Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok, I bought a vintage GRAIS Horsehide jacket...... I like it but.....

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hello everyone...

First time posting and new to the forum...

Ok was searching ebay for a 50 L leather jacket.. came across a Fox creek and later a really beat up Schott 141 in a 54 regular... I wanted that one for working on a jobsite and it will be destroyed over time so i little short in the torso was not big deal .... but that is another story...

Back to the jacket at hand.... pics from ebay....

jack1.jpg

jack2.jpg

jack3.jpg

jack4.jpg

jack5.jpg

jack6.jpg

jack7.jpg

jack8.jpg

jack9.jpg

jack10.jpg

Will continue in next post.....

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Part 2 of my post........ Grais Vintage Horsehide continued....

Hi again...

Ok back to the Jacket...

jack11.jpg

The above are the sellers pics.... jack arrived , no smell, leather was soft , but very dry to the touch. Seller described it as follows...
"AMAZING SIZE AND CONDITION HORSEHIDE LEATHER COAT. I WEAR A 46 TO 48 AND THIS IS BIG ON I. THICK BUT SOFT PLIABLE HORSEHIDE LEATHER. FROM NON SMOKING HOME. LINER AND POCKET LINERS IN GREAT SHAPE.LEATHER IN GREAT SHAPE.GREAT PATINA. WITH WEAR IN ALL THE NORMAL PLACES. ZIPPER WORKS FINE. HAS ORIGINAL GRAIS METAL BADGE ON ZIPPER. ONLY HOLE IS ON 1 LEATHER LAPEL WHERE IT LOOKS LIKE A METAL POST BADGE WAS.THE LEATHER FRONT BELT IS DETACHABLE. SOLD AS IS WITH NO RETURNS. WOULD KEEP BUT JUST TOO BIG ON ME. DOES HAVE THE ACTION BACK ON BACK SHOULDERS TO GIVE FLEX . TOP OF COLLAR TO BOTTOM OF JACKET IS 31" FROM BOTTOM OF COLLAR TO BOTTOM OF JACKET ABOUT 30" ABOUT 22" ACROSS TOP OF SHOULDERS

PIT TO PIT ABOUT 26 TO 27" 27" FROM TOP OF SHOULDER TO END OF WRIST. 18" FROM PIT TO END OF SLEEVE 52" AROUND WAIST...GREAT VINTAGE WEARABLE PIECE..."

Well I tried wearing it and it seems to fit ok... but more on that later.... I then decided to use Pecards leather dressing and hand rubbed with my finger tips and rubbed it in the entire coat every inch..... the horsehide was stiff in places and dry. I left a thin coating over night and then hand rubbed it off the next morning letting the dressing soak in for about 10 or 12 hours. The leather took a darker shade of brown when it was done and I think the jacket is better for it...

As I mention i am 6'3" about 270 lbs and have a 37 1/2 sleeve wear 50 Long typically ... I got the jacket little big in the shoulder which adds a little to sleeve length no problem. But the front zipper is short stops right at my belly button and belt goes right above that.. I think its the design of the jacket but I am out of my field of expertise. I am just unsure how it was suppose to fit... I found a tag in side a pocket but was unsure if it read 52 or 54 ...

I love the jacket but the zipper placement odd . It seems to work fine when I had it zipped up and I was sitting in a car... driving with the top down yesterday.

Any thought or history on this style would be very interesting to know.... I took all photos myself ( not bragging... ) as if I asked my wife she would not understand....

05EA26D1-B9E0-4B1A-B8C8-E295FE8A6BF9-14537-00001245A6D696E6.jpg

AB0138B0-2C6F-4E2A-B53D-DCE2E9A586E4-14537-00001245A36F943F.jpg

4446A444-444D-4E02-8BE7-348BBAA9E986-14537-000012459FECB330.jpg

6D6282E4-D017-41A8-89F7-2B2BA19BC807-14537-000012459CA6E7B2.jpg

1378900C-1067-4D25-837E-0691797EC6DD-14537-00001245993E6550.jpg

052F0BF2-D2DB-40FC-BF4E-58CDB652EEF5-14537-0000124595E9B247.jpg

CE6EF870-D9E6-4902-9DFF-9B331702579E-14537-0000124591DA732F.jpg

F1862D5F-9534-4B25-9C4A-B2738613BCC2-14537-000012458DCF3A1E.jpg

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi Brian

thanks for the confirmation... I feel very lucky getting something close enough to my size in vintage... its a lot of horse !!

best

Bill

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Looks great!

