Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK...I confess...

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
I haven't a stitch of vintage clothing....not even a Fedora and coat. I dig folks up constantly that do dress the 40s period for photo projects, but as I don't usually step in front of the camera I have not spent the time and money putting together an outfit for myself. So, like, where do I start? Any tips for a greenhorn?

I want to come up with a 40's suit, shoes, hat, and coat.....needless to say, I want to go the Sam Spade look.

What should I watch out for? Any brand names to consider? Aside from comparing photos to clothing on the rack, how can I be sure I'm getting correct period gear?

Thanks...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Vintage stores are a great place to find clothing. Also, what I've been doing is finding actresses (which in your case actors) who have the same body style as I do, and look for clothes according to what I see that looks good on them.
Good luck! :D

Wild Root

Gone Home
So, you want to get a real 40’s outfit eh? And you want it to be a total Sam spade job eh? Well get this and get it straight Mac, vintage can be found if you look hard, it’s tough, see but, it pays dividends!

Popular togs for the “Dick” would be that of a Double Breasted job, peaked lapels and broad shoulders… a nice wide brimmed fedora would be a perfect companion. I’ll tell ya this, PI’s always wore dark shoes, never anything really flashy… their suits were mostly solid colors or something with a subtle stripe. I’d recommend a dark blue gabardine drape DB style, savvy? Yeah, that would be the business! Ties are easy to find, heck, if you do your home work, I’ll kick ya down a nice 40’s noose that would go well with a dark blue drape shape. As far as shirts are concerned, white is nice and classic, or, something light gray with a subtle stripe. If you find a dark blue suit (which is the easiest to find) a light or medium gray lid would work best for taking on a new case. As for a top coat, you want a nice gabardine double breasted model with a belt say, in a blue gray or light gray color… yeah, that’s the stuff!

So, check out the local shops there up north and get an idea of what to look for, see! Try and contact Roberto, he’s a vintage dealer in the area, he’ll fix yas up real nice! He’s a buddy of mine! He’s not cheap but, if you’re planning on spending $250-$300 for a new suit, you’d be best to get the genuine article! He’s up in that there Sacramento area, look him up some time.

=WR=

boriskarloff21.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Well, old fruit, you got the goods on it, and the fellas on the picture are all dolled up right as you says, only the lid on the big six on the right don't look so wide-brimmed to me. Rather mid-thirties.

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
So, you want to get a real 40’s outfit eh? And you want it to be a total Sam spade job eh? Well get this and get it straight Mac, vintage can be found if you look hard, it’s tough, see but, it pays dividends!

Popular togs for the “Dick” would be that of a Double Breasted job, peaked lapels and broad shoulders… a nice wide brimmed fedora would be a perfect companion. I’ll tell ya this, PI’s always wore dark shoes, never anything really flashy… their suits were mostly solid colors or something with a subtle stripe. I’d recommend a dark blue gabardine drape DB style, savvy? Yeah, that would be the business! Ties are easy to find, heck, if you do your home work, I’ll kick ya down a nice 40’s noose that would go well with a dark blue drape shape. As far as shirts are concerned, white is nice and classic, or, something light gray with a subtle stripe. If you find a dark blue suit (which is the easiest to find) a light or medium gray lid would work best for taking on a new case. As for a top coat, you want a nice gabardine double breasted model with a belt say, in a blue gray or light gray color… yeah, that’s the stuff!

So, check out the local shops there up north and get an idea of what to look for, see! Try and contact Roberto, he’s a vintage dealer in the area, he’ll fix yas up real nice! He’s a buddy of mine! He’s not cheap but, if you’re planning on spending $250-$300 for a new suit, you’d be best to get the genuine article! He’s up in that there Sacramento area, look him up some time.

=WR=

boriskarloff21.jpg

WR, knew I could count on you to point me in the right direction. Shall keep you posted.

Thanks......still,

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, the lid isn't as wide as I've seen but, for some reason I couldn't find a photo to support my description... they did wear both styles. ;)

Now we're cook'n with gas! The REAL Dick Tracey! Played by Ralph Byrd.

dicktracy3.jpg

=WR=

Wild Root said:

=WR=

boriskarloff21.jpg

You mean like this?:
Untitled_3.jpg

lol

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, my buddy Roberto has a fine shop, his prices aren't cheap but, his goods are in the best shape! If you look at the prices they charge for crapola at Department stores, a vintage suit for $200.+ isn't any big deal. ;) You'll find something that fits you and have a good original item that will look and fit so much better then any modern look alike.

Spend some money now and again, get something nice and the world is a good place!

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Well, my buddy Roberto has a fine shop, his prices aren't cheap but, his goods are in the best shape! If you look at the prices they charge for crapola at Department stores, a vintage suit for $200.+ isn't any big deal. ;) You'll find something that fits you and have a good original item that will look and fit so much better then any modern look alike.

Spend some money now and again, get something nice and the world is a good place!

=WR=

Roberto is a different story man. You can actually get something worth having from him for a lot less than you can get it for in Freako. That is a good resource there. PM him the address and number. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I'll have to do that, I'll have to dig it up... say, do you have it by any chance JP? When I was working in Pomona, he happened to be in the area and stopped by, we talked for a wile... he's a cool guy!

=RS=

Wild Root said:
Yeah, I'll have to do that, I'll have to dig it up... say, do you have it by any chance JP? When I was working in Pomona, he happened to be in the area and stopped by, we talked for a wile... he's a cool guy!

=RS=

He's a very cool guy. I will have to check if I have it when I get home. Which really means I will go home and ask LadyPowers where I put his card. :p

Regards,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Roberto is a different story man. You can actually get something worth having from him for a lot less than you can get it for in Freako. That is a good resource there. PM him the address and number. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Throw my hat in the ring for Roberto. I've got more stuff from him than anywhere or anyone else. He's right in SF, too.

..guy owes me a fedora, too...hrm. Have to hunt him down when I get home.

I've PMed all three of you with his email address. Don't flood him, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24