Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK, go easy on me...

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I'm a hat virgin. OK, I admit it. I've heard you guys talking about it for a long time. I've wanted to try it. But I was afraid. Maybe I wouldn't do it right. Hell, my father did it. So did both of my grandfathers. I wouldn't be here if they hadn't done it. I just haven't had the nerve. It's kind of scary. Your first time. What if I mess up?

So... go easy on me.

Here are a couple of really basic (admittedly probably stupid) questions:

1. Hat sizes seem very precise. Not like suit sizes. How do I know what mine is? Who measures me? I figured I would buy vintage hats - I even have a collection of "family hats" to choose from - but I have no idea if they fit or not. How do I know what my size is?

2. I know this sounds odd but I suspect my head size probably changes, depending on my haircut. I still have really thick hair and sometimes it's more thinned down or sleeker than others. Does that matter? If hat sizes are in 1/8" then I can assure you I can lose way more than that at the barber's.

I'll stop here. Too embarrassed to ask any more questions.

Braxton

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
Don't beat yourself up

Everyone has their first time. Boy, i'm the first to reply. I'm exited, this forum moves fast. But anyway, to answer your first question, the size of your hat is determined by the cercumference of your head. Use a tape measure or a piece of string and wrap it slightly snug around the widest part of your head. Make sure there are no gaps between the tape measure and your head. Don't do it too tight though either. The inches can be converted into a hat size using a chart. Go to Millerhats.com for their size chart. As for your second question, a hair cut doesn't effect your size too much. If you get a hair cut, your hat may seem a bit bigger but not too big to wear like it wasn't your size anymore. That will go away after a few days and the hat will feel fine.
Some advice. A horse hair hat brush is a very good thing to have. It will remove dust with ease. Felt seems to attract dust and it holds it like a swiffer sweeper. Dust is hard to remove with anything else. Also a wooden hat jack it good to have. If your hat gets wet, it may shrink. But a hat jack will stretch it back out. The wood also removes moisture from the inside the hat. Welcome aboard.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Braxton,
and welcome. why did you wait enough!?
Let's come into the crowd and enjoy your hats.
There are here a lot of good guys that may help you in it...you...we...
To wear an hat is like to drink a good wine.
You look it nearly, inside outside, you smell it,its felt its leather sweatband,you could have an hat to every occasion. For a wind day, for a sunny day exc...
Your mood go through your hats...
An advice:never forget to put on your hat, it help you to love more and more your hat.
Your look and your health will obtain advantage.
Best regards.
Riccardo.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Braxton,

Welcome to the Lounge!

Your questions aren't stupid or even unusual. A year ago, I had no hats and all the same questions (well, except for the one about the haircut - I shave my head so there's no concern there!).

Fifty years ago, a man didn't need to worry about his hat size. All he needed to do was walk into a hat shop or department store and pick out a style he liked. It was the hatter's or clerk's job to get him one that fit properly. Since hats are no longer mainstream, and most cities and towns no longer have any hat shops, we men who wear hats have to be a lot more self-reliant on things like sizes, replacing ribbons, cleaning, and the use of steam. All this information is available, if you know where to look. Instead of thinking your questions are stupid, you should congratulate yourself on not only being smart enough to find the Fedora Lounge in the first place, but also on being wise enough to become a member and start asking questions. Almost all the knowledge you need is here, or someone here can point you in the right direction.

My advice: Get yourself a hat. You don't need to spend a lot of money on the first one, just get your feet wet. Find something vintage on eBay that strikes your fancy. Wear it for a few months and see how you like it. Chances are you'll like it and want to get a few more to go with different clothes. One year ago I had zero hats, now I have eight and wear a hat every day.

Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions.

Virgil Ante

New in Town
Just get a hat on!

We all got into hats in different ways, but we all started somewhere. I basically grew up under a Stetson. I got my first real hat at 13, and have had one, or more ever since. Whenever I fancied a new one, I gave the old one to some family member kid to play in. I kind of wish I had kept them all now.

I was lucky enough to be a land surveyor as a young guy, and the hats were a real asset. I even cut down a campaign hat one time, so I could still wear it when looking through my transit. That was a real tough guy looking lid, I must say. It could still hang in the bar at Midas Nevada for all I know. (they nail them to the walls.) I remember when the bar at Welcome Nevada burned down, they had about 100 or more new stetson cowboy hats that went up in the fire. This was the late 1970's and they were probably real nice hats.

As the nice folks here have stated, you don't have to start out expensive. There are some nice hats through Noggintops, or you could look into an Akubra, and get a hat you really enjoy, and are willing to wear regularly. Sometimes it is hard to wear a nice vintage hat out hunting for ruffed grouse, and beating through the blackberry thorns. (feel free to substitute your own tough conditions)

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys

I certainly appreciate everyone's help and for the nice welcome. I am assessing the size question and hope to be hatted in the very near future. I have another question that I post as a new thread. Thanks!

If you have a collection of family hats to choose from then go through them and see which fits the best. Since you are going for vintage then starting with vintage might be the way to go. When you find the hat that fits the best, carefully look under the sweatband for the size tag. They all usually have a size tag under the sweatband unless it has really be kicked around. ;) In all the years and probably hundreds of hats I have looked at and owned, I have found very few without this information still intact.
You can then measure the distance around that hat for reference. If none of the hats fit then at least you know what sizes you aren't. :p The shape of your head also has a bit to do with it. Some people, like me, are not a regular oval hat size. There are wide ovals and long ovals. Seldomly you find a wide oval but you will find long ovals. If you place a hat on that fits your head fine but has space enough on either side to put an index finger in then you are a long oval. Wide ovals are tighter on the sides than in the front and back.
The previous posts about measuring you head with a fabric tape are right on. They will give you the size but not shape of your head. Trying on a few hats will give you an idea what will work for you. Even if you go to a hat store where you are, you can try on hats and get an idea of size for future reference.
If you hit another problem subject, don't be afraid to ask. There really are no dumb questions. I also call your attention to the search feature on the Lounge. You can get an idea of what was written previously if you doubt there is no such thing as a stupid question. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner