Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ok to wear?

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I am sure this has been asked a million times but the search function on tap-a-talk sucks.

I have a pair of light grey pin stripe pants and am wondering if it would be acceptable to wear them with a dark blue blazer (I would wear the outfit with brown spit shined cap toe shoes and chocolate fedora)? Looking to mix things up a bit.

Thoughts?

You run the risk of the pants looking orphaned from a suit. That said, if to your eye, they look like pinstripe trousers made simply as a pair of pants and not the bottom part of a suit, then it should look fine. Others seem to have stronger opinions, but this one is going to come down to your call if, on the whole, it looks good and, again, the pants don't scream "I was part of a suit." (Only from memory, but it seems that we've seen scans on this board of advertisements from the 1930s where striped pants and solid sport coats were worn).

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Mixing and matching of trousers and jackets from different suits used to be common and I see it as an authentic vintage look. If it looks good to you then wear it. Wear those orphans with pride.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
"Orphan matching" was commonplace.
As mentioned before there even were pinstripe+solid/checked combinations specifically advertised as such:

French 1937

el9s.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?70149-French-Catalog-Scans-Belle-Jardiniere/page5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy