself a couple of months. Really work in that oil, massaging firmly for at least 3 min. Try to use little else on your skin (make up and moisturizer only). UP YOUR WATER INTAKE!!! :) Wash your pillowcases often.

Ive been doing it for about 6 weeks now and I tell ya, its working. Like the other ladies have said, it will get worse before it gets better.

LD

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Mary said:
Thanks mackenzie! It kind of makes sense. I have my white spots on my cheekbones where my skin is kind of good. It's just that I'm not sure I had them before I started with the coldcream some months ago. But before I didn't take any care of my skin and probaly wouldn't have noticed them :eusa_doh: .

How fun that you have a doctor i stockholm! Or are you Swedish but live abroad?

M

:eek:fftopic: Yep, I'm from Varnamo but have been living in Italy for about 2 years.

mackenzie

Familiar Face
live vintageous said:
Mackenzie, I just received my rose distillate toner last week. I'll let you know how it goes. It sure smells wonderful!

Doesn't it smell nice? I love it, and even better, here in Italy is so cheap it is almost for free... I sure like a good deal!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Mary & others: I didn't see any results before I started oil cleansing morning AND at nighttime and now I can really tell a difference. It's a bit of a hassle in the mornings which is why I didn't do it first, but it's worth the effort :) I'm using plain almond oil.

live vintageous

Familiar Face
RebeccaMUA, Josephine, and Lady Day:

Thank you all of your help and kind words of encouragement :)

I think I am going to continue my leave of absence from OCM for a few more days. My broken capillaries and cheek area have calmed down quite a bit, though, I do miss the deep clean, glowing look and feeling of a good OCM session. But perhaps all of the rubbing is just a bit too much for my skin? Or maybe I should reduce OCM to every other or every two days instead of every day?

Josephine

One Too Many
live vintageous said:
...perhaps all of the rubbing is just a bit too much for my skin? Or maybe I should reduce OCM to every other or every two days instead of every day?

You can rub or not as much as you feel comfortable doing, and you can use as tepid-warm-hot water as you want, just so long as the oil is coming off. You might want to try just gently wiping with warm water for a while with a soft flannel or washcloth. And every two days is fine if that's, again, what you feel comfortable doing. I usually wash with water in the AM, and do OCM in the evening, sometimes skipping if I'm tired, it's late, etc. The great thing about OCM is that it's adjustable to your situation. Types of oil, ratio of oils, vigor in cleaning... all up to you.

And we're all happy to help. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy