Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Cleansing Method

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, day one. 20% castor and 80% EVOO. I did the steamy washcloth 3 times thing after using cotton wool to remove mascara gunk.

My skin feels really soft and plumped. I just hope I don't break out after a few days!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I think I read most of this thread and didn't notice anything on this... so apologies if I missed it.

Does anyone know or use Aceite 3 by Jaloma? I found some chat about it on the longhair site, but I'm wondering if anyone uses it on your face? It's a mix of olive, almond, and castor oils that comes from Mexico. It smells lovely, and it's way cheap (I paid $1.07 for a 4 oz. bottle).

Elizabeth

dollydahl

New in Town
So I've been doing this oil cleansing method for about a week and a half now and I love it! I actually went out without a spec of makeup on today and felt ok about it!

I've been using equal parts EVOO and Castor with a touch of Rose Hips and it's doing the trick. I'm going to keep on with this blend for a little bit more until my pores are good and clean and then I'll change it up a bit.

I've been using a touch of jojoba oil as moisturizer when I need it and it's lovely!

dollydahl

New in Town
pigeon toe said:
Has anyone tried using those Biore porestrips after they use the OCM? I've been doing that every now and then and it's amazing the gunk that comes out! Before, even though I had clogged pores, the porestrips wouldn't do anything because everything was so stubborn and stuck in. Now it's almost frightening what comes out of my face!

ooh I have not tried them after yet. I always use to use them before OCM and I got a lot of gunk out. I shall try tonight and see if I have as good luck as you. There is something disgustingly satisfying about those pore strips. HEHE

dollydahl

New in Town
pigeon toe said:
Has anyone tried using those Biore porestrips after they use the OCM? I've been doing that every now and then and it's amazing the gunk that comes out! Before, even though I had clogged pores, the porestrips wouldn't do anything because everything was so stubborn and stuck in. Now it's almost frightening what comes out of my face!

ooh I have not tried them after yet. I always use to use them before OCM and I got a lot of gunk out. I shall try tonight and see if I have as good luck as you. There is something disgustingly satisfying about those pore strips. HEHE

FaintlyMacabre

New to OCM

I started yesterday, cleaning in the shower yesterday afternoon. Using 70% Jojoba/30% castor. I am usually Normal/Oily in the T-zone, and Normal/Dry on the rest of my face. My face felt nice for the rest of the day. Cleansed again before bed like so:
*Oil on, then wiped with a cotton pad to remove makeup.
*More oil, massage, brushed teeth
*warm/hot towel, steamed and wiped a few times.
*No additional moisturizer before bed.

This morning I was pretty slick in the T-zone. I "washed" with a wet warm washcloth. After my skin dried it felt a little tight (outside the T-zone) so i patted on/rubbed in a few drops of straight Jojoba oil. It went on and soaked in nicely and all was well.

A couple hours later (no makeup) I could see oil beading up on my nose. This is just the thing I'd like to correct.
Could this be part of the initial "cleaning out" phase? Should i adjust the mix of my oil (adding more castor)? Or is it too soon to start playing with the mix?

Also, i think i see a bit of red splotchiness on my chin and from the bottom of my nose to the corners of my lips.

Marla

A-List Customer
FaintlyMacabre, I think you should wait and see how your skin reacts to the mix before adjusting it. It took about three weeks of daily application for my skin to clear up, period. I played around with mixes during that time but it made no noticeable difference. Only now that my skin has adjusted do I try different mixtures.

FaintlyMacabre

Well, dang, Marla.....I did mess with the oil. I wasn't having any "bad" reaction, just not a "desired" result, ya know?
So about two or three days in I tried a mix with less castor - 80% jojoba/20% castor. And have experimented with a swipe of witch hazel just on the oily bits. It was still feeling kind of dry, needing a few drops of the same oil to moisturize.
So I thought I'd try olive oil instead of Jojoba in the mix since it is supposed to be more moisturizing. I mixed up a small amount of 80% EVOO/20% castor. My skin feels almost drier than with the Jojoba when I'm done.
I am so far ot really happy with the texture of my skin...its definitely not feeling "soft and plumped" like Smuterella mentioned earlier.
I know Marla already suggested sticking with the same mix for a longer while. but I can't help but wonder if I should lower the castor oil.

How long should I stick with a mix before deciding it needs tweaking?....Again, my skin is not reacting badly - no breakouts - I'm just not getting the wonderful result I'd like.

Marla

A-List Customer
Oh, dear! It could be the castor oil. Perhaps a mix of jojoba and olive oil exclusively will work better?

FaintlyMacabre

Ya think? I still have just a bit of "dirty stuff" in my pores (nose) that I'd like to see gone. I guess I did forget to mention that the dirt plugs that have plagued me have been slowly disappearing.

Lenore

Practically Family
I just started it last night.

Since being diagnosed Celiac, I've discovered gluten in almost EVERYTHING I used, including my skin care products. (No wonder my skin never would clear up!) As such, I've been on a mission to simplify everything about my routine as far as what all I'm using. I figure it can't be more simple than OCM, and I know exactly what is in it. I had tried it several years ago, but I never let my skin get out of the detox period before I switched to something new. Bad, Lenore... But I'm on a mission now and can't wait for the results.

I'm curious to how many of you on this board are still using OCM. I'd like to see this thread come alive again..

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
I've read through most of this thread and while I don't use castor, grapeseed, or jojoba, I do use baby oil (mineral oil) after ditching my St. Ive's skin cleanser since it seemed to be drying out my skin more than I liked this winter. I initially started using it to help remove my make up so I wasn't scrubbing at my face so much to remove everything and felt like it was doing the areas around my eyes a favor. I have since started using it all over my face and then following ftworthgal's lead in steaming it in with a hot washcloth before wiping it off. I have noticed a difference especially in my chin where I was prone to blackheads...it seems like it has been really clearing them out rather than making me break out. I've also noticed that my skin seems less shiny (especially my forehead) throughout the day.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I didn't realize there was a thread on this, thank you for digging it up. I use almond oil only. I started about a month or so ago. I love it. I will never go back. I use it nightly, unless I shower, and in the morning I just rinse my face with water.

My acne clears up very fast. I think I might be in a mild detox yet, but if I do it consistently, it is much less acne than with soap. I am on a mission to get back to basics, and I'm trying to cut down on the number of products and the amount of ingredients in each.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I didn't realize there was a thread on this, thank you for digging it up. I use almond oil only. I started about a month or so ago. I love it. I will never go back. I use it nightly, unless I shower, and in the morning I just rinse my face with water.

My acne clears up very fast. I think I might be in a mild detox yet, but if I do it consistently, it is much less acne than with soap. I am on a mission to get back to basics, and I'm trying to cut down on the number of products and the amount of ingredients in each.

I'm doing this for the same reason. I would like to know exactly what's going on my body. I don't wear a ton of make-up, never have (except when doing theatre) and I don't like the idea of putting things on or in my body if I don't know what they are made from. Plus I love the idea of having something I can use on my hair and face and not have to worry. I've used almond oil on my body for a long time now, but just started with the OCM last night on my face, I have very dry skin, especially this time of year and I used a mix of almond and olive oil last night and this morning my face feels amazing, no dry spots and I'm glowing. I plan on getting some castor for occasional use, but continuing on with this. I also love that if I run out while travelling I can go to almost any store and get what I need.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm doing this for the same reason. I would like to know exactly what's going on my body. I don't wear a ton of make-up, never have (except when doing theatre) and I don't like the idea of putting things on or in my body if I don't know what they are made from. Plus I love the idea of having something I can use on my hair and face and not have to worry. I've used almond oil on my body for a long time now, but just started with the OCM last night on my face, I have very dry skin, especially this time of year and I used a mix of almond and olive oil last night and this morning my face feels amazing, no dry spots and I'm glowing. I plan on getting some castor for occasional use, but continuing on with this. I also love that if I run out while travelling I can go to almost any store and get what I need.

Yeah, I've very big on my making my own stuff or using stuff that I know what the ingredients are. About a year ago I started paring down after a few years of some bad experiences with products. I realized 6 months ago that I don't use hardly anything in the pharmarcy aisles of the grocery store anymore- no shampoo, no deodorant, no moisturizer, no conditioner. The only things I use from that section are perfume, first aid stuff, soap, occasionally foundation, and lipstick. I've replaced almost everything with almond oil, baking soda, and cornstarch.

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I've started using OCM this week. I was looking forward to some horrible removal of blackheads etc. but nothing so dramatic yet! I've been using a mix of olive oil and sweet almond oil, massaging into skin then cleaning off with a steamy hot flannel. I've then been using Rosehip Oil on my "wrinkley" areas (my husband just rolls his eyes at me when I mention that I'm getting fine lines) as it allegedly helps reduce wrinkles and scars etc.

I was worried when I started that I wouldn't feel clean but it's amazingly refreshing and my skin definitely looks a bit fresher and clearer. I hope to see some good results over the next few weeks. I still have some little stubborn blackheads on the sides of my nostrils. I've tried everywhere to get Castor Oil but nowhere sells it (at least that's what they tell me). I may have to order online as I hear it's great for removing blackheads.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've tried everywhere to get Castor Oil but nowhere sells it (at least that's what they tell me). I may have to order online as I hear it's great for removing blackheads.

I don't know if you've already tried this, but Castor Oil is sold as a laxative in the US in most pharmacies, so it is typically on the bottom shelf of the laxative section. I realize you are an ocean away, but if I went into any store in the US and said I wanted Castor Oil, they probably would say the same thing about not selling it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points