I had a Grais bomber/flight jacket with the same label and zip pull. Top quality jackets if you can find one in this condition, well done.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
The Jacket Looks good !
it may seem short to you but it's good & the Zipper placement is ment to be there so you can sit or ride a motorcycle.....
Can you imagne the restricted movement if it went to the bottom as new ?
As for the length it will be perfect with some Selvedge Jeans or vintage high waisted pants...
Pants had a Higher rise (Crotch to top of pant) Most were around 12'' & higher probably more for your Stature......
with the correct pant this will all look perfect......
Remember todays cuts in fashion allow the extra length to hide a untucked shirt & that is how many shirts are worn today.....
so what you see is just what you are used to seeing In todays fashion norm....
.the jacket is great & a rare find in your size.
Enjoy it !

Last edited:

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi

Thanks for the info , I was leaning to that conclusion .....I feel like I won the lottery .... As the jacket is in great shape ! And taking age into consideration its stunning ..

Now I have a tough choice between a a-2 llbean that is 20 years old , the fox creek moto an this Grais ..... I spent about 820 $ on all three said and done.

Good hunting

Bill

Richard G

New in Town
Hello Bill welcome to the forum and to vintage jackets. I think the jacket fits you just fine. A good starting point it is.
It is just as with vintage Omegas, there are always some details that could be a little better. But we accept these "flaws" and cherish them anyway. And we go out searching for the better ones and add them to the collection. Otherwise you could just go ahead an get a new one (or made to measure jacket). But be warned, if the jacket bug really bites you, there will be a lot of explaining to be done to your wife. Watches are so much more simple. A closet drawer will take a bunch of them whereas with the jackets, you'll have to find much more space, they are much more obvious and can't be "sneaked" in through just by carrying them in a pocket and secretly stashing them away.
Keep up the good work!
Cheers from Zurich, Switzerland
Richard G

D

Deleted member 16736

Wow, you really lucked out with that jacket. The sleeves are as short as you'd want, but otherwise it fits very well. Like others said, with a tucked-in shirt and some nice high rise pants (and maybe a fedora!), it'd look very nice. Wear it in good health.

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi Joel....

I can also wear the coat unzipped fine as well.... I think the sleeves are fine. They are slightly longer then my a-2 and shorter then my schott 141!

Been digging it the few hats I have in the attac a few western , Tom mix Stetson! Very big hat, a few wool felts And an akubra cattlemen that seems slightly light since I last wore it in the outback back in 1995! Might have to wear it to stretch it back ? Who knows.... Was a 7 3/8 for years but. I hVe a few 7 1/2 that fit well.... Also purchased a tan fedora on the net last night!

Best

Bill

Bill Sohne

New in Town
Hi richard

Vintage omegas? Hahahaha hahahaha. But with a arch it typically a strap or needing links to a bracelet made 50 years ago. I have been successful sourcing links for 50 plus year old watches... But fining a jacket in my big size and then in proper condition well , I feel very luckly getting something like this Grais from the 1950s in this condition.....

Any new old watches?

Best regards and see you on the forums

Good hunting

Bill Sohne

Richard G

New in Town
Hi Bill
The problem with the jackets is not only sizing but also condition. It is next to impossible to restore when it is worn down. Many smell sometimes even after having given them the washing machine treatment a couple of times... On the other hand, we all have a washing machine and some LEXOL but hardly anyone has a watch maker's facility...
No new Omegas in the past few years but kept all of them. Added just very few -a TR900 and V&C Chronometre Royal for instance.
Enjoy the jacket! I used to have a very similar styled one "Admiral Byrd" that I got from Aero Scotland (original vintage, not replica) but unfortunately it was too large for me....
Take care
Richard G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy